• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always love seeing this in my inbox

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 11.28.08 PM.png

My Chili Shell Strands that I ordered from the Anniversary Sale are on the way! Haven't seen many other posters sharing their pairs, so I'll be sure to take some pics when they arrive!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Odd trousers and semi casual shell boots. Why not.
EC5E816B-49B1-4921-A8BB-F2D045633192.jpeg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. There were a lot of nice and unique shoes shared in the last 24 hours. I hope that can continue.

I had not planned to wear these River Oaks today. But after I put these chinos on, I saw them and thought they’d make a nice combo.

But what do I know — I’m colorblind.

C412457A-0DD1-420B-8B8F-9D282587B722.jpeg

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some conversation last week about these, sorry it’s taken me a few days to get mine out. I bought these on the Bay from the original owner. He got them as seconds from an outlet in... Florida? I think? Said he didn’t wear them much. Duh. Who does? ? They’re 12D, which isn’t perfect for me... but what are the odds I’ll find an 11.5EEE?
View attachment 1420152 View attachment 1420153 View attachment 1420154

The great thing about the design of yours - as others have pointed out - is the prominent location of all three colors.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And here is how odd sizes get screwed out of orders.
1D93A89E-256F-42AA-824F-F07E019413C2.jpeg

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning Lady (@ae_ashley) and Gentlemen! Would anyone know where to acquire laces for the Cronmok? I measured mine and they are 39". Looking for a fresh pair, and maybe different colours. Thank you for any information!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good morning Lady (@ae_ashley) and Gentlemen! Would anyone know where to acquire laces for the Cronmok? I measured mine and they are 39". Looking for a fresh pair, and maybe different colours. Thank you for any information!
Profila says these are basically identical to AE's standard laces:
I have a bunch from here, and they're good (though the aglets are a bit smaller than the stock AE ones)

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A sad day...I hope they can successfully restructure, or find the right buyer (ahem CAL).

I think there are parallels between AE and BB. Originally geared for "traditional look" buyers, both expanded into a great many retail outlets, both moved some production overseas, both started chasing fashion trends to broaden their appeal; both started an endless cycle of heavy discounting. I won't bring up QC.

PE groups - as a rule - want to come in, make numbers look better, then flip. Frequently that comes from messing with inventory and product lines chasing supposed efficiencies and decreasing payroll, which eventually (sometimes quickly) leads to decreased customer service and then reduced customer satisfaction. They really aren't wired to make a company smaller, with fewer retail channels, and improved quality control. It simply isn't what they usually do. And if some buyer wanted to do just that, they would have to pay more than necessary for their new scheme to work.

In other words, if I wanted to buy BB or AE to "make it smaller but better" I'd still be bidding against the next PE group wanting to buy it to make it larger and worse. And the price would be significant. The brand still has value to be exploited until every ounce of goodwill is wrung out of it, until it is finally 100% overseas (or its suppliers are) and of much poorer quality and/or finally goes out of business all together. Like Florshiem or Hanover. So if I wanted to buy BB and turn it into J Press (or the old BB) I'd have to outbid all the PE groups who want to turn it into H&M and flip it. I can't pay that price simply so I can close a bunch of stores, lose a lot of sales. Not unless I was a zillionaire on some sort of quest for personal amusement. Like some collector paying a ton for some vintage car he has no intention of ever selling.

So, I see no future for BB to go back to what it did well. It is too big. This is what happens when heritage brands decide they want to be in lots of malls (I'm looking at you Neiman-Marcus). They change into something else and then are no longer the company that made them popular in the first place.

Also, I don't see bankruptcy as a long term solution. Companies that reorganize and then succeed usually have big debt problems but otherwise a decent working model. They make some widget that people still want to buy but the company has saddled itself with debt. Restructure that and they can still go out and make and sell their widgets. BB's problem is a flawed concept. They moved into coast to coast brick and mortar stores and ran into fast fashion and there's no going back. Bankruptcy won't fix that.

Which is a shame. I really like Brooks Brothers. Or at least, I like the idea of how Brooks Brothers used to be.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Profila says these are basically identical to AE's standard laces:
I have a bunch from here, and they're good (though the aglets are a bit smaller than the stock AE ones)
Thank you! It seems trying to find something in the states will be difficult.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think there are parallels between AE and BB. Originally geared for "traditional look" buyers, both expanded into a great many retail outlets, both moved some production overseas, both started chasing fashion trends to broaden their appeal; both started an endless cycle of heavy discounting. I won't bring up QC.

PE groups - as a rule - want to come in, make numbers look better, then flip. Frequently that comes from messing with inventory and product lines chasing supposed efficiencies and decreasing payroll, which eventually (sometimes quickly) leads to decreased customer service and then reduced customer satisfaction. They really aren't wired to make a company smaller, with fewer retail channels, and improved quality control. It simply isn't what they usually do. And if some buyer wanted to do just that, they would have to pay more than necessary for their new scheme to work.

In other words, if I wanted to buy BB or AE to "make it smaller but better" I'd still be bidding against the next PE group wanting to buy it to make it larger and worse. And the price would be significant. The brand still has value to be exploited until every ounce of goodwill is wrung out of it, until it is finally 100% overseas (or its suppliers are) and of much poorer quality and/or finally goes out of business all together. Like Florshiem or Hanover. So if I wanted to buy BB and turn it into J Press (or the old BB) I'd have to outbid all the PE groups who want to turn it into H&M and flip it. I can't pay that price simply so I can close a bunch of stores, lose a lot of sales. Not unless I was a zillionaire on some sort of quest for personal amusement. Like some collector paying a ton for some vintage car he has no intention of ever selling.

So, I see no future for BB to go back to what it did well. It is too big. This is what happens when heritage brands decide they want to be in lots of malls (I'm looking at you Neiman-Marcus). They change into something else and then are no longer the company that made them popular in the first place.

Also, I don't see bankruptcy as a long term solution. Companies that reorganize and then succeed usually have big debt problems but otherwise a decent working model. They make some widget that people still want to buy but the company has saddled itself with debt. Restructure that and they can still go out and make and sell their widgets. BB's problem is a flawed concept. They moved into coast to coast brick and mortar stores and ran into fast fashion and there's no going back. Bankruptcy won't fix that.

Which is a shame. I really like Brooks Brothers. Or at least, I like the idea of how Brooks Brothers used to be.
Agreed. It's unfortunate, but unless there's some privateer with more money than sense they're as good as dead. I hate PE firms for this reason - buy a brand (and push the debt back into the company), suck the coffers dry, then sell off to die in someone else's hands. Money money money. I hate it, but unfortunately those are the kinds of people with the money to buy a company...
Kept same size—10eee. Just reflecting on the shape.
Gotcha. Some people do actually go up half a length due to that taper. It definitely interferes with my pinkie toe. I would go up half a length, down a width on the 1943 if EE was an option!

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. It's unfortunate, but unless there's some privateer with more money than sense they're as good as dead. I hate PE firms for this reason - buy a brand (and push the debt back into the company), suck the coffers dry, then sell off to die in someone else's hands. Money money money. I hate it, but unfortunately those are the kinds of people with the money to buy a company...

Gotcha. Some people do actually go up half a length due to that taper. It definitely interferes with my pinkie toe. I would go up half a length, down a width on the 1943 if EE was an option!
Ok—so here’s my secret. I already go up in the 65! I’m a weirdo, and I hate shoes touching my pinky toes (like at all). So I size up a little so the toe sits in the wide part of the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads