• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a teen, I spent the summers at the local soaring airport, and I lived in shorts and "waffle stomper" boots with red laces. Works for me.
Do you fly gliders?

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I stupidly jumped the gun and purchased a pair of AE Strandmoks in Denim (blue) in the very early morning of April 7th (~3am). I paid $14.95 for expedited delivery for no particular good reason. Shoes arrived today. I’m happy with the shoes, but not happy that the price dropped $100 less than 24 hours after I made the purchase and before the shoes arrived. Does anyone know if AE is willing to do price adjustments in cases like this? I just messaged them through their website regarding the situation. A store credit/AE gift card would be fine. I had planned on buying at least another couple of pairs of shoes anyway during the Anniversary Sale.

their new policy is unreasonably short (can’t recall if its 7, 10 or 14 days or whatever but it is shorter than the return window) but you are eligible for a price adjustment. Just call them and ask

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m not trying to single you out or pick on you or anything. But as a physician seeing people wearing gloves are in town, it’s a pet peeve of mine.

This isn’t a graphite rock. Its a lipophilic virus that can be washed away with soap and water.

I’m not suggesting you are reusing your gloves after a trip and that that is the problem. What I am saying is that unless you are continuously donning and doffing gloves (like probably at least 5-10 pairs during a short outing to the gas station/grocery store) it is not at all sensical to do. Just like when wearing no gloves, when gloved up any time you touch two surfaces in a row (e.g. a shopping cart or gas pump or door handle, followed by your wallet, keys, left shoulder to scratch an itch, etc) you are potentially contaminating yourself no differently than if you were bare handed. And I can tell you from what I have witnessed, most people are not even close to as conscientious about it as you might attempt to be).

Please reconsider.

Edit: sorry for derailing more. Just trying to spread information during these strange times.
CDC corroborates your analysis on the glove thing. I HAVE been wearing gloves during outings, if I'm going to 2 stores, say grocery and dog food stores, take 2 pair of gloves. have a special paper bag in trunk for depositing the gloves post store visit, after scrubbing with disinfecting wipes also carried in trunk. Then wipe down car surfaces touched, followed by hands with wipe. Next store, new gloves repeat process. Of course wear a mask. Once home, paper bag in trash, followed by was hands with soap/water then unload the vehicle. Maybe I've been overdoing things, but only go out once a week to grocery store and at that rate, won't need to go to a gas station for another month. OH, wore AE socks and belt for last trip to store to keep it somewhat relevant.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m not trying to single you out or pick on you or anything. But as a physician seeing people wearing gloves are in town, it’s a pet peeve of mine.

This isn’t a graphite rock. Its a lipophilic virus that can be washed away with soap and water.

I’m not suggesting you are reusing your gloves after a trip and that that is the problem. What I am saying is that unless you are continuously donning and doffing gloves (like probably at least 5-10 pairs during a short outing to the gas station/grocery store) it is not at all sensical to do. Just like when wearing no gloves, when gloved up any time you touch two surfaces in a row (e.g. a shopping cart or gas pump or door handle, followed by your wallet, keys, left shoulder to scratch an itch, etc) you are potentially contaminating yourself no differently than if you were bare handed. And I can tell you from what I have witnessed, most people are not even close to as conscientious about it as you might attempt to be).

Please reconsider.

Edit: sorry for derailing more. Just trying to spread information during these strange times.

this is a pet peeve of mine every time I look behind the counter of a fast food place in normal times (which I try not to do).

workers at those places often seem to think the gloves are magic or imbued with disinfectant so they pick their noses or wipe their mouths while wearing the gloves as if the gloves were a magic fix for health code violations

its infuriating

Last edited:

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day out with the walnut Strand. Last day of the work week. I went with the dainite version due to my proficiency in destroying the toes of leather soles. I think it makes sense with Boston weather as well.

if I’m being honest some of the stitching on the sides looks like it was done without a care in the world, but that’s what I’ve come to expect with AE. More than happy with the product anyhow. The 65 last happens to suit my feet very very well.

BA57403C-843B-4AE4-8013-05E777959B72.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you fly gliders?

In my youth. At one time I held 13 state soaring records in various categories. Several of them may still be standing, but many since broken. I was not able to continue it into adulthood. Raising 6 sons can limit one's personal hobbies.
Update: I went to check and I still have one! It still stands after 45 years. Amazing.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought I would share some before and after pictures I found on line from a 2015 article. These Alden shell boots were taken to Moulded shoe for a refurbish. It's a nice illustration of how shell is amazingly resilient and worth the additional cost, IMHO.

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 8.52.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 8.53.01 AM.png

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is a pet peeve of mine every time I look behind the counter of a fast food place in normal times (which I try not to do).

workers at those places often seem to think the gloves are magic or imbued with disinfectant so they pick their noses or wipe their mouths while wearing the gloves as if the gloves were a panacea for health code violations

its infuriating
You are quite lucky that you can’t see what happens in nicer restaurant kitchens. If you only knew, you would think differently about most fast food places.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CDC corroborates your analysis on the glove thing. I HAVE been wearing gloves during outings, if I'm going to 2 stores, say grocery and dog food stores, take 2 pair of gloves. have a special paper bag in trunk for depositing the gloves post store visit, after scrubbing with disinfecting wipes also carried in trunk. Then wipe down car surfaces touched, followed by hands with wipe. Next store, new gloves repeat process. Of course wear a mask. Once home, paper bag in trash, followed by was hands with soap/water then unload the vehicle. Maybe I've been overdoing things, but only go out once a week to grocery store and at that rate, won't need to go to a gas station for another month. OH, wore AE socks and belt for last trip to store to keep it somewhat relevant.

I only do one pair of gloves when I go out, but take them off (without touching any external surface) before I get back in to the vehicle. This stops me from having to wipe down the truck. I also wear them when unloading, since I touched all of the items with gloves - will unload groceries on to the counter, wipe down all goods wipeable, discard gloves, wash hands, then put away goods. I also don't touch car door handles, wallet, keys, phone while wearing the gloves etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads