• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Strange outside now. One drop of rain every 30 seconds. Burnished Olive weave Strand is up to the weather.
1902F2FF-FBDE-44CA-A6AE-A966298CC328.jpeg

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Already sold out (and therefore not competing here with any AE product) but still posting for those who may be interested to see what Cigar shell looks like as I don't recall seeing it here. Could be wrong. ???? Ps. It looks pretty nice to me.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aaaaah. Thank you. I have "bad" closure on all my shoes, which I assign to just being a 3E and/or having high insteps too. Do any 3E's here have good closure to report, as in not a wide "V"? Thanks.
If you're looking for oxfords, Alden's Hampton last cures the large v gap for @smfdoc . He's able to get pretty good closure as I recall if her sizes correctly in Macs and Leeds.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for oxfords, Alden's Hampton last cures the large v gap for @smfdoc . He's able to get pretty good closure as I recall if her sizes correctly in Macs and Leeds.

Funny that you say this because my pair of 911 shoes closes about the same as most of my AE 201 balmorals. Was mine just made a little smaller than normal? Who knows. I'm just here to confuse you all.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I really just am curious to know if any 3E's wearing AE's experience good/appropriate closure or if instead, the majority do not. Like me. ☺

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I really just am curious to know if any 3E's wearing AE's experience good/appropriate closure or if instead, the majority do not. Like me. ☺

It really depends. Some pairs I get good closure and some are not quite there. They do get better as they break in, but some pairs just never quite make it there and some are there right from the start. Most of my pairs are on the 65 last, so this isn’t really a difference in lasts either.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It really depends. Some pairs I get good closure and some are not quite there. They do get better as they break in, but some pairs just never quite make it there and some are there right from the start. Most of my pairs are on the 65 last, so this isn’t really a difference in lasts either.
I think you find this across all sizes. My foot is narrower but I get good closure on a Strand. But if the Strand is made from suede, it is quite a large V gap. I have a decent arch on a very flat foot. In the 65 last a 9.5B is a great fit at the ball but tight across the top of the foot. In a C width, top of the foot is perfect but their is excess leather across the vamp. My more formal pairs in this last are B width and I try to go with a C width in weaves and suede. In the 201 and 1943 a B width fits great all over. Not as many options in those lasts though.

BKoepke

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads