• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In contrast to my postings last night, I am grateful to already have so many good options in my rotation. After stretching the instep of these for about a week straight, they left shoe is feeling a little better. Should I ever come across another pair of these in brown, it would be an instant buy. I wish mine had a little more distressed orange in them, but they still look great regardless. If AE ever brings this one back in some other kind of kudu like tan, I would buy again.

View attachment 1344627

never did get over the fact they only offered in very limited sizing. :(

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How often do you see this in a restaurant?
0AF8BB60-9CE9-4FAC-A7D0-0D2432DE133C.jpeg

what is that cat doing?
69D2D6B2-7E6F-44F6-91F6-3FAEFDD92717.jpeg

Just eating a fresh fish.
68C3262C-4C8A-4F41-A3E7-511417F563D5.jpeg

I am going for the UPS look while I eat.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitching can totally be replaced, but unfortunately the way AE (and Alden for that matter) handles recrafts I don't think they can internally. It's unfortunate, but I do have a pair with darker stitching as well. They seem to do the color in batches (time lost changing), and yours got batched in the wrong group. It's extra frustrating if they did get the sole and coloring right first time only to mess it up on the remake (hope my poor Carmina doesn't suffer the same fate). Did we have the option of specifying the stich color? I didn't think we did. Either way, I'm sure you'll get a resolution you're happy with.

Good luck man!

Aero's good people; I've nerded out over trunk show news with him before!

I asked Steve if he could do it, and he said he could. But the problem is, the entire sole would have to come off the shoes. The other issue is that the stitching would have to be done by hand, which is very time consuming. It would cost a minimum of $120 because it is time consuming. I think that option is not the best choice. I wanted to save the shell and see if this could be worked out, but I don't really want to spend $120 of additional money on something that should have been right. I'm not worried though, I'm confident AE and I will reach a solution soon.

Rithrin

Reaction score
New shoes came in today! Sadly, not AE.

Ordered some custom Mezlan braided monks back in November. Was really excited about getting these MTM, as AE pretty much has only the Strand Weave and Leiden Weave for this kind of leather, but really dig the idea of this in a monk style.

I will say that comparing quality, my AEs feel a lot sturdier and well put together. And I think I've gotten used to American style shoes as the more sleek, elongated European last now comes off as feeling really funky on my feet.

IMG_20200225_191341.jpg
IMG_20200225_191404.jpg
IMG_20200225_191617.jpg

It came with a Vibram sole, though, so no worries wearing this when it's wet out.

However, to avoid needing to spoiler at least one shot, I'm comparing this to a Mora.

IMG_20200225_192629.jpg

So, who wins here??

Mezlan does have a line of GYW shoes, too, which would be interesting to compare to AEs at similar prices.

ptfly

Reaction score

Ordered some custom Mezlan braided monks back in November. Was really excited about getting these MTM, as AE pretty much has only the Strand Weave and Leiden Weave for this kind of leather, but really dig the idea of this in a monk style.

I will say that comparing quality, my AEs feel a lot sturdier and well put together. And I think I've gotten used to American style shoes as the more sleek, elongated European last now comes off as feeling really funky on my feet.

View attachment 1344747
View attachment 1344749
View attachment 1344750

It came with a Vibram sole, though, so no worries wearing this when it's wet out.

However, to avoid needing to spoiler at least one shot, I'm comparing this to a Mora.

View attachment 1344748

So, who wins here??

Mezlan does have a line of GYW shoes, too, which would be interesting to compare to AEs at similar prices.
I like the shape of the Mezlan. I think it is closer to the silhouette of St John. Of course single vs dbl monk.
I happened to look at my feet as I read this to compare the shapes.

Rithrin

Reaction score

Those are nice looking shoes, sometimes simple designs just speak for themselves. Great pants pairing, too.

Dirt cheap... No need for a black PA here, but it's a great deal.

And I said I was done buying shoes for this quarter. This is really tempting.

I like the shape of the Mezlan. I think it is closer to the silhouette of St John. Of course single vs dbl monk.
I happened to look at my feet as I read this to compare the shapes.
The shape is great, I'm just used to snubbier, wider models on my feet from the last year of wearing my AEs.

I do think they're less casual than my Mora's due to the shape. Not sure they'd pair with jeans or chinos very readily, maybe save them for off trouser days.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are nice looking shoes, sometimes simple designs just speak for themselves. Great pants pairing, too.

And I said I was done buying shoes for this quarter. This is really tempting.

The shape is great, I'm just used to snubbier, wider models on my feet from the last year of wearing my AEs.

I do think they're less casual than my Mora's due to the shape. Not sure they'd pair with jeans or chinos very readily, maybe save them for off trouser days.
The EEE doesn't help either! They look cool (I love weaves), but definitely a toe shape I'm not used to. Comparing my Alden Plaza last and AE 1943/943B, even Carmina's less sleek lasts like Forest look like cigarette boats compared to those pontoons. I'm not complaining, as they're plenty sleek (and most importantly fit), but it was still kinda eye opening to realize just how narrow other makes can look.

Also, how do they fit???

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1344747
View attachment 1344749
View attachment 1344750

View attachment 1344748

So, who wins here??

That is a nice addition to the collection. I have two pairs of Mezlan and enjoy the sexy style, but they are completely different shoes than my AE. One is a Kitty Cat and the other is a Bull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics