• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought it looked familiar, guess not.
Seattle
CFC2FAED-FD91-4E13-8141-B680F1107EF9.jpeg
350178E7-0082-4F38-9F71-F3ABC39DB08F.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I discovered tonight that Ebay now allows sellers to make offers to people who have just viewed their shoes. Made me grin when I saw this as I didn't know this was even possible.
Yes. I have gotten offers that way. It doesn't tell the seller who the people are though

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
The market has proven to be remarkably resilient during these last 4 years, despite foreign tensions, leaving trade agreements, increasing tariffs, general bullying, a lack of authentic diplomacy, etc.
However, the "Caronavirus" is something else. Panic seems to be spreading even quicker than the virus itself.
My friend in Hong Kong says it's very real and my cousin in Italy said that people are extremely scared.
It's definitely going to get worse before it gets any better.
Still, I have a friend that booked a trip to Japan just yesterday due to cheap airfare. He told me it was so cheap. I didn't inquire about exact pricing.
If the panic takes hold, it will grip the world and squeeze tight.
Who knows how bad it will be.
I parked my investments into cash equivalents yesterday.
Time to brace ourselves.

Luckily I have my Strands on with grippy V-Tread. (Sorry no pic - I know - boooooo).

I think this particular situation at this moment in time has the potential to reinforce a trend that had already begun due to the useless tariff regime that Trump began. The uncertainty created by that triggered a lot of companies to seek, at a minimum, more diversified supply chains. This opened surprisingly public discussion about delinking of supply chains between China / US back in 2019. At the time, I viewed that as a ridiculous Steve Bannon pipe dream and figured that things would whipsaw back to normal once Trump gave up his futile trade war with his huge "win" (ie. giving up). However, it seems to me that the coronavirus and the impact on Chinese manufacturing exposed a very significant risk to other countries that wasn't as well understand as it probably should have been. Time will tell but I think there is potential for a significant realignment of the way the worldwide economy/trade has functioned. The extent to which the virus itself continues to impact countries and for how long I am sure will be a big determining factor. This seems like a much different situation than the economic shocks that I've seen in the past since in this case it's much more directly impacting day to day life for the general public. Interesting times...

Rithrin

Reaction score
I think this particular situation at this moment in time has the potential to reinforce a trend that had already begun due to the useless tariff regime that Trump began. The uncertainty created by that triggered a lot of companies to seek, at a minimum, more diversified supply chains. This opened surprisingly public discussion about delinking of supply chains between China / US back in 2019. At the time, I viewed that as a ridiculous Steve Bannon pipe dream and figured that things would whipsaw back to normal once Trump gave up his futile trade war with his huge "win" (ie. giving up). However, it seems to me that the coronavirus and the impact on Chinese manufacturing exposed a very significant risk to other countries that wasn't as well understand as it probably should have been. Time will tell but I think there is potential for a significant realignment of the way the worldwide economy/trade has functioned. The extent to which the virus itself continues to impact countries and for how long I am sure will be a big determining factor. This seems like a much different situation than the economic shocks that I've seen in the past since in this case it's much more directly impacting day to day life for the general public. Interesting times...

An interesting conversation for a shoe thread! :p

Honestly I'm surprised our current bubble has lasted as long as it has. The Fed has been keeping interest rates lower and lower, and the powers that be want it to go even lower, but there's only so far it can go. I seem to recall Trump being rather upset that the Fed was contemplating either holding firm or increasing the rates. A massive correction of all the misallocated assets has been due, and something like the coronavirus may just be the thing to scare the market back into reality.

That being said, here's some positivity for fans of shoes in economics threads:

IMG_20200228_193422.jpg

Took some 1776s bought from resident @madhat for a spin today. Was really worried about the poron after my experience with the Tupelo, but finding these rather comfortable!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last off topic post:

I've been waiting for this to stock market crash to happen because the housing situation in California is unsustainable and sooner or later it will collapse anyway. It's obviously going to take more time to trigger a housing crash, but I think if they don't find a cure for the virus, there's a good chance we'll see prices go back to 2014 in LA (eventually). The biggest question I want to know the answer to is when the Fed cuts interest rates to zero or near zero, will that really help? I'll add that I noticed a few new listings on Zillow popped up today and yesterday for my area. I think those people know we've hit the peak.

@manowar With you being a pianist, I wanted to share the Brahms Intermezzos are my favorite composition ever written for solo piano. I listen to them often when my wife and I are going to sleep.

To keep this AE related, I was looking at my bourbon Strands tonight and realize I'm so sad to send these back. They look so good (aside from the wrong stitching) that I'm thinking crazy thoughts of keeping them. Someone talk some sense into me.

20200228_204557.jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Years ago, when I worked at a college in New York, I had a bunch of work-study kids who reported to me. One day, one of them was giving me an argument about something I'd told him to do, and I said, "Look: I've got clothes older than you. Just do what I said." And he did. Guess he couldn't find a way to argue about that... :)

I have also been known to say, “I have been doing this job since you were pooping yellow, so just do what I tell you to do.”

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last off topic post:

I've been waiting for this to stock market crash to happen because the housing situation in California is unsustainable and sooner or later it will collapse anyway. It's obviously going to take more time to trigger a housing crash, but I think if they don't find a cure for the virus, there's a good chance we'll see prices go back to 2014 in LA (eventually). The biggest question I want to know the answer to is when the Fed cuts interest rates to zero or near zero, will that really help? I'll add that I noticed a few new listings on Zillow popped up today and yesterday for my area. I think those people know we've hit the peak.

@manowar With you being a pianist, I wanted to share the Brahms Intermezzos are my favorite composition ever written for solo piano. I listen to them often when my wife and I are going to sleep.

To keep this AE related, I was looking at my bourbon Strands tonight and realize I'm so sad to send these back. They look so good (aside from the wrong stitching) that I'm thinking crazy thoughts of keeping them. Someone talk some sense into me.

View attachment 1346215
Before everyone gets all crazy about COVID-19, keep in mind that the virus is a novel virus. Death rates are already dropping in whuhan. As of now the Coronavirus is estimated to having an overall mortality rate of 2%. People admitted to the hospital is at 15%. SARS had a mortality rate of 9% and MERS was at 34%. COVID-19 is less deadly but may be more transmissible. Unfortunately you cannot cure a virus. It is not like a bacterial infection that can be treated with antibiotics. At this point if you get the virus, you can only treat the symptoms. A vaccine can be created once we have enough time for health organizations to isolate and create the vaccine. In people who are already sick in the hospital, there mortality rate is about 45%. I am not sure where the panic is coming from.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before everyone gets all crazy about COVID-19, keep in mind that the virus is a novel virus. Death rates are already dropping in whuhan. As of now the Coronavirus is estimated to having an overall mortality rate of 2%. People admitted to the hospital is at 15%. SARS had a mortality rate of 9% and MERS was at 34%. COVID-19 is less deadly but may be more transmissible. Unfortunately you cannot cure a virus. It is not like a bacterial infection that can be treated with antibiotics. At this point if you get the virus, you can only treat the symptoms. A vaccine can be created once we have enough time for health organizations to isolate and create the vaccine. In people who are already sick in the hospital, there mortality rate is about 45%. I am not sure where the panic is coming from.

I am not panicking about it, and we already have a huge pile of water in our apartment because unlike most people, I prepare for a crisis since we live in earthquake central. I agree that the danger has been exaggerated, but this huge bubble of phony wealth existed in the stock market and it was overdue for a correction. In other words, this might have a lot more to do with the unstable economy and stock market than the virus. The virus might have just been the straw that broke the camels back. We haven't had a serious recession in a long time so the probabilities were high that this would happen this year or next.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not panicking about it, and we already have a huge pile of water in our apartment because unlike most people, I prepare for a crisis since we live in earthquake central. I agree that the danger has been exaggerated, but this huge bubble of phony wealth existed in the stock market and it was overdue for a correction. In other words, this might have a lot more to do with the unstable economy and stock market than the virus. The virus might have just been the straw that broke the camels back. We haven't had a serious recession in a long time so the probabilities were high that this would happen this year or next.
The virus cracked the economy because it will have serious economic effects. That was enough to make people realize it’s inflated with hot air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads