• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me I think the issue with the quarters could largely be fixed if the shaft weren't so crazy high. It just throws off the overall proportions and I think that's why it looks much better on foot with most of the shaft hidden.

I like the 511 last but I'm not sure it's doing the boot any favors with a flat welt either. It just looks so narrow and dainty to me and a broader (at the ball), more angular and shapely toe would go a long way.
Could use another eye or two

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those who publicly denounce Daltons as girly undoubtedly have several pairs in the closet. Guys... it's OK. Lots of masculine, totally not effeminate men wear Daltons. Prominent politicians, like Senators Larry "Wide Stance" Craig and Lindsay Graham, wear Daltons. So do spiritual leaders like Pastor Ted Haggard. Athletes like Greg Louganis and Bruce Jenner. Classic entertainers like Liberace and Boy George. All of these men wear Daltons. In light of this, I hope you'll stop making the unfounded and baseless claim that Daltons are "girly." I myself have three pairs and think they look FABULOUS! And if I hear anyone else Dalton-shaming I'll scratch his eyes out!

C4771134-D115-43FB-A246-B9C21D881BB6_1_105_c.jpeg

48ED9A4D-36DC-4BF9-B402-DD7E31CE5206_1_105_c.jpeg

6F471142-C3F0-4D25-9919-84ABAAC6D3A7_1_105_c.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BFB74636-B66E-44C5-A928-641ABDA60135.jpg
8DCCB9B3-603A-4A58-9E2B-793EE9714DE8.jpg

:D
To me I think the issue with the quarters could largely be fixed if the shaft weren't so crazy high. It just throws off the overall proportions and I think that's why it looks much better on foot with most of the shaft hidden.

I like the 511 last but I'm not sure it's doing the boot any favors with a flat welt either. It just looks so narrow and dainty to me and a broader (at the ball), more angular and shapely toe would go a long way.
I thought about the height as well. Visually I think it's a problem, but I at the same time like that is higher than just barely taller than a Chukka. *cough* Alden *cough*

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those who publicly denounce Daltons as girly undoubtedly have several pairs in the closet. Guys... it's OK. Lots of masculine, totally not effeminate men wear Daltons. Prominent politicians, like Senators Larry "Wide Stance" Craig and Lindsay Graham, wear Daltons. So do spiritual leaders like Pastor Ted Haggard. Athletes like Greg Louganis and Bruce Jenner. Classic entertainers like Liberace and Boy George. All of these men wear Daltons. In light of this, I hope you'll stop making the unfounded and baseless claim that Daltons are "girly." I myself have three pairs and think they look FABULOUS! And if I hear anyone else Dalton-shaming I'll scratch his eyes out!

View attachment 1342954

View attachment 1342955

View attachment 1342956

You're a EEE guy, right? I do think having a wider width helps beefen up the toe shape in the case of the Dalton. I feel the same way about the macneil.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1342961 View attachment 1342962
:D

I thought about the height as well. Visually I think it's a problem, but I at the same time like that is higher than just barely taller than a Chukka. *cough* Alden *cough*

Fair! Interestingly, Alden's boot height almost perfectly splits the difference between a chukka and the First Ave/Dalton. I think maybe 1/3" to 1/2" shorter could help.

20200223_203415.jpg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say that there's a 99% chance the Dalton will not be in my collection ever. :hide:
I would already have a pair if they were not on the 511. I prefer the look of Trickers Stow’s but they don’t come in extra wide. Hoping AE comes out with a brogue boot on the 65 if not the Hamilton will have to do.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would already have a pair if they were not on the 511. I prefer the look of Trickers Stow’s but they don’t come in extra wide. Hoping AE comes out with a brogue boot on the 65 if not the Hamilton will have to do.

My reasons for not owning a Dalton are a few, but it has nothing to do with the "feminine" thing people mention. I just don't have a large need for boots living out in a desert. While it's a fairly balanced design in my eyes, I would much rather own plain toe or cap toe boots. I just prefer to keep simpler designs for boots.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to AE in SF last night and worked with Mario (Assistant Manager) who was extremely patient and more than accommodating in answering questions and even confirming sizing in each last that I wanted to try on. We came about an hour before closing and they stayed about 45-mins after close helping us through the ordering process. I cannot thank them enough for their excellent service!

This was my first Trunk Show and I must say that the overall experience was great! While we really enjoyed the entire process, I do feel that there can be some improvements in the Trunk Show format:
  • The Trunk Show order form seemed generic and outdated. Was missing key details such as welt style & color and most noticeably, the Hamilton was left off.
  • Thanks to this thread, was able to get key details such as which samples featured which colored welts. This information should at least have been provided to the stores for context (Mario was very impressed to have seen this comparison chart and found it useful).
In terms of what was ordered, I felt a little like I copied the samples. Gotta give AE credit, they really managed to capture some outstanding colors that suited the models on display. Updated the spreadsheet with the shoes I opted for:
  • Hamilton
    • Gray, Black Edge, Split Reverse Welt, Double Oak (Butyl) sole
    • Sand, Antique Edge, Split Reverse Welt, Double Oak (Butyl) sole
    • Burgundy, Chocolate Edge, Split Reverse Welt, Double Oak (Butyl) sole
  • Dundee
    • Snuff, Brown Edge, Split Reverse Welt, Double Oak (Butyl) sole
    • Loden, Brown Edge, Split Reverse Welt, Double Oak (Butyl) sole
Super excited to see how these turn out and extremely thankful for AE San Francisco for everything!

cincytri

Reaction score

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blanton's AND you caught a 7000 Series train? You win today...

Had one on the way in too. I think green and yellow are pretty much those all the time now.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My reasons for not owning a Dalton are a few, but it has nothing to do with the "feminine" thing people mention. I just don't have a large need for boots living out in a desert. While it's a fairly balanced design in my eyes, I would much rather own plain toe or cap toe boots. I just prefer to keep simpler designs for boots.
I love wingtips. I find plain-toe looks very puerile, and I think cap toes often look took business-like (in the sense of business or industrial).

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love wingtips. I find plain-toe looks very puerile, and I think cap toes often look took business-like (in the sense of business or industrial).

I don't generally disagree with you on the cap toe point, but there have been a few AE designs that brought something fresh and different than the usual formal cap toe. The Overlord is one of the most unique shoes in my collection, and I'm a big fan of the design. It's very comfortable, so why do I not wear it often? Because the left shoe was constructed incorrectly and is too tight at the instep. I'm going to try stretching it over the next week for several days to see it it will help. This was one pair I should have asked if they had another pair, but at least the right shoe fits well.

overlord.jpg

Rithrin

Reaction score
Went to AE in SF last night and worked with Mario (Assistant Manager) who was extremely patient and more than accommodating in answering questions and even confirming sizing in each last that I wanted to try on. We came about an hour before closing and they stayed about 45-mins after close helping us through the ordering process. I cannot thank them enough for their excellent service!

This was my first Trunk Show and I must say that the overall experience was great! While we really enjoyed the entire process, I do feel that there can be some improvements in the Trunk Show format:
  • The Trunk Show order form seemed generic and outdated. Was missing key details such as welt style & color and most noticeably, the Hamilton was left off.
  • Thanks to this thread, was able to get key details such as which samples featured which colored welts. This information should at least have been provided to the stores for context (Mario was very impressed to have seen this comparison chart and found it useful).
In terms of what was ordered, I felt a little like I copied the samples. Gotta give AE credit, they really managed to capture some outstanding colors that suited the models on display. Updated the spreadsheet with the shoes I opted for:
  • Hamilton
    • Gray, Black Edge, Split Reverse Welt, Double Oak (Butyl) sole
    • Sand, Antique Edge, Split Reverse Welt, Double Oak (Butyl) sole
    • Burgundy, Chocolate Edge, Split Reverse Welt, Double Oak (Butyl) sole
  • Dundee
    • Snuff, Brown Edge, Split Reverse Welt, Double Oak (Butyl) sole
    • Loden, Brown Edge, Split Reverse Welt, Double Oak (Butyl) sole
Super excited to see how these turn out and extremely thankful for AE San Francisco for everything!

Mario is very friendly and personable. Glad to hear you had a good experience with him as well!

AE did indeed choose well on the samples. Both my orders were exact copies of two of them - no changes needed! Your Sand Hamilton is going to be interesting, please post photos when it comes in!

Out of curiosity, why did you choose Butyl for all the soles?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish there were a poll function here. Just took a flier on two pair of seconds in the clearance event. I believe I got the last Hopkinson in my size. In my experience when I buy late in a seconds sale the defect is always a big one and I'm picky so I end up returning them. I also found the same two pair of shoes available on ebay from the preferred seller so my questions for the board are these:

1. Has it been your experience that during seconds sales the better seconds with less noticeable defects are generally shipped first? I'm sure given the dispersal of inventory it isn't possible for this to be exact and I'm sure it comes down to discretionary decisions by SAs so I'm inquiring after your general experiences.
2. Given the choice between BNIB seconds and the preferred eBay seller (who I believe deals in lightly worn firsts) what is your general preference?
If it’s 10.5D I called about that pair and decided to pass. I am still watching the eBay versions.

To me, at least with the ones on eBay I can see the defect(s) although they usually are lightly worn firsts. Something from the shoe bank is more or less of an “unknown quantity”. From the description given by the SA of the Hopkinson seconds, I may have been inclined to return them anyway as there’s nothing worse than a blemish on the cap toe IMO. The whole point of a cap toe oxford is getting that toe spotless and well-shined. And with AE $25 restocking fee vs. $12 on eBay, that helps the decision. That said, I hate having to return things on eBay for fit issues as I know it hurts sellers (they don’t get the tax or fees back from a sale return).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads