• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll share my secret with the shoe bags:

I typically do not order online.
I order in-store where I can discuss sizes and fit and have my shoes shipped-to-store.
When they arrive, i get a call or email and i get to visit with my SAs - people i genuinely like conversing with.
And I get to try on my shoes there and get some feedback.
When it's time to go, they pack my shoes back in the box.
If there's only one bag or if it's the newer ****** bags, they go in the back and get me 2 of the old style canvas bags, one for each shoe - as it should be.

So, if it's an option for you - have it shipped to store.
Not an option for me, being 6 hours away from nearest store, but I do use a preferred store via phone.

...if I'm honest, only half my shoes are bagged at any time so I have a stack of either boot or shoe bags (depending) in the bottom of my closet until season change

dpgaloot

Reaction score
Happy Friday forum friends!

I haven't worn these often enough. Green shell First Aves to get ready for the weekend. It's always boot weather, but especially when you barely leave the house.

Question for this group...how important are boot trees vs shoe trees? I just ordered another box of Rochester XXXL shoe trees which I use in my boots (wish AE made that size shoe tree but they don't). Do I need to start throwing down for real boot trees?

First_Ave_Grn__Shell_25.jpg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't worn these often enough. Green shell First Aves to get ready for the weekend. It's always boot weather, but especially when you barely leave the house.

Question for this group...how important are boot trees vs shoe trees? I just ordered another box of Rochester XXXL shoe trees which I use in my boots (wish AE made that size shoe tree but they don't). Do I need to start throwing down for real boot trees?

View attachment 1421847
I don't have any boot trees; I just use regular shoe trees in my boots (and I much prefer Rochester trees over Woodlore, too, BTW).

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would have been a must buy for me too if it wasn't for that meddling gumlite lug sole.
Oh it’s gum lite. Thought it was itshide
These were after the Toby mini-lug people loved, but before the translugs and then Itshide
Gotcha. I was doing some searching on them just now and looks like the tread is at least a little deeper than some other lug soles out there that look like the tread will be gone in a week of honest wear.

Well, in a different catalog they called the Thousand Oaks an "oiled nubuck" and the sole was a "light-weight lug." I think they would wear down pretty easily if one really were hard on them, but they are holding up nicely for me with only the occasional wearing.

IMG_9015.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1421847
I don't own boot trees. The main thing is helping the major flex point (vamp area) maintain shape. The shafts don't have nearly the deformation with wear.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, in a different catalog they called the Thousand Oaks an "oiled nubuck" and the sole was a "light-weight lug." I think they would wear down pretty easily if one really were hard on them, but they are holding up nicely for me with only the occasional wearing.

View attachment 1421865
You play guitar, too? I see some tablature under the business reply envelope...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll share my secret with the shoe bags:

I typically do not order online.
I order in-store where I can discuss sizes and fit and have my shoes shipped-to-store.
When they arrive, i get a call or email and i get to visit with my SAs - people i genuinely like conversing with.
And I get to try on my shoes there and get some feedback.
When it's time to go, they pack my shoes back in the box.
If there's only one bag or if it's the newer ****** bags, they go in the back and get me 2 of the old style canvas bags, one for each shoe - as it should be.

So, if it's an option for you - have it shipped to store.
That is how I do it.
It must be nice to live within a reasonable distance to an actual store. If I want to visit an AE store, I have to plan a whole day, as driving will consume 1/2 of the day. So I order online, if and when I order. Of course Ashley does email me every now and then with things she finds that might be of interest :) And that is why she is the total, consummate professional that she is.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You play guitar, too? I see some tablature under the business reply envelope...
I beat on the guitar as I am only self taught with limited skills. i played as a teen and a little as an adult. I decided to get a new guitar, so I picked this up in Nazareth. This ended a lusting that has lasted a half century.

34FE54D5-B2D6-4E41-8F40-D598218B055E.jpeg

My renewed interest in guitar stems from “The other favorites” on YouTube. His name is Joshua Lee Turner and I highly recommend you check out his channel at Josh Turner Guitar. Josh is the first guy playing on this video. An old favorite for people of the right age. This video was his Thank You for passing 10 million views.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what year the “Center Fielder” came out? Not sure if it was 2010 with the MLB collection or 2014. Pretty sure they were made in the DR, but not sure they were doing that back in ‘10.

Having trouble locating them on Issuu.com

TIA

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I beat on the guitar as I am only self taught with limited skills. i played as a teen and a little as an adult. I decided to get a new guitar, so I picked this up in Nazareth. This ended a lusting that has lasted a half century.

View attachment 1421990

My renewed interest in guitar stems from “The other favorites” on YouTube. His name is Joshua Lee Turner and I highly recommend you check out his channel at Josh Turner Guitar. Josh is the first guy playing on this video. An old favorite for people of the right age. This video was his Thank You for passing 10 million views.

Such a pretty Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads