• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering if I could get some assistance. I purchased these a while back (to flip), and the last seller listed them as being from the Allen Edmond Shell Cordovan Collection. I listed them and then put them away in appropriate storage, and haven't looked at them again; until today when they sold. However, having now handled actually 100% confirmed shell cordovan (AE Macneils) I believe these Grayson Loafers (8227) to be calf skin and NOT shell Cordovan.

Before I message the buyer, could someone offer another insight?

The obvious reasons behind my conclusion would be the creasing and scratching. The leather also feels thin (expected for loafers) and unlike my other Shell Cordovan shoes. The soles are worn / resoled so offer no clue.

Thank you in advance!
View attachment 1342460
View attachment 1342461
View attachment 1342463
View attachment 1342464
Now that you know they are not Shell, how much of a learning experience was it? Expensive or relatively cheap?

F-4C

Reaction score
Now that you know they are not Shell, how much of a learning experience was it? Expensive or relatively cheap?

It was luckily a cheap experience! I purchased these for £25 a few months back - so you can imagine my initial excitement. Calf Skin Graysons in burgundy still go for around £45+ here in the UK, so if the buyer decides to cancel/take my offer of £40 then I won't be losing out too much. It's a shame about the outcome, but I learn something new everyday in the reselling industry and that's part of the reason I enjoy it so much. I just wish I had learned this / revisited this before they sold. Mistakes like this are part of life's greatest lessons - so I won't let this learning opportunity go to waste.

I am fortunate enough that my genuine AE shell experience was also cheap. I bought brand new Shell Macneils for £9.99 at a vintage store.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HMs for teaching my son to drive I need to be comfortable and prepared.
FDA4223C-60CA-4302-B5C8-11821A6CB641.jpeg

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which of the AE loafers are/would be the most business (trou and SC) appropriate? I don't know much the the breads

In addition to the Randolph, I would say the Grayson. I have tasseled loafers - burg shell by one maker, snuff suede by another - I wear with odd jacket & tie all the time.

I think a chocolate suede Grayson would be great for such purposes.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sitrep: added higgins mills and did a donut run. Which is an ironic title since one has to run a LOT to get rid of the calories. I anticipate being back in a deficit tuesday.

20200223_101035.jpg

Easteregg: Infected Mushroom.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was luckily a cheap experience! I purchased these for £25 a few months back - so you can imagine my initial excitement. Calf Skin Graysons in burgundy still go for around £45+ here in the UK, so if the buyer decides to cancel/take my offer of £40 then I won't be losing out too much. It's a shame about the outcome, but I learn something new everyday in the reselling industry and that's part of the reason I enjoy it so much. I just wish I had learned this / revisited this before they sold. Mistakes like this are part of life's greatest lessons - so I won't let this learning opportunity go to waste.

I am fortunate enough that my genuine AE shell experience was also cheap. I bought brand new Shell Macneils for £9.99 at a vintage store.

Wow!

That’s about $13 for those of you scoring at home.

LuxLemon

Reaction score
AE x Winefest - 3 hours, 300+ Global wine samples available, multiple food stations from local restaurants.

View attachment 1342395
300+ wines???? WOW after that no wonder faces are blurry :) Sounds like a good time, what size area was it held in, our local wine tasting is usually confined to a store (who happens to sell the wine we are tasting)

And my head is just as blurry when I woke up! lol

It was in a relatively large site, think more of a glamorized trade show for wine than a wine tasting.

to keep it on topic - the lake forests with a suspect dye job are starting to look more Oxblood than chili now that I bought and applied some polish Yesterday.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, did they actually say cordovan collection, or just cordovan? Sellers either don't know or are intentionally deceptive and use cordovan as a term for burgundy. In the future, I would suggest looking at the shell database (and asking here) for shell verification by model number. Also, not sure how they looked in listing, but I suspect if we'd seen the pics we could have caught it before purchase. Luckily they were cheap, and as shoenut said it was a good learning experience!
In addition to the Randolph, I would say the Grayson. I have tasseled loafers - burg shell by one maker, snuff suede by another - I wear with odd jacket & tie all the time.
Great minds think alike!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMG_20200223_102346.jpg

Madhat understands everyone recommends Feibings for calf dye, but I'm not sure about their suede dye. Seems watered down compared to Angulus. I thought the bluer black of Feibings would net me factory black suede compared to the brown black of the more red (purplish) black of Angulus. Nah, brah. Nearly same color. I'm thinking I might try a pass over with navy dye to get them bluer like the Caens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads