• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcdx22

Reaction score
Anyone have pics of walnut calf Strands vs bourbon shell Strands side by side for comparison purposes? Thanks!

ignore. my picture was calf bourbon.

Attachments

• IMG_20200225_205753.jpg
    IMG_20200225_205753.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 29

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it blasphemy to say that I like the black shell version better than the color 8 version? Something about black is just so classic.

IMG_20200803_095631.jpg
IMG_20200803_095420.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to. These shoes are unlined so you can actually see through the hole at the right angle. But anyway, yes, the holes are a bit elongated making them look like a bit more than a typical stitch hole and more like a tiny slice. I am about 90% sure it's normal/fine in part because all of them look basically the same but it's just a little disconcerting to see since I am used to being a little panicky about cracks in vintage shell.

Thanks for the tip on the heel pad. I should have mentioned that this last also seems to run just a bit short in my opinion. For a handsewn, it's fine. But I don't want to occupy too much space with a conventional fuzzy heel pad. Your idea is a good one. Will look around for some options.
Looks ok to me!

Another option is a tacky rubber one. I got some heel pads from AE (that are too thick) that were rubberized rather than fabric. Those help a lot with grip. Maybe just go to town with some clear silicone, similar to no-show socks???

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Looks ok to me!

Another option is a tacky rubber one. I got some heel pads from AE (that are too thick) that were rubberized rather than fabric. Those help a lot with grip. Maybe just go to town with some clear silicone, similar to no-show socks???

Cool, thanks man. Maybe... posting some options in case anyone else might be curious. Tacco offers this style: https://www.shoecaresupplies.com/Foot_Aids_p/tacco-sling-heel-grips.htm

Saphir also offers heel pads in three heights, which seem a little more substantial. https://www.valmour.com/heel-grips-saphir.html

There are definitely various options. I'll wear them for a day and see how I feel. I think the thin tacco ones might be good since I could set them up just below the top of the heel without compromising much, if any, length. Just not sure if they'll be durable in this use case or if they'll be likely to fall off. The silicone idea is also interesting. Hadn't thought of that either. :) You have lots of good ideas today.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool, thanks man. Maybe... posting some options in case anyone else might be curious. Tacco offers this style: https://www.shoecaresupplies.com/Foot_Aids_p/tacco-sling-heel-grips.htm

Saphir also offers heel pads in three heights, which seem a little more substantial. https://www.valmour.com/heel-grips-saphir.html

There are definitely various options. I'll wear them for a day and see how I feel. I think the thin tacco ones might be good since I could set them up just below the top of the heel without compromising much, if any, length. Just not sure if they'll be durable in this use case or if they'll be likely to fall off. The silicone idea is also interesting. Hadn't thought of that either. :) You have lots of good ideas today.
Haha!

I like the tacco ones (haven't tried myself) because they are non-obtrusive and because shoecaresupplies has done a good job for me in the past.

You're right - that adhesive will let go...I had considered the @mreams99 barge cement idea to permanently affix a heel grip to a pair of loafers myself...

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Neo1
@madhat

Figured I would post about the shell kenwoods that we were discussing last week. They arrived this morning... In terms of fit they seem reasonable but not ideal. For me, the heels are a bit loose and the ball is perhaps a hair narrow (but ok, I think). Incidentally, the instep is totally fine. I would not say they are loose but they are most definitely not tight. I may need to do something about the heel slip but before doing so I need to try some other sock options. The trial fit was with very thin dress socks. Ideally, I'd probably need a dress sock with some heel padding but still very thin for the forefoot. Or alternatively rather than trying to find some kind of bizarre sock I might consider either a heel pad or a very thin tongue pad, which I suspect I might be able to accomodate.

I do have a quick question though for anyone that happens to have a pair of shell kenwoods. The hand stitching at the back counter... does this look normal? It looks pretty much this way on both sides of both shoes so I am thinking it is nothing to be concerned about but wanted to ask nonetheless since if this is NOT healthy it's probably impossible to fix.

View attachment 1435425 View attachment 1435424
Traditional beef roll construction. You are looking at the lasting tacks that are nailed at the back quarters. This anchors the leather at the back of the shoe to the hand stitching can be done up front.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Haha!

I like the tacco ones because they are non-obtrusive and because shoecaresupplies has done a good job for me in the past.

You're right - that adhesive will let go...I had considered the @mreams99 barge cement idea to permanently affix a heel grip to a pair of loafers myself...

Yah I assumed that was probably the case since I have some experience with replacement tacco heel insert things (spacing the right name) and the adhesive seemed iffy to me on those. As it turns out they have held quite well but they are much less prone to being trifled with at the bottom of the heel vs. the spot that we are talking about now. The barge cement idea is also a really good idea.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Traditional beef roll construction. You are looking at the lasting tacks that are nailed at the back quarters. This anchors the leather at the back of the shoe to the hand stitching can be done up front.

I had a feeling that i might cause some confusion there after I went back to look at what I had photographed and written... sorry for the lack of clarity in my first post. I wasn't actually referring to the lasting holes that, as you noted, are also visible. Rather, I was talking about the start of the horizontal hand stitch that goes around the back of the heel counter. The holes are longer then expected and almost like a tiny slice. I'm pretty sure it's normal and @madhat seemed to think so also.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a feeling that i might cause some confusion there after I went back to look at what I had photographed and written... sorry for the lack of clarity in my first post. I wasn't actually referring to the lasting holes that, as you noted, are also visible. Rather, I was talking about the start of the horizontal hand stitch that goes around the back of the heel counter. The holes are longer then expected and almost like a tiny slice. I'm pretty sure it's normal and @madhat seemed to think so also.
Ok, it is actually a ****. That shoe is a very basic hand sewn. Quite classic.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chili shell on olive ? might work, or look like Christmas shoes? ?
I don’t think there is any danger there.

chili is not a Christmas red and the olive is subtle and most wouldn’t even notice it

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yah I assumed that was probably the case since I have some experience with replacement tacco heel insert things (spacing the right name) and the adhesive seemed iffy to me on those. As it turns out they have held quite well but they are much less prone to being trifled with at the bottom of the heel vs. the spot that we are talking about now. The barge cement idea is also a really good idea.

I'd caution you on the barge cement. Both heel grips and tongue pads flatten out with wear.
When that happens they need to be replaced. If you cemented them in with Barge -or- a similar product it's a bear to remove the pads and there will likely be some remnants left inside the shoe that you cant get out.
With the heel grips, make sure that you use a shoe horn when you first apply them. That will prevent the heel grip from rolling down when you put your foot in. It also helps to firmly set the heel grip in place. If used properly you shouldn't have any problems and both devices are effective.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I'd caution you on the barge cement. Both heel grips and tongue pads flatten out with wear.
When that happens they need to be replaced. If you cemented them in with Barge -or- a similar product it's a bear to remove the pads and there will likely be some remnants left inside the shoe that you cant get out.
With the heel grips, make sure that you use a shoe horn when you first apply them. That will prevent the heel grip from rolling down when you put your foot in. It also helps to firmly set the heel grip in place. If used properly you shouldn't have any problems and both devices are effective.

Thanks Nick! Much appreciate the feedback. I always use a shoe horn so no issue there and will use it to try to get the pad set properly.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are regularly conditioned, yes, conditioner can keep the leather supple for decades, but once they've sat and turned to stone...you can try...but expect to be disappointed.
I was looking back over for this. How often should 'regularly' be? Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics