• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do all you guys think of a Park Ave (I going to say that word) sneaker. Not as busy as a Strand. Personally I would like to see something like an austerity brogue with a dark cup sole and contrast stitch. Oh yeah, made in a size that fits me. I would go for a weekender like that.
Why are we referring to such a thing as a weekender? What’s wrong with super casual in the week? What’s wrong with dress on the weekend?

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Off topic (but of interest) I was just told by my local retailer that Alden will no longer stock natty CXL but will still make shoes with it upon request

[Edited to clarify natty CXL only]

Last edited:

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Hello Men:

Men, what do you make of this?

I purchased this pair of Hamilton two days ago as a sort of consolation prize to myself at the $170 sale price when my intended Patton were no longer available in my size. These boots just arrived--impressively fast shipping--and upon unboxing them, this un-stuck sticker fell out of the right boot...

IMG_8485.jpeg

Certain panels are perfectly smooth on one boot but pebbled on the other, though I note no "inconsistent finish" issues that were evidently remedied. Was this sticker an "oops" that someone in the factory forgot to remove when they shipped out to me, whereby this boot was returned/rejected for quality issues, and then repaired and re-sold as a first quality...? Has anyone seen one of these stickers before? Weird.

These are a D width and they seem to fit ok with thinner socks, even though I wear an E width in the Strand and McAllister from the same 65 last. My idea with an all-weather Patton was to have a nice option to wear to work when it rains, and while I'm not sure how much I will wear the Hamilton, it's a good deal for $170.

IMG_8488.jpeg

DawgPound

Reaction score
Between those two, Higgins. The waxed suede is best! Plus, no half measures!

That, and the Hamilton. I'm not going to be the one that doesn't suggest the Hamilton.
I really like the look of the Higgy; with the matte finish of the suede, and the black hardware, laces, and Dainite, it's a very sharp makeup.
Thanks! Order placed for both and will see which I like better. Great price for firsts.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Lady boots today with my last pair of Daddy pants. These were not made for me, they were his pants. Due to size differences, the alterations were incredible. So my wife decided to surprise me by fixing them up. Instead of measuring me, she took a pair of my pants that fit and deconstructed to measure up. Just got these the other day a long with the pair that went missing a month back.
View attachment 1441355 View attachment 1441356
Skimming through the thread this morning, your pants immediately caught my eye and look great with the ladyboys. Sharp!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello Men:

I purchased this pair of Hamilton two days ago as a sort of consolation prize to myself at the $170 sale price when my intended Patton were no longer available in my size. These boots just arrived--impressively fast shipping--and upon unboxing them, this un-stuck sticker fell out of the right boot...

View attachment 1441398

Certain panels are perfectly smooth on one boot but pebbled on the other, though I note no "inconsistent finish" issues that were evidently remedied. Was this sticker an "oops" that someone in the factory forgot to remove when they shipped out to me, whereby this boot was returned/rejected for quality issues, and then repaired and re-sold as a first quality...? Has anyone seen one of these stickers before? Weird.

These are a D width and they seem to fit ok with thinner socks, even though I wear an E width in the Strand and McAllister from the same 65 last. My idea with an all-weather Patton was to have a nice option to wear to work when it rains, and while I'm not sure how much I will wear the Hamilton, it's a good deal for $170.

View attachment 1441402
Based on the wording, it looks like they refinished the sole edges. I think they look great! Non uniform pebbling is normal on these, from my experience.
These can be your wet weather shoes, just like the Patton. They've got dainite, and the tan can just evolve as you use them.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lady boots today with my last pair of Daddy pants. These were not made for me, they were his pants. Due to size differences, the alterations were incredible. So my wife decided to surprise me by fixing them up. Instead of measuring me, she took a pair of my pants that fit and deconstructed to measure up. Just got these the other day a long with the pair that went missing a month back.
View attachment 1441355 View attachment 1441356

I like these trousers, what are they?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why are we referring to such a thing as a weekender? What’s wrong with super casual in the week? What’s wrong with dress on the weekend?
Not using that “s” word.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello Men:

View attachment 1441398

View attachment 1441402
Many things could have happened. The factory had an internal quality rework. A store could have sent back for the issue. But usually once a shoe is out of AE’s control the inventory just sits until it gets sold on sale or they can decide to make it a second after the fact. I worked in a shoe factory years ago and we did a lot of rework. If you attached a heel wrong, you would just take it off and do it again. I don’t think AE lets employee’s rework on their own though. Common mistakes from years ago always came when two people are trying to knock out a pair. Like two different sized heels on one pair of shoes.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off topic (but of interest) I was just told by my local retailer that Alden will no longer stock CXL but will still make shoes with it upon request
So Alden doesn't do MTOs to my knowledge, so does this mean they will do a batch of CXL SMUs ordered by their retailers? hope so
Hello Men:

View attachment 1441398

View attachment 1441402
Well the sticker makes you go Hmmm, as do the inconsistent panels (but only if you look close), but the photo you posted says Great lookin Boot!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Off topic (but of interest) I was just told by my local retailer that Alden will no longer stock CXL but will still make shoes with it upon request
I think this is appropriate for CXL. Unless the customer understands CXL, you get too many loose grain issues. Or customers unhappy with how the shoe ages over time. Even straight vegetable tannage gets the complaint when it is really getting great patina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads