• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WNovizar

Reaction score
@ae_ashley I have heard from my SA that the Dylan is originally made in DR, but its going to be made in USA especially for this GMTO only. is that true?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good morning gents. Cambridge for Wingtip Wednesday.
05C80F45-7F32-4297-83E6-07A0FFD8260F.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice! Do they have any of the same issues with the rotary engine that the RX8 had? Short trips seemed to be the bane of it -The engine of a friend's RX8 had a chance to get flooded and then fail to start if they traveled less than 10 miles in a single trip.

Some good taste here! Now that the antique welt comes with a buff-lite edge, the red dainite would look fantastic, imo.

And there's still people saying AE has abandoned the GYW classic line. The olive one looks particularly nice, would love to see one in person, though! Wonder if the coupons they're sending around will last until the Fall collection is released.

Something about the idea of molten debris falling from the sky, bodies piling in the streets, and the soldiers deciding that guarding the Roman equivalent of a door labeled no unauthorized entry was just THAT important they couldn't leave...

About a month ago I spotted these Ridgefields in my size and took a chance on them. Sure they looked like the previous owners used them as a beater shoe, and sure they probably were never even in the same room as a shoe tree, but they had spirit.

So today I had a chance to change
Into
They still have many telltale signs of the original wear, but ultimately that's OK. My goal was at first to simply reshape the leather a bit, flatten the creases, etc, and dye it the standard color. But once I cleaned it up, removed the original finish, and applied the dye, it looked a little...

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but slowly a little voice in my brain started chanting, "Burnish it! Burnish it!". That is what I was trying to avoid doing in the first place, but eventually decided to give it a gradient burnishing up to a diluted mahogany. Burnishing ended up being a bit too bold for my tastes, and the crappy synthetic brush was doing a poor job of the subtle blending effect required.

At this point, the choice was made to darken everything and let the mahogany shine through as a sort of faux-antique patina.

From the original photos, the linen looked simply heavily creased. In person there turned out to be several small gashes and loose fibers. While I'm no expert, I did my best to steam the linen, clean it up, and then iron a few key areas. If it weren't for the linen issues, I'd probably get this resoled at some point, but instead I'm just happy it presents well at 6 feet.

All in all, I think it went well and will attempt other used shoe restorations in the future. Would love to hear any feedback, tips, or constructive criticism you lot might have.
I really like how those turned out; great job! Definitely a style I'm a fan of.

Early Rx-8s had some extra issues, being a redesign of the engine, but yes at the end of the day they're still rotaries. It's ideal to make sure you get the engine up to operating temp before shutting it off. This isn't my first rotor-o so I think it'll be ok used as a special occasion car. ;p

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never seen AE green shell in person. Are they really that dark??? They don't look green unless you put them in the correct lighting. I don't love my olive strands, because they are too damn dark.

The green looks dang near black indoors (so does the blue shell), and it looks dark green in lower light outside. In direct lighting though, it does look pretty green. Same shoes, different day.

E1B25288-3BD0-4553-AD97-9880C699062D.jpeg

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m happy to see the Patton in Natty CXL.

The pictures of this pair look more brownish than what I normally see with unaged CXL. I wonder how many complaints they are going to get when the Natty CXL that is received doesn’t look like this.
I agree, doesn’t look like natty, looks brown.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im very concerned about next year. I’m going to stick to my 6-pair quota this year, but I see several pairs on a possible list for next year:

CXL Patton
Canvas Strands
Suede/CXL/Shell Trunk Shows
Webgems
GMTO

I haven’t set my quota for next year yet, but I’m scared

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my understanding is that while one version of natty cxl was discontinued by Horween, this is essentially the replacement. It's a water resistant version and slightly darker but still looks amazing. I'm super excited about this. I missed natural cxl a lot.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ae_ashley I have heard from my SA that the Dylan is originally made in DR, but its going to be made in USA especially for this GMTO only. is that true?
So I actually had to check on this. Looks like the Dylan and the Sneaker are staying in the DR for production. Wisconsin doesn't do cupsoles or handsewns.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I actually had to check on this. Looks like the Dylan and the Sneaker are staying in the DR for production. Wisconsin doesn't do cupsoles or handsewns.
My fav comment on one of the FB ads for the sneakers is a person in the DR complaining that the product looks like it was produced in Puerto Rico....

Are the cup soles hand sewn on? Can you get more information about the process? Specifically, I'd like to know how these are different from the other sneakers AE makes with cup soles. What did AE do differently to make these recraftable?

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve ordered three or four “natty” CXL products from various makers recently. Will report back with comparison pics upon arrival. Some appear light brown to even greyish on my monitor. Will be interesting to see the actual variances. I wonder if Horween changed the recipe or if the hides are just not as clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads