• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rithrin

Reaction score
has AE Ashley said that or are you just going off past practice? Because that hasn’t always been the case in the April sale. While 15% has been the usual discount some years it is applied to all shell models, some years to just one or two shell models and some years there is no discounted shell

Does AE normally honor discounts on previously purchased shoes if they go on sale? I just received a pair in the mail that's going to have 15% off if the catalogue going around is correct. Normally I would call up the SA, but alas...

I am with @Neo1 on this. No matter how good the sale is, I am sitting it out without SA's involved.
And if everyone took that approach, there might not ever be SA’s to buy from again.

Speaking of SAs, I can see both sides of this. People want to support their SAs. SAs need the stores to be open first. Company needs money to keep it's stores open. That being said, I don't think AE under Caleres is in any danger of shuttering their stores before the lockdowns lift. If they are, then while manufacturing these masks is a great gesture, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot financially. Since the sale ends 4/27 and areas with lockdowns are slated to reopen 5/4, I think giving the sale an extra week or two (or postponing it by the same) would be doing both their SAs and customers a great service.

Then again, here I am receiving some non-SA online purchases! So take that as you will.

Which brings me to the next photo in the Working Remotely series: Put on these 1776s while working. Took them out for a walk which lasted all of 30 seconds before a downpour came out of nowhere, however upon return spotted the two awaiting boxes of AEs on the porch. Below is the inspection taking place. One pair of Burnished Copper Strand Weaves which I've been waiting to find on Shoe Bank to no avail - the $75 coupon pushed me to buy one on the last day. Second pair is Olive Suede Mercer Streets, which are the only style produced on the 78 last to my knowledge and now discontinued. My size is no longer available, so it was good timing even if they don't work out in the end.

IMG_20200405_163416.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And if everyone took that approach, there might not ever be SA’s to buy from again.
If they wanted to they could have had SA's at stores taking calls without opening the stores. SA's would not get 40 hours but they could collect some cash while going on unemployment. Calares has over 500 employees, they don't have to pay anyone when they send them home. Use your vacation and go on unemployment.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m hoping that they’ve used these last couple of weeks to get the computer systems updated to allow SAs to sell shoes remotely.
The sale without SA's would be a bust. Just postpone the sale until you can open most of the stores.

nmh20

Reaction score
If they wanted to they could have had SA's at stores taking calls without opening the stores. SA's would not get 40 hours but they could collect some cash while going on unemployment. Calares has over 500 employees, they don't have to pay anyone when they send them home. Use your vacation and go on unemployment.
I’m all for supporting sales associates, but AE doesn’t do the anniversary sale to support its employees, so I can see why they wouldn’t wait to have the sale when the stores are open...which, by the way, could still be a while.

There is a reason I’ve seen Crockett & Jones, and Viberg on sale putting them within spitting distance of AE’s price point in the last week, and it isn’t because they feel sorry for us consumers. Business is about to get real tough for discretionary consumer products, and AE fits in that category

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's awkward (just like everything else right now) but I understand why AE had their sale. When the country is in recession, why not? It might not be ideal for the sales associates we all appreciate, but why would you not want possible sales? Not the most exciting sale, but then I've got 30 pair already so not much I'm really looking to fill holes with. I'm still eyeing those tan Strandmoks and suede blue Standmoks.

Last edited:

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am with @Neo1 on this. No matter how good the sale is, I am sitting it out without SA's involved.

I may sit out unless the new shell offerings are included, then all bets are off. Like nmh20 I’m hoping the catalog was produced before the new shell models were added to the lineup and that they will be included

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m all for supporting sales associates, but AE doesn’t do the anniversary sale to support its employees, so I can see why they wouldn’t wait to have the sale when the stores are open...which, by the way, could still be a while.

There is a reason I’ve seen Crockett & Jones, and Viberg on sale putting them within spitting distance of AE’s price point in the last week, and it isn’t because they feel sorry for us consumers. Business is about to get real tough for discretionary consumer products, and AE fits in that category
They can’t make my size at this point. So I will wait.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m hoping that they’ve used these last couple of weeks to get the computer systems updated to allow SAs to sell shoes remotely.

i don’t believe they have updated their computer system since 1983. I have it on good authority that the hamsters on the wheels all wear leggings

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice sale prices after I ordered 3 pairs. I've read about some struggles with price adjustments and AE lately. Maybe I'll just have to place a whole new order and return the previous one.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does AE normally honor discounts on previously purchased shoes if they go on sale? I just received a pair in the mail that's going to have 15% off if the catalogue going around is correct. Normally I would call up the SA, but alas...

Speaking of SAs, I can see both sides of this. People want to support their SAs. SAs need the stores to be open first. Company needs money to keep it's stores open. That being said, I don't think AE under Caleres is in any danger of shuttering their stores before the lockdowns lift. If they are, then while manufacturing these masks is a great gesture, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot financially. Since the sale ends 4/27 and areas with lockdowns are slated to reopen 5/4, I think giving the sale an extra week or two (or postponing it by the same) would be doing both their SAs and customers a great service.

Then again, here I am receiving some non-SA online purchases! So take that as you will.

Which brings me to the next photo in the Working Remotely series: Put on these 1776s while working. Took them out for a walk which lasted all of 30 seconds before a downpour came out of nowhere, however upon return spotted the two awaiting boxes of AEs on the porch. Below is the inspection taking place. One pair of Burnished Copper Strand Weaves which I've been waiting to find on Shoe Bank to no avail - the $75 coupon pushed me to buy one on the last day. Second pair is Olive Suede Mercer Streets, which are the only style produced on the 78 last to my knowledge and now discontinued. My size is no longer available, so it was good timing even if they don't work out in the end.

View attachment 1366701

Making the masks is what keeps the workers employed! It doesn’t say they are donating them, right? In many cases, the factories are not essential, and all workers would have to be laid off. If they instead make masks and sell them at cost, they can keep the workers employed and the factory open for your calls and online orders.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Making the masks is what keeps the workers employed! It doesn’t say they are donating them, right? In many cases, the factories are not essential, and all workers would have to be laid off. If they instead make masks and sell them at cost, they can keep the workers employed and the factory open for your calls and online orders.
It doesn’t say that everyone is making masks either.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Monday forum pals. I wore my shoe bag mask to the store today. People think my name is Allen Edmonds. Spoilered shoe Appreciation. Whiskey saddle NST.

IMG_8179 3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads