• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys: If AE could improve just one facet of their shoe making, what would that be? And I am not looking for "all" from the list below.
  1. Sole Edge finishing
  2. Stitch density
  3. upper stitching
  4. Lasting
  5. upper finishing
  6. clicking (or at least not using loose grain in obvious places)
Which one of the above would make you happiest?

I think it depends on the type of shoe. For derbies, lasting is a big issue--the eyelets often don't line up. For all shoes, I think stitching in general has been an issue. I've seen a lot of misaligned stitching on the uppers or stitches going backwards or randomly into the uppers.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the best and rarest Strands of all time. The contrast stitching kicks them up to 11.

Agreed! I thought the natural welt/cream stitching was a gamble when I set up the order, but I think they came out incredibly well. Thinking of getting some cream colored laces as well to complete the effect.

The only other pair of marbled #8 Strands I'm aware of are the ones that @JbstormburstADV got. And those are completely different than mine. They don't have the dark toe/light body effect and look a little more subdued with the darker welt/stitching, but are still amazing IMO:

1600278461067.png

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys: If AE could improve just one facet of their shoe making, what would that be? And I am not looking for "all" from the list below.
  1. Sole Edge finishing
  2. Stitch density
  3. upper stitching
  4. Lasting
  5. upper finishing

Stitch density hands down.

Rithrin

Reaction score
I really like how those turned out; great job! Definitely a style I'm a fan of.

Early Rx-8s had some extra issues, being a redesign of the engine, but yes at the end of the day they're still rotaries. It's ideal to make sure you get the engine up to operating temp before shutting it off. This isn't my first rotor-o so I think it'll be ok used as a special occasion car. ;p

I hope you have many special occasions. It looks like it'll be a fantastic driving experience!

1. Sole Edge finishing
  2. Stitch density
  3. upper stitching
  4. Lasting
  5. upper finishing

I'm going to count 2 and 3 as pretty much the same thing and choose that. If they paid more attention to the stitching, we wouldn't see all those FB posts about how the thread went into a brogue hole and how that's proof of AE being total garbage. By far the stitching seems to be the most common of complaints. With more focus on stitching, they should be able to increase the density as well.

Agreed! I thought the natural welt/cream stitching was a gamble when I set up the order, but I think they came out incredibly well. Thinking of getting some cream colored laces as well to complete the effect.

The only other pair of marbled #8 Strands I'm aware of are the ones that @JbstormburstADV got. And those are completely different than mine. They don't have the dark toe/light body effect and look a little more subdued with the darker welt/stitching, but are still amazing IMO:

View attachment 1459705

You guys are making a dark marbled Strand for next week's order a big possibility. With antique/whiskey welt for sure.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1459705

Wow, those look closer to shaved bourbon than shaved burgundy (at least to me).

@suuteebird, so I was right -- they are navy Strands?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  1. Sole Edge finishing
  2. Stitch density
  3. upper stitching
  4. Lasting
  5. upper finishing
better welt/edge finishing. a finer, smoother edge sanding and using a wire edge along with higher SPI (the redrafting department actually uses a finer stitch than the factory) and more careful welt join.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
  1. Sole Edge finishing
  2. Stitch density
  3. upper stitching
  4. Lasting
  5. upper finishing

Clicking is my biggest concern. I've seen a lot of rough cut pieces in recent years with whiskers or other imperfections.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is this world coming to?

Delivered today from someone in Wisconsin. Bought on that popular auction site for just under $20 shipped.
EBCE8914-B12B-458E-A76D-D0FCC855BA47.jpeg
$.20 worth of Bick4 and a little elbow grease. I needed an extra pair anyway. The ones in my Avatar are getting quite abused these days (just look at the toes).

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is this world coming to?

Delivered today from someone in Wisconsin. Bought on that popular auction site for just under $20 shipped.
View attachment 1459845
$.20 worth of Bick4 and a little elbow grease. I needed an extra pair anyway. The ones in my Avatar are getting quite abused these days (just look at the toes).

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. --Yogi Berra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads