• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some natty shell Leeds from my collection:
DSCF0999.JPG

DSCF1006.JPG
DSCF1001.JPG

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
poor bastard is going to walk into an AE store hoping to easily buy a pair of those nice shaved shell boots he saw at the range

And hopefully
Edited: The first time I typed this, I accidentally wrote "contrast lacing" when I actually meant "contrast stitching". Sorry for the confusion!

Well, my Strands arrived tonight, but my heart sank again.

The Good:

-The upper looks fantastic. I absolutely love this variations of bourbon shell.
-I LOVE that they included these contrast laces. Since I was attempting to create a Rush Street kind of casual look to my TS order, this perfectly fit my intention.
-They did use a buff edge like I requested
-Shoes fit as expected

The Bad:

-I requested contrast l̶a̶c̶i̶n̶g̶ stitching (like on the shaved pairs), but they didn't do it for the 2nd time.
-The sole wasn't double JR, but single.

Bottom line:

I would live with the single JR sole mistake if that was the only thing wrong. However, the contrast lacing being wrong again takes away from what I really wanted. There seems to be a disconnect in communication at the factory in some form. Not sure what is happening, but this is disappointing. I'll have to talk to AE and see what my options are. Should these go back, it hurts because the uppers are so beautifully done. Had I paid $400 for seconds, this would be acceptable, but these were $700+ shoes. I'm just afraid to return these because the next pair might have different issues. I get no pleasure in saying any of this, as I'm an obsessed AE fan, and AE will likely always be my no.1 brand for shoes, but this is what I'm honestly thinking.

View attachment 1344287 View attachment 1344288
View attachment 1344289

I am usually very tolerant on such details but these would look better your way.
(far more appropo in the old days!)

Last edited:

Volfan615

Reaction score
Here they are - burgundy suede Strands in a puny size 5.5D. They actually can fit in a single shoe bag (which they came with)!

Oh my, just received confirmation of shipment of my snuff Hamiltons on commando...Talk about a night and day difference in wait times between this and TS2019.2!

Those look great! When did you place your TS order?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone know if welt stitching can be replaced without removing the entire sole and welt?
Stitching can totally be replaced, but unfortunately the way AE (and Alden for that matter) handles recrafts I don't think they can internally. It's unfortunate, but I do have a pair with darker stitching as well. They seem to do the color in batches (time lost changing), and yours got batched in the wrong group. It's extra frustrating if they did get the sole and coloring right first time only to mess it up on the remake (hope my poor Carmina doesn't suffer the same fate). Did we have the option of specifying the stich color? I didn't think we did. Either way, I'm sure you'll get a resolution you're happy with.

Good luck man!
Wanted to give a big shout out to @aero25, who agreed to meet up since I'm in Phoenix this week!

Spent hours on Monday evening nerding out (over Mexican and margaritas) about fine shoes and lasts along with conversing about life in general. I really enjoyed our conversation. The first of the forum members I've met in person and I certainly hope he isn't the last! Alden color 8 Indy for me and AE bourbon shell Higgins Mill for @aero25

View attachment 1344339
Aero's good people; I've nerded out over trunk show news with him before!

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
boring shoes today
IMG-1276.jpg
to spice things up for fans of botched demolition photos in shoe threads here are some photos of the famous leaning tower of Dallas (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/19/us/dallas-building-implosion.html)

IMG-0769.JPG IMG-0772.jpg IMG-0776.jpg IMG-0989.jpg

They blew it up on February 18. They were supposed to finally take it down Monday. On Tuesday they had to bring in a bigger wrecking ball. It's still standing this morning.

video of the initial botched implosion that started it all

coincidentally one of my first client meetings as a young lawyer was on the top-floor C-suite of this building with an executive who was placing $50 million dollar derivative bets against his own company selling calls (against supervoting control shares no less) and needed help navigating Section 16 of the Exchange Act whilst hedging and rolling the calls. He also reportedly had a "workout clause" in his prenup with his 4th wife (a stripper when they met). You might think "workout" is a reference to that type of bankruptcy but no, she was reportedly required to workout at least 4 times per week. He was a billionaire but very conscious of the fact he was no taller than 5'4" so his "personality" was something to behold, what a piece of crap

Last edited:

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Edited: The first time I typed this, I accidentally wrote "contrast lacing" when I actually meant "contrast stitching". Sorry for the confusion!

Well, my Strands arrived tonight, but my heart sank again.

The Good:

-The upper looks fantastic. I absolutely love this variations of bourbon shell.
-I LOVE that they included these contrast laces. Since I was attempting to create a Rush Street kind of casual look to my TS order, this perfectly fit my intention.
-They did use a buff edge like I requested
-Shoes fit as expected

The Bad:

-I requested contrast l̶a̶c̶i̶n̶g̶ stitching (like on the shaved pairs), but they didn't do it for the 2nd time.
-The sole wasn't double JR, but single.

Bottom line:

I would live with the single JR sole mistake if that was the only thing wrong. However, the contrast lacing being wrong again takes away from what I really wanted. There seems to be a disconnect in communication at the factory in some form. Not sure what is happening, but this is disappointing. I'll have to talk to AE and see what my options are. Should these go back, it hurts because the uppers are so beautifully done. Had I paid $400 for seconds, this would be acceptable, but these were $700+ shoes. I'm just afraid to return these because the next pair might have different issues. I get no pleasure in saying any of this, as I'm an obsessed AE fan, and AE will likely always be my no.1 brand for shoes, but this is what I'm honestly thinking.

View attachment 1344287 View attachment 1344288
View attachment 1344289

I am a big fan of the natural edge and have ordered at least five TS shoes with natural edge over the last year or so and your situation induced me to pull them out. FWIW I never said anything about stitching on the welt but in 4 of the 5 cases I got the matching natural edge/stitching that you wanted. It seems to me that stitching to match the welt is pretty much standard in such cases (as it should be).

IMG-1265.jpg
IMG-1267.JPG
IMG-1269.jpg

also pictured (in case any of you footwear freaks were wondering):

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bourbon shell and LAX carpet.

6668F548-D818-4186-8CD2-5EBE540151DD.jpeg

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
boring shoes today
View attachment 1344486
to spice things up for fans of botched demolition photos in shoe threads here are some photos of the famous leaning tower of Dallas (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/19/us/dallas-building-implosion.html)

View attachment 1344487 View attachment 1344488 View attachment 1344489 View attachment 1344490

They blew it up on February 18. They were supposed to finally take it down Monday. On Tuesday they had to bring in a bigger wrecking ball. It's still standing this morning.

video of the initial implosion that started it all

They hired the wrong people.

IMG_0868_zps6deafb95.jpg

Best. Christmas. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads