• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First edition bourbon. Need to get these out of the closet more.

PXL_20200916_145622528.jpg
PXL_20200916_144522789.jpg

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE is really going to destroy their classics if they continue down this casual shoe route. It's like they are just taking the uppers of their dress shoes and throwing them on a cheaper sole. How does that not destroy the brand over time? Your dress shoes are going to look like casual shoes to an uncritical eye. This is the type of stuff you see on Alibaba or knock off brands in ROSS stores.

View attachment 1458218
I do not wear suits to work and either wear chino's or jeans on a daily basis, it's rare for me to even put some type of creased slacks on or tuck my shirt in. For my more relaxed work wear I see these shoes working very well, and they possibly could be more comfortable than my Strandmok's. I'm not saying I'm rushing out to buy a pair, but I do believe there is a market for them.
There is a very broad range of dress codes out there depending where you work and what industry you're in, not everyone needs refined dress shoes.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So question, has anyone tried on the Landon yet and how did it compare to your Higgins Mill or Patton?
I own a Higgins Mills in CXL 13D though I feel as though they fit like a 14E. So for my Patton which is in waxed Kudu I went 12D luckily this is super soft leather and had just enough give for the boot to feel like it was molded from my foot. 12E probably would have been perfect.
I'm really leaning towards a Landon for this trunk show, but just dont know what size to go with.
Also for reference I go 12.5 on my Strandmok's
13D on my Dalton's heel-toe on these feels perfect, but they seem like a skinny last and that 13E would have been best fit
Also have nomad wingtips 13D these fit about perfect as well.
I know I'm all over the place

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My fav comment on one of the FB ads for the sneakers is a person in the DR complaining that the product looks like it was produced in Puerto Rico....

Are the cup soles hand sewn on? Can you get more information about the process? Specifically, I'd like to know how these are different from the other sneakers AE makes with cup soles. What did AE do differently to make these recraftable?
I would bet not much. Spoke with my cobbler when I dropped off a pair to be recrafted. He said that he has been replacing cup soles for years.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my understanding is that while one version of natty cxl was discontinued by Horween, this is essentially the replacement. It's a water resistant version and slightly darker but still looks amazing. I'm super excited about this. I missed natural cxl a lot.
The light colored natty CXL does not stay light for long. My natty Higgies turned a beautiful mid brown with reddish tones with brushing. Almost like a ravello

Really glad to see a natty CXL return to duty. Will it appear on other shoes and boots or just the Patton?

Those turned out great!
Antique Cherry Wednesday?

View attachment 1459577
And so did those! Regret missing the Shaved8

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys: If AE could improve just one facet of their shoe making, what would that be? And I am not looking for "all" from the list below.
  1. Sole Edge finishing
  2. Stitch density
  3. upper stitching
  4. Lasting
  5. upper finishing
  6. clicking (or at least not using loose grain in obvious places)
Which one of the above would make you happiest?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys: If AE could improve just one facet of their shoe making, what would that be? And I am not looking for "all" from the list below.
  1. Sole Edge finishing
  2. Stitch density
  3. upper stitching
  4. Lasting
  5. upper finishing
6. Not using loose grain on the vamp/toe.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
  1. Sole Edge finishing
  2. Stitch density
  3. upper stitching
  4. Lasting
  5. upper finishing

4. Lasting

I've almost given up on ordering shell Leeds because the laces don't align on several pairs I own

I'm doing it again this TS but if the results are the same it will be the last time. I actually cancelled a Rancourt marbled dark cognac PTB order because it was taking forever and I figured it would be faster at this point to go through the TS. I hope I don't end up regretting that choice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads