• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The market has proven to be remarkably resilient during these last 4 years, despite foreign tensions, leaving trade agreements, increasing tariffs, general bullying, a lack of authentic diplomacy, etc.
However, the "Caronavirus" is something else. Panic seems to be spreading even quicker than the virus itself.
My friend in Hong Kong says it's very real and my cousin in Italy said that people are extremely scared.
It's definitely going to get worse before it gets any better.
Still, I have a friend that booked a trip to Japan just yesterday due to cheap airfare. He told me it was so cheap. I didn't inquire about exact pricing.
If the panic takes hold, it will grip the world and squeeze tight.
Who knows how bad it will be.
I parked my investments into cash equivalents yesterday.
Time to brace ourselves.

Luckily I have my Strands on with grippy V-Tread. (Sorry no pic - I know - boooooo).

OTOH I have been building cash for just this sort of moment. I built cash between 2000-2008 and deployed it after the financial crisis and hopefully I will get another chance in the next 3-9 months. Good panics come every 10 years or so and there are always good buying opportunities in them. blood on the streets and all that

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The market has proven to be remarkably resilient during these last 4 years, despite foreign tensions, leaving trade agreements, increasing tariffs, general bullying, a lack of authentic diplomacy, etc.
However, the "Caronavirus" is something else. Panic seems to be spreading even quicker than the virus itself.
My friend in Hong Kong says it's very real and my cousin in Italy said that people are extremely scared.
It's definitely going to get worse before it gets any better.
Still, I have a friend that booked a trip to Japan just yesterday due to cheap airfare. He told me it was so cheap. I didn't inquire about exact pricing.
If the panic takes hold, it will grip the world and squeeze tight.
Who knows how bad it will be.
I parked my investments into cash equivalents yesterday.
Time to brace ourselves.

Luckily I have my Strands on with grippy V-Tread. (Sorry no pic - I know - boooooo).
The P/Es were too high. Everybody was just pushing ahead despite a lot of risk. With this, the economic driver is not just panic, but actual production losses. That will result in lower financial results. It's the easiest trigger of a correction.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In non-financial news, and for those who like pictures of shoes in shoe threads, a week in review.

Not spoilered cause “ain’t nobody got time for that.”

BBxCJ chocolate suede Connistons
AE Sauk Drives in dublin
AE Strands in natty shell
CJ Galway 2’s

E171D864-3A1B-414F-AD6F-AF680B4917A4.jpeg DFFC3CF8-B6FC-4D2F-A2C0-94DC3D8877C4.jpeg 7DB3A961-5B11-4377-A10D-E132E648DE6F.jpeg E03B8A40-4443-472A-963C-8E24AB96C5AB.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the financial stuff. Didn't mean to derail the thread.

Never had known about this boot called the Eagle River. Anyone own these? Are they good? This is 8 EEE, but probably very expensive if you bought it from Japan.

lemmy127

Reaction score
Sorry for the financial stuff. Didn't mean to derail the thread.

Never had known about this boot called the Eagle River. Anyone own these? Are they good? This is 8 EEE, but probably very expensive if you bought it from Japan.

Looks just like the infamous Eagle County with a different sole. Pre-First Avenues and in the good old days with free-for-all MTOs in the custom thread, that was a boot made up dozens of ways at dirt cheap prices.

michaeliany

Reaction score
OTOH I have been building cash for just this sort of moment. I built cash between 2000-2008 and deployed it after the financial crisis and hopefully I will get another chance in the next 3-9 months. Good panics come every 10 years or so and there are always good buying opportunities in them. blood on the streets and all that
The P/Es were too high. Everybody was just pushing ahead despite a lot of risk. With this, the economic driver is not just panic, but actual production losses. That will result in lower financial results. It's the easiest trigger of a correction.

No doubt about investment opportunity. I'm sure there are a lot lying in wait, licking their chops. I also got back in sometime in mid 2009, when the dow was in the low 7000s.
Back during the SARs virus, I remember the market also panicking a bit but nothing like this with Coronavirus. If I recall, it only took a few months. This time though, not sure how long it will take to contain the virus, assuage fears, then normalize.
and true that, EZB. I read an article a month or two ago - not sure where, Barron's? and I was shocked to see the P/Es so freakin high. 20+??? nuts.
Back during college, we learned 4-6x was a P/E ratio indicative of a strong company.
Then it jumped to 8 then 10 and nowadays, it's just nuts. Apple was like what, up to 24x?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No doubt about investment opportunity. I'm sure there are a lot lying in wait, licking their chops. I also got back in sometime in mid 2009, when the dow was in the low 7000s.
Back during the SARs virus, I remember the market also panicking a bit but nothing like this with Coronavirus. If I recall, it only took a few months. This time though, not sure how long it will take to contain the virus, assuage fears, then normalize.
and true that, EZB. I read an article a month or two ago - not sure where, Barron's? and I was shocked to see the P/Es so freakin high. 20+??? nuts.
Back during college, we learned 4-6x was a P/E ratio indicative of a strong company.
Then it jumped to 8 then 10 and nowadays, it's just nuts. Apple was like what, up to 24x?
I call these corrections and recovery the ratchet effect. Everybody loses wealth in the downturn. The middle class people have to sell their assets on the cheap to continue. The wealthy have enough money to buy everything on the cheap. The recovery then gives all the gains back to net-zero to the wealthy, and the middle class and poor lose relative wealth. It's not good for the country.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received a questionnaire about dress sneakers from AE.

Deeply flawed. About 20 questions, all being variations of Tell us why you love our dress sneakers and how much of your hard earned dough you will giveus for them. they never asked if I like any of them. Which I really don’t. Blech!

get ready for the Strand sneaker and the Park sneaker! Really AE??

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received a questionnaire about dress sneakers from AE.

Deeply flawed. About 20 questions, all being variations of Tell us why you love our dress sneakers and how much of your hard earned dough you will giveus for them. they never asked if I like any of them. Which I really don’t. Blech!

get ready for the Strand sneaker and the Park sneaker! Really AE??

That would have been a lot more interesting than the surveys they have sent me. I always get nothing but loafers. I have to politely copy and paste "I'm not into loafers" about 10 times. I wonder if they just like to tease me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads