• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NON-AE... Thursday just released a sneaker now. The interesting part to me is the material: Natty CXL available.

The tan Essex is lighter than the natural.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another mid-60s day called for another suede shoe. This is the chukka with no name that I got from our favorite eBay seller. They came with a bit of spotting on one of the vamps that I need to hit with some suede cleaner. Built on the same last as the Higgins Mill, but at 11D, it's a half-size down from what I usually wear. Hey, beggars can't be choosers with such a low run of these bad boys. Love the welt, love the unlined sued, and love the blue (although I really should be wearing these with a lighter color pants). "Meh" on the crepe sole and I wish they had 3 eyelets, but those are about my only gripes. I'm surprised this one didn't get a final run and a real name. AE should definitely think about bringing these back, but with a different sole. I'd be OK if AE called them the "Hoatie."

Sorry for the lousy pose. I either need to hem these jeans, or I need to make my legs longer. Focusing more on my leg game than my jeans game lately. Got started on building a couple of Morris chairs for my dad and myself. Laminated quarter sawn white oak with band sawn veneers on the side. I only wish my own legs were as sexy as these.
View attachment 1460419

View attachment 1460420
If you have wood left over, I would like an Eames chair, please. ☺

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're over 5'9", consider having him make it to the tall model specs. The extra back height it worth it.
20190303_130753.jpg

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hamilton in Cognac today.

20200918_113012.jpg

20200918_113039.jpg

20200918_112043.jpg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As much as I love a good Eames chair, there's no way I would ever build one. 90% of what makes that thing so comfortable are the cushions. From a woodworking perspective, there are only 3 bent, laminated, and veneered sections of plywood. I just don't have the skillset to make it comfortable which means I'll have to pay someone and make the whole thing unaffordable.

The Morris chair, on the other hand, is a project of economics. A new one at retail can run you a good $1800 on average (more or less, depending on finishes and cushion materials and whether or not you want an ottoman), and you can easily double or triple that for a vintage one in good shape. I dropped $400 on the quarter sawn white oak from a local mill, which should be plenty for the 2 chairs and ottomans, provided I don't royally screw up anything (always a possibility!). Don't know if I'm going to tackle the cushions myself, or outsource the upholstery, but if I can come in at 1/3 the cost of new, I'll consider it a major win.

Oh, and to keep it shoe related, I'm not wearing AEs today, even though it's in the 50s. Instead, I'm wearing the MiUSA boots that filled my other A "hole" for footwear. No photos, because I was playing tug-of-war with Phoebe this morning and she scratched up the toes a bit. Nobody needs to see that until I brush out those marks.

I am wearing AE socks, though. Small victories today for AE. Small victories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads