• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dundee with natural light.
323D7BAA-1373-4635-A777-91E7BDADEDC9.jpeg

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear god I need to stop with this Ebay nonsense. I'm trying to justify my 7th shoe purchase within the last month or so but these Alden's look really good :confused2:

Just trying to use what's in your signature as a guide....I have the Maxfield in a 7D - I'm damn close to the front, so obviously the length is an issue. The vamp is kind of tough for me too. I tried on the LHS in a 7D, lined. Compared to the Maxfield, I wouldn't say they felt longer, but definitely a lot more full fitting, but at the same time, the vamp was notably worse. I would loved to have tried a 6.5 in unlined CXL but that wasn't available to me. If that gives you any more info.

As a sidebar....looking at the location on that ebay listing....huh. I could probably drive there in under 15 minutes....lol.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rithrin

Reaction score
This was a pair where I had already stripped the original walnut burnish off with Renomat. This time, I started by cleaning off all the wax and polish with a hair dryer and cloth. Then I just took saddle soap to it and dried it. I conditioned with Renovatuer. Then I did a coat of Saphir congac cream polish followed by a couple coats of Saphir mohagony cream polish. After buffing, I used pate deluxe first in dark brown for a while. To even it out and blend, I used neutral pate deluxe. Then I took a little black pate deluxe to the tips and another coat of neutral to blend. I finished with dark brown again.

Nice guide. Planning on trying to lighten up a pair of walnut Cornwallis to be more cognac, really good to know just using cream polish can get the job done after color has been removed. Was worried that dyes might be needed.

Any deets on the suit fabric? It looks great! And the coordination is nice here.

Any recommendations on what brand and color polish I should use for a pair of oxblood 5 th avenues?

Skolyx has a great resource for this here:

There is a table with common brand colors and how to their corresponding Saphir color at the end. Their AEs guide is this:

Allen Edmonds Cigarr – Havana
Allen Edmonds Coffee – Havana
Allen Edmonds Dark Chili – Mahogany
Allen Edmonds Oxblood – Mahogany
Allen Edmonds Walnut – Light brown

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Madison Parks today. These used to be just meh. I wish AE would do an occasional spectator.
D76A8A4E-2D18-4356-9E2F-18570B5CA63A.jpeg

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's finally Friday! Havent been posting as much working from home, but been lurking. Round 2 of shoes today -- the Rush Street and a pour of something strong on the deck.
View attachment 1397543
This is one of my favorites - Stagg Jr. It has a major kick (at 128 proof) and loads of flavor. Needed something strong after this week!
View attachment 1397546

I've got a jack rose exclusive pick of Medley sitting on the shelf at 127.41....methinks today's the day.

Also you guys know what'll *REALLY* make you pucker before bed? Seeing a moth fly into your closet, finding it, smacking it in mid-flight....and not seeing where it landed.

ALL the suits/coats/trousers were evacuated, and the floor strewn with mothballs, door shut. It remains thusly until I'm mentally satisfied that bastard is--for fans of Dom DeLouise--D-E-D DED.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lcdx22

Reaction score
So I started using my 2 year ols cxl HM for yard work this year. This is their 3rd weekend. They got muddy and wet. The heel is not holding up well. They may have been subjected to more water than typical wear but for only 3 times I expected the glue to hold up better.

So great boot as a shoe but not as a boot in wet weather. I wonder if their weatherproof hold up any better but I doubt it as the heel/sole attachment is the same.

not complaining just an observation that it would suck to buy a weatherproof boot where the heel separates if you use it in bad weather lol

IMG_20200530_185048.jpg IMG_20200530_185055.jpg IMG_20200530_185119.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads