• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing walnut Lombards today.

IMG_4617.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica CA. The beaches and the pier as well as bars and indoor dining were closed by the governor for three weeks on Wednesday because of an increase in COVID-19 cases in the same age bracket as the protestors, rioters, and looters.

IMG_4621.jpg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, an Empire Biscuit and me at Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica CA. The original plan was to have lunch at Ye Olde King's Head today and see the new dining room interior that replaced the old dining room interior that was destroyed by the rioters and looters. That plan is now postponed for at least three weeks.

IMG_4626.jpeg

For fans of pictures of places I didn't park in shoe threads.

IMG_4620.jpeg

Rithrin

Reaction score
What does this mean in the online write up for this shoe:
Refined profile with discreet traction
My guess would be the Dainite rubber dimples on the sole covered by what looks like leather? Still seems like an odd statement on their feature list.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What does this mean in the online write up for this shoe:
Refined profile with discreet traction
Leather from the side and rubber nubs on the bottom. The mullet of soles.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Has anyone ever waxed a pair of non-waxed suede shoes or boots before? How did it turn out?

Can you take the wax off over time or does it permanently alter the footwear?

I have the Surrey chelsea boots in brown which is really more of a subdued grey which doesn't create enough contrast in almost any pair of pants except jeans (according to my taste anyway).

Also I kind of want to rough them up/increase the durability so I can wear them harder.

There's a guy that did it to a pair of beautiful Carminas. They were fantastic before and I wouldn't have had the guts to do it but can't argue with the results either. Discussion and photos here:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does it say about me, other than the fact that I'm an elder and I came late to the AE purchasing party, that of the five styles listed above I own three (MacNeil, Badlands and Leeds 2.0) and they are my favourites among the paltry (by the standards of this thread, at least) ten AE pairs I own? They're the shoes that feel best on my feet (probably just luck, considering I've never been fitted by an AE professional -- being Canadian and all, and an infrequent cross-border traveler, I have never had the reassuring pleasure). But the demise of the MacNeil has cut to the quick! I'm hoping that by some miracle they may be resurrected, and offered along with a two-brown-tone saddle shoe. Then I can pass, happy!

I think it says you have good taste. AE has a long history of deleting great styles. There's no way to avoid it because they only have so much room for a limited amount of styles. It could be that general trends are showing less people buying the Badlands, MacNeil, etc. Then again, I see all those underwhelming shoe designs they still create for Nordstrom Rack, and I'm scratching my head on who actually loves some of those designs.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it says you have good taste. AE has a long history of deleting great styles. There's no way to avoid it because they only have so much room for a limited amount of styles. It could be that general trends are showing less people buying the Badlands, MacNeil, etc. Then again, I see all those underwhelming shoe designs they still create for Nordstrom Rack, and I'm scratching my head on who actually loves some of those designs.
When you're stepping up from JC Penney...

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you're stepping up from JC Penney...
You guys know that none of the Rack shoes are original designs. Mostly AE just pulls an older discontinued upper style, change the last and use materials to hit the cost that Nordy wants. The biggest modification might be to use a current medallion to cut costs. Basically they are all retreads.

Last edited:

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes that's my little one... she's only 2 so not TOO likely to remember the shambles that is my closet currently - for better or worse.

At least we seem to be past the stage of curiosity related shoe damage, like gee wonder what would happen if I pour this sippy cup of milk into this shoe shaped container (yes, this actually happened. my wife, knowing this might be a catastrophe but not knowing what's what called me at work to explain what had happened and ask for direction for what to do. thank goodness it was some old sh-t pair of boat shoes that I haven't worn in years and years).

Lol. Good story. Seems you too have shoe stories to recall...albeit some more fond than others. ? You know, I could be wrong but just anecdotally, I think shoes could be the article most recalled as a childhood memory associated with a parent. Or at least high up on the list!

Last edited:

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you ready?
8BEDC685-0A23-433B-8F38-A2F1C926D58C.jpeg
I certainly am. :)

Too matchy, matchy? I don’t give a sh!t. My mask won‘t match, so there’s that.

Let’s see those R, W, and B MacNeil’s, Neumok’s, 1776’s, socks, shorts, shirts, suits, bandanas, whatever. Wear it proud.

Thank you to all who serve and have served this country in whatever capacity. No matter if you were volunteered (or voluntold), elected, or just applied for that local, state, or federal job. And a big thanks to all of our healthcare, frontline, and “essential” workers out there. Appreciate you hangin’ it out there.

Happy Independence Day, gents (and @ae_ashley)!

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's lots of people continually mentioning declining quality issues and things like that, but for the most part, yeah, maybe it's not what it used to be 50 years ago, but things are still pretty good overall I feel like.

Its things like these discontinuations that kind of get to me more especially when I cant rationalize their decision process.

I suppose the wilbert must sell more than the Badlands but is it really by that much? They discontinued the black hills which I thought was better than any of these first. Then they introduced the cyrus which I thought was a piece of crap. Really dont want to be left with the wanderer as the only option in this category - this doesn't represent AE.

MacNeil I totally don't understand. You have to have this in the lineup, this makes zero sense. You have 400 different sneakers, there has to be a little room for one more style.

Leeds 2.0 I get. I had a Leeds 2.0 and returned it. I liked it a lot but I bet most people probably would think it was too tight with the poron padding (I actually found the 2.0 to fit better than the 1.0). As long as the 1.0 sticks around I think this is ok.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys know that none of the Rack shoes are original designs. Mostly AE just pulls an older discounted upper style, change the last and use materials to hit the cost that Nordy wants. The biggest modification might be to use a current medallion to cut costs. Basically they are all retreads.

This is completely true. For a while you would see all these oddball 1943 last makeups with featherwelt - Yorktown lookalikes and things.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably barely worth mentioning as the only people that will care are me and shoenut, but the Stowe suddenly showed up on clearance.

Going completely by memory here, I remember this being stiff, rigid corrected grain and included poron. Like a really tough Nashua. Size up in length or width on this one. Or save some money and go for a Schrier, they'll both crush your instep just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads