• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Men--

What have I done?

I have no room in my closet for more shoes, but the one addition I've been willing to make an exception for is a suede, all-weather boot that I can wear to the office on rainy days. For the better part of this past week, I have been refreshing an AE page on a certain perfect sale-item bathing beauty of a boot that has been sold out in my size, maddeningly, and I have diminishing faith that a pop-back return will present itself at this juncture.

At any rate, I woke up at 6:00 this morning and dutifully checked for my white whale suede boot. No luck as usual, but "ADDITIONAL 30% OFF OF SALE APPLIED IN CART" caught my eye.

Wutttt...?

I was half-awake, but I quickly scanned these additional 30% sale items in my size. A $375 suede Strand, 1st quality, for $100...? A $425 Hamilton--or what I consider a "hi-top dress shoe"--for $175...? I didn't really think about it, but I reacted like a sledgehammer on the add-to-cart button and I purchased the two. One thing I do not need is another Strand, and in fact, I just sold an excellent Strand weave on the popular auction site because I'm so Strand-heavy.

...but $100 for a 1st quality suede Strand? That's practically free. Right?

The problem is that I wear a D width in everything...but the 65 last, where I bump up to an E. Kind of like how I have been "allergic" to penicillin my whole life but nobody remembers what happens or when I took it, I can't recall actually trying a D width in the 65 last. Sometimes when wearing a thinner sock with one of my E width Strand or McAllister, I would not go so far as to qualify the experience as a full spelunk, but I am conscious of the roominess. If in fact these two 65-lasted, final sale items are too snug in the D width, can they be returned? I suppose at these prices I can flip them on the popular auction site and get my $$ back.

View attachment 1440282 View attachment 1440283
I can definitely tell you that the suede Strand runs tight. Both of my Suede Strands are my most tight 65 lasted shoes.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how hard is it for you guys with white leather to keep the leather white?

Easy. I wear boots when it's time to slop the hogs.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wear what you are comfortable in, for work I like to rock a "polo" style shirt and some "chinos" I feel like people are to judgmental and put too much emphasis on other peoples fashion choices. We all aren't in the same tax bracket and can't afford the same luxuries ;)
I have to keep up with my wife, her style is some bizarre cross between hobo and hippie with a dash of gypsy thrown in.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Does it matter? I won't wear Chino's but have bought lots of khakis as advertised. The shoe game is filled with misnomers. For instance, AE continually will refer to Oxford shoes as a Bamoral. Marketing plays fast and loose with the truth and I am ok with that.
I'll play.

Khaki is a color that was so widespread for military uniforms that the definition was usurped. Chino is a fabric. An oxford isn't a balmoral so technically AE uses the term incorrectly. It's kinda like a Kleenex versus a tissue or Coke versus a soda.

And just for kicks:

edit:

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite my best efforts, I probably won’t be able to join in the TS this year. But, I can probably pull off a pair of Hamilton’s. Which one should i choose, Tan Nubuck or Cognac?

Also, Jefferson 2.0 today.
45C4A9F4-86B1-4CF4-8C8B-9488DE70D389.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shell Jefferson 1.0 always treats me just right.

IMG_20200813_095619.jpg
IMG_20200813_095303.jpg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men--

What have I done?

I have no room in my closet for more shoes, but the one addition I've been willing to make an exception for is a suede, all-weather boot that I can wear to the office on rainy days. For the better part of this past week, I have been refreshing an AE page on a certain perfect sale-item bathing beauty of a boot that has been sold out in my size, maddeningly, and I have diminishing faith that a pop-back return will present itself at this juncture.

At any rate, I woke up at 6:00 this morning and dutifully checked for my white whale suede boot. No luck as usual, but "ADDITIONAL 30% OFF OF SALE APPLIED IN CART" caught my eye.

Wutttt...?

I was half-awake, but I quickly scanned these additional 30% sale items in my size. A $375 suede Strand, 1st quality, for $100...? A $425 Hamilton--or what I consider a "hi-top dress shoe"--for $175...? I didn't really think about it, but I reacted like a sledgehammer on the add-to-cart button and I purchased the two. One thing I do not need is another Strand, and in fact, I just sold an excellent Strand weave on the popular auction site because I'm so Strand-heavy.

The problem is that I wear a D width in everything...but the 65 last, where I bump up to an E. Kind of like how I have been "allergic" to penicillin my whole life but nobody remembers what happens or when I took it, I can't recall actually trying a D width in the 65 last. Sometimes when wearing a thinner sock with one of my E width Strand or McAllister, I would not go so far as to qualify the experience as a full spelunk, but I am conscious of the roominess. If in fact these two 65-lasted, final sale items are too snug in the D width, can they be returned? I suppose at these prices I can flip them on the popular auction site and get my $$ back.

That Patton is available in your size in the snuff suede with an extra 30% off.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll play.

Khaki is a color that was so widespread for military uniforms that the definition was usurped. Chino is a fabric. An oxford isn't a balmoral so technically AE uses the term incorrectly. It's kinda like a Kleenex versus a tissue or Coke versus a soda.

And just for kicks:

edit:
I agree that it is frustrating that companies misuse the terms left and right, as does the public at large. That said, I will be watching your future posts for all term inaccuracies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Despite my best efforts, I probably won’t be able to join in the TS this year. But, I can probably pull off a pair of Hamilton’s. Which one should i choose, Tan Nubuck or Cognac?

Also, Jefferson 2.0 today. View attachment 1440327
Tan Nubuck.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
obliged, but in fairness that sartorial savvy (hehehehe see what i did?) is all @spiermackay i just put it on. :hide:

They really have become a HELL of a powerhouse.

I see, I see! :D

"Clothes make the man" as my signature says ;)

I don't need anything at the moment, but when I do, they're the first place I'm going to buy something.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men--

What have I done?

Wutttt...?

“If there’s no more room in your closet, then just don’t put them in the closet”—Abraham Lincoln

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men--

What have I done?

Wutttt...?

View attachment 1440282
Yea, I've looked at that hamilton a few times and it is actually available in my size. At $175 it is really tempting but I strongly dislike dainite so that condition has made it just enough to hold off.

Phoenician

Reaction score
Picked up the Crosby Street split toe derby today in 'Cigar' color in their sale. Love the color and the shoe design; no clue on how the last will fit my foot though. But figured for $130 on sale, it's worth a try and not much downside there.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yea, I've looked at that hamilton a few times and it is actually available in my size. At $175 it is really tempting but I strongly dislike dainite so that condition has made it just enough to hold off.
Admittedly, the tan nubuck comes with olive dainite, which takes away some of the sting for me. I love the boots enough that I can live with dainite on them, for what that's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads