• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sneakers...real sneakers...you spent HOW much on a pair of sneakers??? Chucks are like half the price of those!
I get it. You don't want to see change, but it's happening either way. You spending nearly $100 on sneakers is just as insane to people as AE selling sneakers is for you. No reason to be a Debbie Downer (on multiple threads) until you've at least seen the product.
Oh, I didn't spend anywhere near $100 on them, in fact less than 1/2 that. But your point is well taken, and I will refrain from further comment, as I value your input and opinions, and the last thing I want to do on this forum is offend anyone with my opinions.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cross post from Alden thread:

I value the input, comments and posts of the person who called me out on the sneaker thing. So will refrain from further comments on them as I certainly don't want to offend anyone on these threads. We are all here for the footwear, and everyone's opinion on footwear is as valid as anyone else's. Bottom line is, we all like shoes and boots, and all have different opinions about what is good, or not. My opinion, is just that, my opinion, and not any more valuable than any other member's.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, ok...I can't help it. Two small teasers before I'm actually able to share ALL the deets:

1. Fall shell show will be held from Sep. 24th-28th!
2. Among the lineup, we will include two NEW shell sneakers that are completely recraftable. *checks notes*
Yep...yep...I think that's a first. Can't tell you how excited I am about this, but I CAN tell you that they are utterly amazing. I already have a rider list of demands for my own sneaker, and I look forward to basking in the glory of the fanciest pair of sneaks I've ever owned.

Discuss! :lurk:

Oy vey.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to purchase more AE shell this year.
My daughter had an opportunity to experience the AE shell, but she did not like them. She indicated that they are too damn shiny and they look like cheap plastic.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lydia pretty well finished my vambrace today.

gauntlet.jpg

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A Goodyear welted sneaker would be incredibly stiff. They're stitched around a cup sole. The upper can still be relasted and a new sole stitched around.

A cup sole is common on some boat shoes and many sneakers. The sole gets stitched horizontally to the upper rather than vertically like in a GYW shoe. In this case once the upper is made it's just placed into the appropriate size cup sole and stitched together. How would you re-last the upper? Would you be doing the sneaker re-crafting here in the U.S.?

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s probably a good call to keep the window short when you are offering natural, walnut, truffle, and reverse color 2. Keep the normies out

:nest:

This is my dream as well. I know ashley said how difficult it was to obtain natty but I absorb information like Lloyd Christmas

dumb-and-dumber-theres-a-chance-gif.gif

Last edited:

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A cup sole is common on some boat shoes and many sneakers. The sole gets stitched horizontally to the upper rather than vertically like in a GYW shoe. In this case once the upper is made it's just placed into the appropriate size cup sole and stitched together. How would you re-last the upper? Would you be doing the sneaker re-crafting here in the U.S.?
Sounds handssewn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads