• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baz72

Reaction score
Wearing another one of my eBay projects today - Sheltons.

These were a little challenging. There was some sort of damage to the toe boxes of each shoe.

20200301_094215.jpg

I ended up wet sanding with 600 grit sandpaper as a last resort to smooth down those ridges and blend the leather. It's never my first choice but if I have to do it, the toe box is one of the easiest places to hide blemishes by using darker dye to patina.

I stripped them down to bare leather with acetone (also not my first choice). To give them a darker but more complex shade, I used three coats of dye: oxblood, dark red, and then dark brown. From there it was just cream polish and waxes for a nice shine.
NewShoes.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone get the new survey? Lots of new and exciting cemented sneakers & boat shoe options to look forward to.
Nope! Have you played with the inputs to see what else is coming possibly?
Wearing another one of my eBay projects today - Sheltons.

These were a little challenging. There was some sort of damage to the toe boxes of each shoe.

View attachment 1421211

I ended up wet sanding with 600 grit sandpaper as a last resort to smooth down those ridges and blend the leather. It's never my first choice but if I have to do it, the toe box is one of the easiest places to hide blemishes by using darker dye to patina.

I stripped them down to bare leather with acetone (also not my first choice). To give them a darker but more complex shade, I used three coats of dye: oxblood, dark red, and then dark brown. From there it was just cream polish and waxes for a nice shine.
View attachment 1421217
They came out quite nice. They should have offered brown/black as an option!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you played with the inputs to see what else is coming possibly?
I will have you know sir, that playing with the inputs got me four children and no good shoe knowledge.

Baz72

Reaction score
Nope! Have you played with the inputs to see what else is coming possibly?

They came out quite nice. They should have offered brown/black as an option!
Thank you. Initially I did try to just go with oxblood but it didn't look the way I wanted. But brown/black definitely suits these shoes well!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tan Strandmoks arrived one day early. Just for fun, I compared them to the bourbon shell Strands. Might be too redundant? They do fit better than the pair I tried previously, but they are still tighter than the olive pair. View attachment 1421290
Wow. That dark brown welt really pops in that pic! I think that alone makes them so much different visually than the Strands.

ptfly

Reaction score
Ladyboys today. View attachment 1420929 View attachment 1420930

Followers of Spier & Mackay know about this rust fabric. Unfortunately, they don’t have my size, 46L, in most sports coats. Brooks Brothers, however, does, and when this fabric came back in stock in my size I jumped on it for a song. It’s mildly over the top, and I wish I could have gotten the S&M version that features the neo cut to take it even further. I’m happy to settle for the BB version.

View attachment 1420931
Missed my size too but BB has it. Reviews say runs extra slim. Did you find that? I am more worried sleeve might need to be let out a bit.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. That dark brown welt really pops in that pic! I think that alone makes them so much different visually than the Strands.

Just imagine if I could switch the welts and stitching between these two. I never thought of this before, but I actually think the dark brown (black?) welt might look better on olive. I wish I could have this same welt/stitch combo on the tan pair.

IMG_0742.JPG

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will have you know sir, that playing with the inputs got me four children and no good shoe knowledge.

People would ask me how I came to have 6 children. I told them I tossed in my sleep. Mrs. smfdoc hated that answer.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People would ask me how I came to have 6 children. I told them I tossed in my sleep. Mrs. smfdoc hated that answer.
Once read a story about a lady whose husband was in the Navy. She swore it was chocolate cake that caused babies, as every time he came home from at sea, she would make him a chocolate cake and then she would get pregnant.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Once read a story about a lady whose husband was in the Navy. She swore it was chocolate cake that caused babies, as every time he came home from at sea, she would make him a chocolate cake and then she would get pregnant.

I was also asked many times how I came to have twins in that run of 6 sons. I would tell them "My wife agrees to sex so infrequently, that when she says yes, I get so excited I stutter." Mrs smfdoc really hated that answer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads