• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are correct, but as far as Alden "sale" forget about it.....

Hah, yeah never going to happen at a brand level like AE. Every once in a while you may catch a deal at a particular shop but even that's rare. Viberg is fairly protective of their pricing also, though not quite to the same degree.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
5E804BC1-5BFF-43D3-9578-A72F01F0F84F.jpeg

Had to run in to my gov’t office for a few hours. It was a ghost town.
I took it as an excuse to wear these Daltons.

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
Shell Pats for $499 seems a decent deal.

I’d order woven strands but no interest in doing so without my SA. I’ll wait till the “economy is finally open” sale which I’m sure they will do.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got 2 of the 3 pairs I ordered in today.

Despite being a brannock 9.5D the 9D definitely fits me better than the recommended 9E.

last picture is Park Ave vs Grant Stone’s oxford. While being more narrow the Park Ave seems to fit my toes as well or better. The 65 last seems to be wide in just the right spot for my pinky toes. Not sure which I like better.

90DAD8B4-3A50-4CE9-807F-7BA990D1D816.jpeg 7718694A-7AAA-4DE8-B389-617D818739E4.jpeg DE527955-68D3-4F27-BF1E-AE57A6D2A44A.jpeg

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got 2 of the 3 pairs I ordered in today.

Despite being a brannock 9.5D the 9D definitely fits me better than the recommended 9E.

last picture is Park Ave vs Grant Stone’s oxford. Despite being more narrow the Park Ave seems to fit my toes as well or better. The 65 last seems to be wide in just the right spot for my pinky toes. Not sure which I like better.

View attachment 1368611 View attachment 1368612 View attachment 1368613
Both are great shoes, wear the ones that feel the best!

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody else have experience comparing the authentic Dainite to AE's new mock version?

Bearing in mind I have nowhere near the level of expertise or greatness as yourself (hence I couldn't tell if you were making a sarcastic joke or not) I will post an honest answer.

I looked at a bunch of styles that used the extralite dimpled outsole (or whatever they call it) in the store. Did not try anything on because I would need a 7D and that would be like finding a white elephant in my backyard. At any rate, to me it appeared as though they they replaced the standard danite with something like the foam outsoles used on Toms but with little circle indents to make it look like Danite. They felt feather lightweight like they would offer little to no support and would be worn down in a month if worn more than once in a blue moon.

Good enough?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually pick a driver, but that may be because I don't own any boat shoes. If I had any of AE's sneakers, I'd probably wear those on occasion, too.

Given my experience with their boat shoes, drivers and sneakers....my bet is that you probably wouldn't.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do folks here wear and recommend for AE casual footwear for shorts (I’m in my mid 40’s)? Like one of the drivers or boat shoes? My collection is good for office wear and with chinos and denim. I have Palm Beach that I occasionally will wear. Need something I can wear with shorts and sport shirt or something like that. No socks or no-show socks. Thanks!

The Nashua or the Cody. Release your inner kiltie.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
....and shockingly underwhelming. :\

Is it really shocking to you? To me it's more like shockingly naïve. It's crystal clear they put this offering together a long time ago without taking any of the current situation into account. We'll see what happens - if things turn around quickly and we pull out of this mess economically they should be fine but who knows.

The sale is (not unexpectedly) underwhelming - as it has been before. The discounts are quite small, they went for quantity of styles over percentage. With how things are going, my guess is you'll have the following outcomes -

The die-hard AE guys will go for the shell. But even then, without an SA, with long build times, when stuff comes in messed up and having to deal with the CaC for exchanges...my guess is even some of them will get turned off.

The "middle of the road" AE guys will probably go for newer stuff like the Strandmoks or Neumoks but they may be disappointed with either the DR-build for the Neumok or the lightweight "danite". The other styles (the good stuff) like the Strand, St. John, HMs - the discounts aren't too good.

The "Cole Haan" guys looking to move up will just pass. Without being able to try stuff or walk into the stores they won't be willing to pay the price. Or if they do, they'll order a million sizes, return all but one and get AE to eat the shipping, then return the last one because they won't like the quality they get.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it really shocking to you? To me it's more like shockingly naïve. It's crystal clear they put this offering together a long time ago without taking any of the current situation into account. We'll see what happens - if things turn around quickly and we pull out of this mess economically they should be fine but who knows.

The sale is (not unexpectedly) underwhelming - as it has been before. The discounts are quite small, they went for quantity of styles over percentage. With how things are going, my guess is you'll have the following outcomes -

The die-hard AE guys will go for the shell. But even then, without an SA, with long build times, when stuff comes in messed up and having to deal with the CaC for exchanges...my guess is even some of them will get turned off.

The "middle of the road" AE guys will probably go for newer stuff like the Strandmoks or Neumoks but they may be disappointed with either the DR-build for the Neumok or the lightweight "danite". The other styles (the good stuff) like the Strand, St. John, HMs - the discounts aren't too good.

The "Cole Haan" guys looking to move up will just pass. Without being able to try stuff or walk into the stores they won't be willing to pay the price. Or if they do, they'll order a million sizes, return all but one and get AE to eat the shipping, then return the last one because they won't like the quality they get.
I think this is pretty accurate.
It might have been better to postpone the sale so that the brick & mortar stores were open.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah no way am I personally waiting 9+ weeks for a shell build given their questionable quality as of late. If I had a high confidence in delivered quality I may feel differently.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are great shoes, wear the ones that feel the best!

Even though I don't have the GS captoe, I somehow "know" that the Park weighs as much as a paperback book while the GS probably weighs as much as a 43" tube tv.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Bearing in mind I have nowhere near the level of expertise or greatness as yourself (hence I couldn't tell if you were making a sarcastic joke or not) I will post an honest answer.

I looked at a bunch of styles that used the extralite dimpled outsole (or whatever they call it) in the store. Did not try anything on because I would need a 7D and that would be like finding a white elephant in my backyard. At any rate, to me it appeared as though they they replaced the standard danite with something like the foam outsoles used on Toms but with little circle indents to make it look like Danite. They felt feather lightweight like they would offer little to no support and would be worn down in a month if worn more than once in a blue moon.

Good enough?

LOL & yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics