• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ferret sighting! Wearing the latest in CDC-compliant masks...
EUvzbz1UcAUfcjS.jpeg

Last edited:

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny how fast people forget about the 6 foot rule...
Shop Rite has prime rib on sale for $4.99 per lbs this week. Down from $9.99. When you get to the cooler people were nudging each other out of the way to get their mitts on the best hunk they could find! Then back to the 6 foot rule at the register. I found it hilarious!!!!!
People will be people, no matter what. The Prime rib at 5 bucks a lb is a great deal BTW.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gloves- check
Hazmat suit- check
Horsehead mask - check
Seems like a pretty normal shopping trip to me....I notice that "Santa Claus" has neither gloves or mask and appears to be over the age of 60...must like to live dangerously. And obviously isn't familiar with a horse head in a grocery store.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gloves- check
Hazmat suit- check
Horsehead mask - check
Seems like a pretty normal shopping trip to me....I notice that "Santa Claus" has neither gloves or mask and appears to be over the age of 60...must like to live dangerously. And obviously isn't familiar with a horse head in a grocery store.
Yes, but what SHOES was he wearing?!?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gloves- check
Hazmat suit- check
Horsehead mask - check
Ah the last reindeer: Covid

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't really paid much attention to this thread in a bit. No wearing of AE in at least 2 weeks. Building/assembling a garage gym has kept me busy. Something I'd wanted to do in the past but didn't have a good enough reason to actually get it started. Should be fun to get a bunch of cheap equipment in about a year when everyone that bought out the stores puts their stuff up for sale.

I'm still amazed at how many people don't understand the 6ft rule. I went to the supermarket and had at least two people just about run into me before they heard me saying something. My mistake, I'll use instacart going forward. Also anyone observe people going in and touching every damn thing in the bakery? Maddening.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the useful input! What might you recommend at a lower price point for a driver or loafer available in EEE width?

I wish I had a nice, clear cut answer I could give you but unfortunately I can't. Bearing in mind I'm heavily biased against these drivers (I've wasted a ton of money on this stuff in my time, used to be a huge fan of these), I'll try my best to be fair.

1. First a question - whenever I hear someone refer to a EEE width on a 65-lasted balmoral, I have to ask is it because of instep/v-gap or you really need that width? Most of the drivers (with the exception of the Boulders - 145) run short, so depending upon that, you might need a 10 or potentially even a 10.5. And either a EEE or maybe the dreaded EE.

2. A lot of AE's drivers use the 555 last which absolutely SUCKS for instep. It's the only last where I almost consistently have to go from 7.5C (brannock) to 7.5D just to accommodate the vamp since I find it that tight. On top of that, most of the drivers include at least some degree of padding/cushioning, which further reduces the volume. The grain version aside (which was awful), I thought the suede versions of the Turner were surprisingly good. But like I alluded to, in a 7.5D it "just" fit me, and like profila (or likely shoenut also) can attest, if it barely fits me, it's probably going to be terrible for anyone else.

3. I have two of the Super Sports - 722 last. The original release should be avoided like the plague - it's literally as if they lasted the shoe without taking the gel into account. The re-release wears like an elongated 555 last. Like 1/4 size longer. The gel is much more supportive than a standard driver. I like them. I don't love them. They're decent. Very overpriced for what they are. And also still quite tight (although the vamp thing was fixed in the re-release, the original could literally cut off your circulation if you had a high instep).

4. The Boulders might work out easier for you since they use a shape closer to a welt, so some trial and error in sizing might yield a better result (meaning going up in length/width may not necessarily destroy the heel fit). You might be able to do a 9.5EEE in this.

Hope this helps at least a little :)

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently I can defend the nation from my couch. In Higgins Mills. While enjoying peach cider from Reids Orchard in Gettysburg and Ghost Adventures on the telly.

20200407_180338.jpg

So why do they make me do it from an office in a uniform without alcohol when there isnt a global pandemic? Horseshit of epic magnitudes i tell ya.

For those who've been messaging on the side, thank you. Doc hooked up lidocaine cream and gabapentin (so maybe the cider isnt wisest but i wont be operating any farm equipment this afternoon so it should be fine) which have heped immensely. Though i have to say its fun when i stop suddenly and my face scrunches up, and wifey has to take several guesses before she gets the correct source of pain :hide:

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ferret sighting! Wearing the latest in CDC-compliant masks...
View attachment 1367553

I may or may not have done the horse at Home Depot. While I couldnt see GREAT, what i could see were looks of disappointment from employees.

They can eat a bag of something or other. I brought joy to people. We all could use more of it right about now.

(That pic def not me tho, signs in the background peg it somewhere a bit more espanol-ish)

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish I had a nice, clear cut answer I could give you but unfortunately I can't. Bearing in mind I'm heavily biased against these drivers (I've wasted a ton of money on this stuff in my time, used to be a huge fan of these), I'll try my best to be fair.

1. First a question - whenever I hear someone refer to a EEE width on a 65-lasted balmoral, I have to ask is it because of instep/v-gap or you really need that width? Most of the drivers (with the exception of the Boulders - 145) run short, so depending upon that, you might need a 10 or potentially even a 10.5. And either a EEE or maybe the dreaded EE.

2. A lot of AE's drivers use the 555 last which absolutely SUCKS for instep. It's the only last where I almost consistently have to go from 7.5C (brannock) to 7.5D just to accommodate the vamp since I find it that tight. On top of that, most of the drivers include at least some degree of padding/cushioning, which further reduces the volume. The grain version aside (which was awful), I thought the suede versions of the Turner were surprisingly good. But like I alluded to, in a 7.5D it "just" fit me, and like profila (or likely shoenut also) can attest, if it barely fits me, it's probably going to be terrible for anyone else.

3. I have two of the Super Sports - 722 last. The original release should be avoided like the plague - it's literally as if they lasted the shoe without taking the gel into account. The re-release wears like an elongated 555 last. Like 1/4 size longer. The gel is much more supportive than a standard driver. I like them. I don't love them. They're decent. Very overpriced for what they are. And also still quite tight (although the vamp thing was fixed in the re-release, the original could literally cut off your circulation if you had a high instep).

4. The Boulders might work out easier for you since they use a shape closer to a welt, so some trial and error in sizing might yield a better result (meaning going up in length/width may not necessarily destroy the heel fit). You might be able to do a 9.5EEE in this. I have witnessed a person with a 9EEE full foot just destroy the shape of the Turner in 10EEE in just a few weeks.

Hope this helps at least a little :)
Correct, the 555 two widths wider than my 65 lasted shoes fits rather snug. A legitimate EEE would probably be out of luck.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct, the 555 two widths wider than my 65 lasted shoes fits rather snug. A legitimate EEE would probably be out of luck.

The fact that AETampa has posted his Ely more than a couple times drove me to at least say there was "hope," lol. I picked up a pair of those also in a 7.5D and jesus are they tight to the wire.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, it never even crossed my mind that they might be selling them rather than donating, but you're absolutely correct if so.

However, this article about furlough seemed to imply that they are donating masks to hospitals in Wisconsin, which is significantly more generous. Either way, hopefully the layoffs and furloughs have been reduced due to the mask making efforts.

In case anyone was wondering about the 64 Last vs the 78 Last, here are some comparison photos of my Navy Wooster St vs newly acquired Olive Mercer St:

On AE's website, the 64 and 78 are both described as being based on the 64, but "slightly roomier across the ball and forepart of the foot". The term "relaxed fit" is used in each case. The 64 is "slightly longer" while the 78 is "slighter (sic) elongated with a tapered toe".

It was not too surprising to find they were the same length, and they actually look quite similar in shape beyond the strap beginning a bit further fore and the accompanying larger opening. However, in terms of fit they feel immensely different.

On the Wooster I do feel a bit of pressure on the corners of my big and pinky toes, and to slide into these I absolutely require a horn - even then, it's a squeeze to get in there! On the Mercer, toes and ball of foot feel great, no pressure, but I literally walk out of the shoe. No horn needed, and the heel has a real gap with no grip. See below for example.

Comparing the profiles, only thing I can think of is that the slightly forward strap is making all the difference. On the Wooster, the strap is likely preventing my foot from sliding forward further into the shoe. And as the strap starts closer to the rear (aft??) of the shoe, the vamp tapers down to the toes more quickly, which may be more fitting to my foot. Additionally, I believe the Wooster has a more aggressive waist than the Mercer, which grips better.

For the first time, I'm thinking that sizing down may be in order! Got half size down in same width on the way to compare. Hopefully the reduction in width from sizing down doesn't kill the comfy toe box fit. This experience is further pushing me towards the 79, with its wider ball, low fit, and narrower heel.

The loafer fit journey continues. If any of you vets think I'm approaching this the wrong way, I'm open to any and all advice!

Dude, this post....just wow. This is definitely going to be my #1 spot for most useful and informative post of 2020 I'm pretty certain. I've tried the 64-lasted styles but not the Mercer, and I've always maintained that no matter what I or anyone else advises you, you never know if something is actually going to work until you try it for yourself. But based on this post, I can "know" without a doubt that the Mercer would NOT work for me in any available size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads