• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started to WFH this week.
Yesterday, I wore canvas chinos and a button-down shirt. My wife asked “you dressed up to work from home?”

So today I dressed it down a little. Denim and flannel. I also wore these
MacNeils for the first time. (I’ve had them in cold storage for a couple years.)
View attachment 1360798 View attachment 1360797

Stay healthy, everyone.

Those are SO good with that welt and edge color. I wish I liked the 97 last more....

Happy Wingtip Wednesday, fellow shoe enthusiasts!
Grant Stone Bourbon Suede LWBs:

View attachment 1360832

LOVE that shoe. It's coming up in my rotation... So classic and a great take on the great American classic, the Longwing.

Agreed. Super easy to identify vs calf.

When I first started this whole (shoe) rat race, it took a minute to tell. Now it's second nature and can't be unlearned! :fonz:

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Just got these back from Steve at Bedo’s Leatherworks - he did a wonderful job in puting on a Dainite sole and getting rid of the speed hooks for me:

F5FC0C63-04BD-42BF-8856-2F6A0AA77482.jpeg

CCBA9CFF-7953-42EA-8C73-884580E192D5.jpeg

8D60CAC4-03DA-4E98-A1A3-500E00D1EE3E.jpeg

I’m looking forward to breaking them in.

RJG

Reaction score
@lemmy127 here you go. I'm fairly new to the AE game - I should just cop to that right upfront. Any tips on how to spot cordovan in the future I'm all ears.

Attachments

• doublemonk.JPG
    doublemonk.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 26
  • mora4.JPG
    mora4.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 25
  • mora5.JPG
    mora5.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 28

lemmy127

Reaction score
@lemmy127 here you go. I'm fairly new to the AE game - I should just cop to that right upfront. Any tips on how to spot cordovan in the future I'm all ears.

Calf, without a doubt.

Edit: The biggest thing is that shell doesn't crease, it "rolls". So at flex points in the leather, you'll never see the fine (or not fine if it has loose grain) wrinkles. It will look like this instead. There's other, more subtle differences, like shell cordovan will pucker around eyelets over time, the rolls' "valleys" will usually get lighter rather than darker like calf's creases (unless you use polish, which IMO you shouldn't on shell), the color of the shell will look different from different angles, and the shoe overall won't have a wholly uniform color, especially as it ages. And it just has a natural shine/luster that unpolished calf will never have. It also looks less porous than calf.

Last edited:

lemmy127

Reaction score
Nope! They have E sizes for just about everything and some EEE sizes. Might be out of luck if you're a narrow size though.

Seemingly every shoemaker other than Allen Edmonds, Alden, and Rancourt: There aren't enough of you for us to care about you, so you narrow width people can just wear D width with some heel pads or thicker socks or something. Who cares that your feet will still ping pong around inside the shoe with those solutions?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Wingtip Wednesday, fellow shoe enthusiasts!
Grant Stone Bourbon Suede LWBs:

View attachment 1360832

Infiltration in progress [behind these buttons].

Decided it was a boot day in the office basement. View attachment 1360765
These look like shell AE x Wolverine? Stunning.

Not going to lie. I am very glad I skipped the AE suede show now. These guys were $247. CFS Repello suede in a beautiful light brown color.

Non-AE spoiler...

Thanks for sharing pictures. I am torn between a suede plain toe or moc-toe boot. It would help my decision if that one came with a rubber sole since I like the pattern better, but can't justify anything else on a leather sole (so much rain).

Here's my own contribution working from work today :satisfied:. By the way, Grant Stone is now running an unprecendented site-wide sale.
Hard to capture accurate color with natural CXL, they look darker and richer in person.
2f2897d3-744a-42a2-9feb-c6d60093ca11-jpeg.1361000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads