• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are the knocks on butyl if any? IIRC @Roycru is not a fan. Are they the same as Alden’s waterloc soles?
Am I recalling correctly that the MD chukka uses butyl soles?
Yup.

Some people say they wear quicker than standard soles, but @M635Guy has worn his MDs all over Japan with no issues. I can't accurately gauge some life, but they don't show wear quicker than standard soles from what I've seen

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the knocks on butyl if any? IIRC @Roycru is not a fan. Are they the same as Alden’s waterloc soles?
Am I recalling correctly that the MD chukka uses butyl soles?

I have several shoes in butyl. In my experience, it wears much longer than leather, especially if you hit occasional wet pavement. With house leather, I destroy the toe on shoes super quickly. This doesn’t happen nearly as fast with butyl. However, I don’t find butyl leather necessarily any more flexible than house leather. It’s also harder to glue sole savers on butyl.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My reasons for not owning a Dalton are a few, but it has nothing to do with the "feminine" thing people mention. I just don't have a large need for boots living out in a desert. While it's a fairly balanced design in my eyes, I would much rather own plain toe or cap toe boots. I just prefer to keep simpler designs for boots.
No judgement intended. If I lived somewhere warm I'd have a lot more loafers, weaves and so forth I'm sure. I tend to like elements like broguing, medallions, wingtips or punch caps can so on.

For some reason I'm partial to the Brogue boot, again more so the Stow than the Dalton. The Hamilton I like and will own but it's a bit on the short side. Overall I prefer boots to shoes, I always have even when my collection was mostly Doc Martens.

Leiden's today.
IMG_4875.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone already feeling regret for not ordering something from the Trunk Show?
I put in my standard one pair. After all there are people starving in the world.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone already feeling regret for not ordering something from the Trunk Show?

I felt pangs of FOMO and went back for Round II of ordering on Saturday. I am a little bit nervous about two of my choices which are outside my usual comfort zone (among my orders were a pair on olive Dainite and a pair on blue Dainite). The regret will come when I pay the credit card bill but all will be forgotten by the time they arrive. And so the cycle continues

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads