• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checking in after a month of pretty solid business travel.

After ordering 3 pair for the suede trunk show, I managed to sell 3 pair on ebay. In 2018 I somehow ordered three of the "Road Warriors" F2s while sleep deprived late one night, and never loved (or barely liked) them. Easy choice to let them go to make room for some TS suede. The secondary market does not seem to love them much more than I did, but I cleared enough for some new laces. I will admit to taking my Wilberts on the road with me as true road warriors.

I've never had First Avenues until the last shell trunk show but since getting 2 pair will admit that I miss my worn out Eagle Counties less and less. I will still probably get the Eagle Counties resoled, I've mentioned here before that AE no longer has their wedge sole in my size. I need to decide whether to have a generic wedge sole installed, or go with a more traditional commando type sole. Any recommendations on which way to go?

View attachment 1344227

Those First Avenues look terrific! As for the Eagle Counties, I vote for traditional wedge sole all the way.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checking in after a month of pretty solid business travel.

After ordering 3 pair for the suede trunk show, I managed to sell 3 pair on ebay. In 2018 I somehow ordered three of the "Road Warriors" F2s while sleep deprived late one night, and never loved (or barely liked) them. Easy choice to let them go to make room for some TS suede. The secondary market does not seem to love them much more than I did, but I cleared enough for some new laces. I will admit to taking my Wilberts on the road with me as true road warriors.

I've never had First Avenues until the last shell trunk show but since getting 2 pair will admit that I miss my worn out Eagle Counties less and less. I will still probably get the Eagle Counties resoled, I've mentioned here before that AE no longer has their wedge sole in my size. I need to decide whether to have a generic wedge sole installed, or go with a more traditional commando type sole. Any recommendations on which way to go?

View attachment 1344227
I like having a wedge sole option.
You could always have them resoled by someone else.

lcdx22

Reaction score
So brown shell stands just came in. Side by side with my brown Bartlett.

Not redundant, correct?

IMG_20200225_202313.jpg

lcdx22

Reaction score
Different sizes?

Looked like it at first but other pairs had shoe trees and this didn't not yet. I tried them on and they fit the same.

Now I got paranoid and went back to check all my 65 lasted shoes. After trying them all on I noticed that the Shell Strand has more volume that a Shell PA. The toe seems to be higher.

And while the toe on the calf Strand is lower than on the 201 lasted Bartlett, the Shell Strand seems to be the same if not higher. The Shell PA has a lower toe than all of them.

Bourbon strand, walnut strand, brown bartlett, brown shell strand, chili shell strand, burgundy shell PA, dark chili mcallister.

IMG_20200225_205753.jpg

Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group:

I generally do not shy away from light rain and AE leather sole shoes given that my walk in to work is at most 100-150 yards. Been like this for a while and haven't had any issues.

Today I wore a pair of black Carlyle for the first time and it was very, very lightly raining. Whatever is just above a mist in to actual droplets. Thought absolutely nothing of it. Get up to my desk and go to wipe away the few specks of rain and the shoes look like they broke out in hives. Rough spots the size of rain drops that look like acid rain went straight through the wax and polish and removed finish, and they were raised up like a rash. 30 minutes later they had dissipated enough to be mostly invisible from 6 feet up, and tonight they're hard to see but still there upon close up inspection.

What gives? I was genuinely shocked. Did the same pre-wear new shoe routine with these that I've done with every other.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gone are the days of one black, one brown...
Interesting comment. Did people really had 1 black and 1 brown back in the day? And what shade of brown?

Was tan colour or light brown shoes popular back then?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting comment. Did people really had 1 black and 1 brown back in the day? And what shade of brown?

Was tan colour or light brown shoes popular back then?
Black and dark brown, and yes we did really have 1 of each. And wore them walking to work, uphill, both directions in the snow.....Now Get off my lawn :). In all seriousness, there was a time when that was the norm, one black pair, one brown pair.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the group:

I generally do not shy away from light rain and AE leather sole shoes given that my walk in to work is at most 100-150 yards. Been like this for a while and haven't had any issues.

Today I wore a pair of black Carlyle for the first time and it was very, very lightly raining. Whatever is just above a mist in to actual droplets. Thought absolutely nothing of it. Get up to my desk and go to wipe away the few specks of rain and the shoes look like they broke out in hives. Rough spots the size of rain drops that look like acid rain went straight through the wax and polish and removed finish, and they were raised up like a rash. 30 minutes later they had dissipated enough to be mostly invisible from 6 feet up, and tonight they're hard to see but still there upon close up inspection.

What gives? I was genuinely shocked. Did the same pre-wear new shoe routine with these that I've done with every other.
Acid rain? Seriously though, are they shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads