• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone own anything on the 1943 last? Wondering how the fit is?
I own both the Cornwallis and Leiden. Compared to my 65 last shoes, I find the 1943 to be a better fit for me in both styles. Better closure, more comfortable at the ball of foot. The 65 last is tight at the ball and the cone is not as high. A lot of guys would say that I wear my shoes too long as my longest heel to toe is a 9. But my heel to ball is 9.5 on one foot and a 10 on the other. I fit the arch length and width down to the B width as at a nine I am a heavy C width or a light D width. So I do not have issues with the pinky toe. If you are fitting the 65 based on heel to toe length, you may want to go a half size up or one width wider. It really depends on where your hot spots are on the 65.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own both the Cornwallis and Leiden. Compared to my 65 last shoes, I find the 1943 to be a better fit for me in both styles. Better closure, more comfortable at the ball of foot. The 65 last is tight at the ball and the cone is not as high. A lot of guys would say that I wear my shoes too long as my longest heel to toe is a 9. But my heel to ball is 9.5 on one foot and a 10 on the other. I fit the arch length and width down to the B width as at a nine I am a heavy C width or a light D width. So I do not have issues with the pinky toe. If you are fitting the 65 based on heel to toe length, you may want to go a half size up or one width wider. It really depends on where your hot spots are on the 65.
Thanks to both of you for the description / pictures.

So in lets say Nike's I wear 13 all day, but with the 65 I find 12.5 seems to work better as the 13's I have run "long". I do have a 12E on the 65, length is fine, but I have some slight pressure on the pinky toe, prolly EE would have been better.
Long story short I've been wanting some double monks for a while and was looking at the St. Johns, without access to a store, and only having snail mail at my disposal I'm hesitant on ordering due to sizing. Just trying to get an idea what I should be looking at if I do pull the trigger.
That True Size thing on AE says I should order a 13, but also says in the description fit will be Long, which makes me think maybe size down and go wider to compensate.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So in lets say Nike's I wear 13 all day, but with the 65 I find 12.5 seems to work better as the 13's I have run "long". I do have a 12E on the 65, length is fine, but I have some slight pressure on the pinky toe, prolly EE would have been better.
Long story short I've been wanting some double monks for a while and was looking at the St. Johns, without access to a store, and only having snail mail at my disposal I'm hesitant on ordering due to sizing. Just trying to get an idea what I should be looking at if I do pull the trigger.
That True Size thing on AE says I should order a 13, but also says in the description fit will be Long, which makes me think maybe size down and go wider to compensate.
My $0.02: go with your normal size. I find the the fit of the 1943 narrow (in my normal size and width) all around, and definitely shorter than the 65. I would not be able to wear a st johns or a cornie half size down. That might be painful.

All that said, 1943 in my normal size and width is my best AE fit. Like it was mtm for me. Better than the great 65, which has just a bit too much extra length to be perfect.

Side note. I love a walnut St John for summer. great looking shoe

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How does the last fit? Is it close to TTS for brannok? Or is it a finicky last like the 65?
Neo is always a good start point. Newer lasts down in comments of page

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moles and Mills, for the final weekend Eve in February.
5ACCFD6E-69BE-4E19-9AA2-ED5B4474FB4E.jpeg
Bring on Spring

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neo is always a good start point. Newer lasts down in comments of page
Thanks for that link, that should be stickied to this thread, it should always be at the top of the screen no matter what page you are on.

DawgPound

Reaction score

For what it’s worth, originally I thought I was a 11.5 EE (12’s in Nike). After some sizing, found my best fit to be 11 EEE on the 65 last. I then went 1943 last (St John) and got the same 11 EEE. Thought it was a tad snug at the pinky, but as it broke in, fits nicely. Thought about returning it, but glad I stayed with 11 EEE. EE can be hard to come by FYI.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, originally I thought I was a 11.5 EE (12’s in Nike). After some sizing, found my best fit to be 11 EEE on the 65 last. I then went 1943 last (St John) and got the same 11 EEE. Thought it was a tad snug at the pinky, but as it broke in, fits nicely. Thought about returning it, but glad I stayed with 11 EEE. EE can be hard to come by FYI.
Thanks for the input, I will be moving back stateside at some point this year, may just fight the urge to order anything outside of the 65 last since I'm "ok" with the fit of 12.5's at the moment and wait until I can get measured at a store and try on different sizes

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking good!
How does the fit feel? I see you got full lace closure straight out the box
In the toe box they fit like a 65, though I typically see at least some initial lace gap with suede.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads