• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents--FYI: just listed 2 pair of Cornwallis (Navy and Black) in 10 eee in the classifieds. The last does not fit my foot well :(

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gents--FYI: just listed 2 pair of Cornwallis (Navy and Black) in 10 eee in the classifieds. The last does not fit my foot well :(
You may not like the Aberdeen last either then; I found it to have a narrower toe area

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just heard from @jpm1 that Horween has discontinued natural cxl. So sad and heartbreaking. I guess this means, no natural cxl Higigns is ever returning again.
I was told to buy natural cxl several months back because of the shortage. I was able to get a few things I really wanted. I hope others will act now and buy if you find something you want. Who knows how long it will be if they decide to offer it again.

Damn. I think I'm headed out to buy an Alden 9501 after work. If I wear a 12B in all things AE should I go with an 11.5B on the Alden Barrie?

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You may not like the Aberdeen last either then; I found it to have a narrower toe area
yes, narrow toe area
IMG_4119.jpeg

ptfly

Reaction score
Damn. I think I'm headed out to buy an Alden 9501 after work. If I wear a 12B in all things AE should I go with an 11.5B on the Alden Barrie?
#James1051 might be able to help. I think he is B width and more experience with a range of aldens in B. I have had luck with the Aberdeen but looks like you are looking for a PTB. I have never found an AA/B barrie last in stock to try on.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's what I did. I found it fits really well, but the instep is a little lower than I expected. I might have been able to fit into my usual size, but the toe area would have been pretty wide. Probably the most comparable AE last would be the 1757, but the Barrie fits much larger.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be the canonical place to start, but as someone already mentioned, you're pretty unlikely to find any B widths in stock to actually try on.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#James1051 might be able to help. I think he is B width and more experience with a range of aldens in B. I have had luck with the Aberdeen but looks like you are looking for a PTB. I have never found an AA/B barrie last in stock to try on.
I wear a 13B in almost everything. In Alden Barrie, I take a 12.5B, and the fit is damn near perfect. So 11.5B would be the call for you, as a first attempt with Barrie. Since its your first Barrie, try on gingerly so you can return if it doesn't work for you.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear a 13B in almost everything. In Alden Barrie, I take a 12.5B, and the fit is damn near perfect. So 11.5B would be the call for you, as a first attempt with Barrie. Since its your first Barrie, try on gingerly so you can return if it doesn't work for you.
Barrie, like TB lasts are usually 1/2 down from Brannock. There is a great reference "guide" on page 1 of the Alden thread.

Now back to AE

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just heard from @jpm1 that Horween has discontinued natural cxl. So sad and heartbreaking. I guess this means, no natural cxl Higigns is ever returning again.

Horween has not stopped Natural CXL production, it will continue as it is one of their most popular leathers.

Alden has stopped buying Horween's Natural CXL and has stopped making shoes/boots from that leather.

@jpm1 has confirmed the same on his FB post.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horween has not stopped Natural CXL production, it will continue as it is one of their most popular leathers.

Alden has stopped buying Horween's Natural CXL and has stopped making shoes/boots from that leather.

@jpm1 has confirmed the same on his FB post.

I certainly do not want to spreading false information, and I hope you're right, because I love natural cxl. That's a shame if Alden has stopped buying it, but I'm glad I got my 9501 shoes already.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads