• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I go totally sockless with the sea islands....of course, they are my beach/pool shoes so socks, even no show, would be rather silly. But for other loafers, no show socks are the bomb.
I will walk around the house a bit in my velvet slippers barefoot, but being a quilted lining I try to avoid it

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You must be in a different part of Illinois than I am, can't eat inside any establishment here, only outside tables allowed and local officials are enforcing that "ruling"
Let’s just say I live in the Chicago metropolitan statistical area. Since almost all the police were busy blocking the parking lots for Target and other stores, we were not bothered at all. The waitress just saw a lady get beat up by rioters and she was not going outside.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The great thing about having my visual acuity for color means this is an awesome match. Not sure about the rest of you.
285F1738-9D15-4FC1-B098-EACC2591D11B.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you go true sockless or no show socks? I, amazingly, don't do true sockless anymore... even with my Maritimes.

True sockless! The suede Patriots and MD Chukka have been true sockless. Interesting, don't like the sweaty feet?

I've tried the Acheson sockless, but they weren't the most comfortable. I think I'd need to get no shows (have none).

Also, I have tried my UnionMadexAlden suede longwings in true sockless form and they rubbed my ankles a bit. That was back when I had crepe soles... Haven't tried them now, since they were resoled.

No offense intended, apologies if that came off harsh

I think I just wanted to say “COVID ankles”

hahah, no not offended :fonz:

COVID ankles are much better than Cankles!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
True sockless! The suede Patriots and MD Chukka have been true sockless. Interesting, don't like the sweaty feet?

I've tried the Acheson sockless, but they weren't the most comfortable. I think I'd need to get no shows (have none).

Also, I have tried my UnionMadexAlden suede longwings in true sockless form and they rubbed my ankles a bit. That was back when I had crepe soles... Haven't tried them now, since they were resoled.

hahah, no not offended :fonz:

COVID ankles are much better than Cankles!
Just avoiding unnecessary salt absorption by the liners. I figure the socks stop a lot from getting to the leathers. Many times when I take off my socks there's a poof of salt.
(I run in the Injini toe socks because otherwise salt builds up between my toes on long runs and is uncomfortable).

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a size 13B.
Well, technically I was measured at a little longer than 13 with the left foot, and closer to 12-1/2 with the right. I’ve struggled with getting a good fit on the shorter lasts (511, 97...) due to this.
Last year, I saw a new pair of River Oaks. These are built on the 222 last — notoriously known for the shorter/narrower toe box. These River Oaks were a size 14B, so I took a gamble and they worked pretty well. Then a saw a pair of shell Daltons in a 14AA. That would be the same width as a 13B, so I gambled again. They worked pretty well, but shell is lasted a little looser. I thought that a 14A might be better with calf, but anything narrower than a B is hard to get from AE
Last week I saw a pair of hardly worn Bayfields in a 14B. I decided to try them for fit.

Not too bad....
E5CA6400-BEFA-45A2-9B60-E656212E8ED0.jpeg

I think that I will be buying 14s in the 511 from here on out.

DawgPound

Reaction score
I am a size 13B.
Well, technically I was measured at a little longer than 13 with the left foot, and closer to 12-1/2 with the right. I’ve struggled with getting a good fit on the shorter lasts (511, 97...) due to this.
Last year, I saw a new pair of River Oaks. These are built on the 222 last — notoriously known for the shorter/narrower toe box. These River Oaks were a size 14B, so I took a gamble and they worked pretty well. Then a saw a pair of shell Daltons in a 14AA. That would be the same width as a 13B, so I gambled again. They worked pretty well, but shell is lasted a little looser. I thought that a 14A might be better with calf, but anything narrower than a B is hard to get from AE
Last week I saw a pair of hardly worn Bayfields in a 14B. I decided to try them for fit.

Not too bad....
View attachment 1399302

I think that I will be buying 14s in the 511 from here on out.
Good for you! It took me a couple of purchases before I settled on a size (up) for the 511. I was told by some SA to just go with the same size as my 65’s and they really aren’t that different. My feet disagree. I’ll be offloading at least a pair of shell Leeds and probably a calf Dalton because of it.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good for you! It took me a couple of purchases before I settled on a size (up) for the 511. I was told by some SA to just go with the same size as my 65’s and they really aren’t that different. My feet disagree. I’ll be offloading at least a pair of shell Leeds and probably a calf Dalton because of it.
I’ll be offloading several pairs as well, including a pair of shell Leeds and a pair of calf Daltons just like you!
I’ve also got a pair of chocolate suede Dundees that were maybe worn once. I really wish those would have worked.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still imagining how the typical SF poster would loot is kind of a fun exercise

Well, for starters, I would imagine a SF looter would be the best dressed of those I have seen on TV.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just avoiding unnecessary salt absorption by the liners. I figure the socks stop a lot from getting to the leathers. Many times when I take off my socks there's a poof of salt.
(I run in the Injini toe socks because otherwise salt builds up between my toes on long runs and is uncomfortable).

Very interesting. With a closet as big as many of us have, I figure by the time I blow through a shoe, it will be time to replace :)

I need no shows for the various other shoes, however!

WFH - might as well shell

View attachment 1399363

Gorgeous. I love that shade of red

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday gents.

Doctor visit = Palm Beach (complete with no show socks).
0643A4DE-5A2E-49A5-9619-2B1A20C8F091.jpeg
My biggest gripe is getting the socks to stay on my heel. Guess I need some of that spray adhesive the swimsuit models use to keep their boobs in their bikini tops. :D

Thanks to @cardsfan89 I now have a garnet shell wallet to go with the garnet Park Aves.
777EA721-1F9E-4766-8F3C-D57C8B19E7B3.jpeg

Ashland Leather makes some really nice wallets.
A9BB67E0-D0C2-46E8-966D-D80B01E335B1.jpeg
All three are Johnny the Fox.
Garnet shell>natural shell>brown calf

ptfly

Reaction score
Haven't posted in awhile but here is a new one for me. Thanks as always to Ashley for help me find them.
Have a navy trifecta now. Just parks missing.
It just hit me today that I am an idiot for not having a shell cornwallis from the TSs. Next time.
Navy Cornwallis first wear.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads