• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A cup sole is common on some boat shoes and many sneakers. The sole gets stitched horizontally to the upper rather than vertically like in a GYW shoe. In this case once the upper is made it's just placed into the appropriate size cup sole and stitched together. How would you re-last the upper? Would you be doing the sneaker re-crafting here in the U.S.?
Hey Nick! The REAL answer right now is that I don't know. I plan to educate myself on the new development ASAP and as extensively as possible. Hang tight and i'll find out, but thanks for the question.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But it would smell really good right up until you suffocated.

My green shell Parks smelled kind of like dried pot when they were new. I liked the smell.

In regards to sneakers, the thought crossed my mind: Is Ashley joking with us about the shell sneakers? Or is this for real? I'll have to wait and see what they look like before I can make my own judgement.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, ok...I can't help it. Two small teasers before I'm actually able to share ALL the deets:

1. Fall shell show will be held from Sep. 24th-28th!
2. Among the lineup, we will include two NEW shell sneakers that are completely recraftable. *checks notes*
Yep...yep...I think that's a first. Can't tell you how excited I am about this, but I CAN tell you that they are utterly amazing. I already have a rider list of demands for my own sneaker, and I look forward to basking in the glory of the fanciest pair of sneaks I've ever owned.

Discuss! :lurk:

HHmm as it turns out the 24th happens to be my birthday, so long as I have started my new job by then I just may be on board for my first trunk show/shell purchase!

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ae_ashley
I imagine something like the Gustin. These are colour 8 CXL.
IMG_20200608_1836327.jpg
IMG_20200625_1957584.jpg

Last edited:

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that's a very valid point; perception based on existing naming can heavily affect how people react. Not calling them sneakers is definitely a way to soften the blow. Marketing guys can do some impressive perception turns... Bleeding Madras anyone?
Though visually, whether they're called sneaker it Weekender, I think you will need to wear the RIGHT chino (tapered, probably rolled cuffs) to not have dissonance.

But at the end of the day, why can't the casual people enjoy shell as well? Are we being elitest forcing them to buy welted dress shoes if they want to appreciate shell?
Why would a "sneaker" need to be paired with chinos? I see some of you guys in this thread wear your Cornwallis with jeans. That shoe to my eye looks pretty close to a whole cut, and in my mind is not something that should be paired with jeans.
I for one am excited and open to this idea and want to see what the end product is they are offering.
Let's take for example the SF01 shoe that is for sale by another affiliate on this site. It is an expensive sneaker that does not offer recraftability. I think depending on shoe design and construction AE may be onto something here. I feel better about spending the amount of money that AE shoe's cost knowing in my mind they can be recrafted. If I'm going to buy something that's not recraftable at this price point the market is wide open for "sneakers"

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why would a "sneaker" need to be paired with chinos? I see some of you guys in this thread wear your Cornwallis with jeans. That shoe to my eye looks pretty close to a whole cut, and in my mind is not something that should be paired with jeans.
I for one am excited and open to this idea and want to see what the end product is they are offering.
Let's take for example the SF01 shoe that is for sale by another affiliate on this site. It is an expensive sneaker that does not offer recraftability. I think depending on shoe design and construction AE may be onto something here. I feel better about spending the amount of money that AE shoe's cost knowing in my mind they can be recrafted. If I'm going to buy something that's not recraftable at this price point the market is wide open for "sneakers"
That was a dig at me because I can’t stand the word chino. Sounds to me like a woman’s garment. But I have and wear khakis in different non brown colors.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was a dig at me because I can’t stand the word chino. Sounds to me like a woman’s garment. But I have and wear khakis in different non brown colors.
I myself have khaki's in a multitude of color's and unless I push the bounds of the casual side of business casual and wear jeans to work, I'm always in a different shade of khaki's. For me that's why I like the strandmok's so much because I feel they are right at home with this pant style, and can even be pulled off with jeans.
Also depending on what the styling of this "sneaker" is going to be, I could see it in a casual work setting as well.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how hard is it for you guys with white leather to keep the leather white?
Mine are actually bone, but with a layer of nuetral wax any spills or gunk come right off.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not the word, but rather how we say it.
My Daddy hated it when I said, Mexican. I never understood it, because 50% of my bloodline is Mexican.
I believe that when I say the words "sneaker" or "chino", it sounds extremely sexy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads