• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wasmisterfu compiled a nice summary of the Polo/Shelton models on the vintage thread. Short answer, your pair are made after 1999. Read the entire post here.

I'm curious now as to when AE started producing that type of white insole. It was definitely after AE stopped stamping the production dates on the lining, but I'm now not sure if it was before 2008 or after 2009. I just looked on some older posts and it appears the black insole started in 2008, and then ended some time in either 2009 or 2010. This would mean those shoes were made either before 2008 or after 2009. I suspect the latter, but I could be wrong. @wasmisterfu needs to get his butt back here and help us answer these questions.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Should I brush suede after each wear like calf?
I do, lightly. Dirt and water destroy so I try to give a few quick brushes with the horse hair. I don't think they need the heavy duty suede brush every time. Shoe trees and bag 'em.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all saphir products:

medium brown cream
Dark brown cream
Mahogany cream
Dark brown pate deluxe
Saphir is pretty amazing. I'm cleaning and polishing my shoes with Saphir. Prior I had used another product. I'm struck by not only the improved look but the leather also feels so much healthier. I have been converted!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is my preference for the McTavish makeup.
FF506173-1A50-4576-9D92-C60A2C539EB7.jpeg

My big question is, can AE sell heavy casual shoes with a double leather sole?

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The big excitement today was gassing up my car for the first time in two months (Premium was $1.79 a gallon at Kroger with my 700 accumulated fuel points from March/April). Wore my Tupelos for the trip:

20200525_tupelos.jpg

(It's been so long since I regularly drove that I forgot to get my traditional shot from the garage before I left, and when I got there, I couldn't remember how to open the second latch on my hood to check my oil for a minute...)

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I do and I have a pig bristle brush for the purpose. Stiffer than horse hair and it cleans up the suede and pulls up the nap nicely.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The big excitement today was gassing up my car for the first time in two months (Premium was $1.79 a gallon at Kroger with my 700 accumulated fuel points from March/April). Wore my Tupelos for the trip:

View attachment 1395080

(It's been so long since I regularly drove that I forgot to get my traditional shot from the garage before I left, and when I got there, I couldn't remember how to open the second latch on my hood to check my oil for a minute...)
Nice! Premium price is still $2.79 here before discounts even though regular is like $2.04

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do and I have a pig bristle brush for the purpose. Stiffer than horse hair and it cleans up the suede and pulls up the nap nicely.
And I use the crepe brush for suede. At the end of the day, one could buy a cheap finger nail cleaning brush and be like the professionals.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I use the crepe brush for suede. At the end of the day, one could buy a cheap finger nail cleaning brush and be like the professionals.
I like a crepe brush for nubuck and pig bristle for suede (I keep the cheap fingernail cleaning brush in reserve for cleaning actual fingernails, but I'm no pro...).

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there a way to do a shoe size poll for the thread? it seems like a disproportionate number of regular posters are outliers with very large feet.

some days it feels like 50% of posters are in the 14-15 range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads