• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptfly

Reaction score
Mercer street and sea islands have arrived look pretty good.
Quick photos in bad lighting.
View attachment 1340249 View attachment 1340250

The right loafer of the sea islands has a slight wrinkle at the toe but that’s all I can see wrong with it.
View attachment 1340251

I sized down on the Mercer which is what is needed for heel slip but does make them snug. They will stretch I’m sure. I will say they feel like they have adequate vamp room which is very rare for me. I’ll have to have a full day in them before I can make an informed opinon on fit.

It is a bit odd that these are 8.5’s and fit length wise the same as the sea islands in 9.5.

I do really like the olive suede and I think some Hamiltons in this shade would be very nice.
View attachment 1340267

I think Walnut is my second favorite shoe color but then I don’t have rare shell.
View attachment 1340269
Looking good. I am envious of the olive mercer. I tried to hunt done a B width for a long time now. Even asked for assistance but came up empty. I think the mercer is on a last that isn't documented. How would you describe the heel, toe and cone height?

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can’t tell her, it is cheating.
Nice ad placement here...
Untitled.jpg

It's the small things in life...

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw these on someone dressed in slacks, shirt and tie and sport coat. Almost, but didn’t ask what model they were, does anyone here know?

View attachment 1339953

View attachment 1339955
Is this some kind of joke? is it a homeless person that just got some fresh threads for a job interview and is still wearing the same shoes they wore when they went down the heroin rabbit hole a few years ago that ultimately found them on the streets???

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my local store SA-approved brannock size for the Daltons. Too tight for comfort and I even kept them a month before eventually returning them. Like Klitschko in Hayden.
This led me to size up a half-length for my Long Branch. Heel is good but roomy in the toe box. Not so roomy as if it's hotdog in a Kardashian. I just tighten the laces near the bottom. I sometimes wonder though if my brannock would fit better for the Long Branch.
:crackup:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this some kind of joke? is it a homeless person that just got some fresh threads for a job interview and is still wearing the same shoes they wore when they went down the heroin rabbit hole a few years ago that ultimately found them on the streets???

I absolutely had a hard time believing what I was seeing, but no not homeless. He was leaving the smoking area, inside of a building only accessible by employees. His decent pants, shirt, tie and jacket gave me one of those, “wait what,” moments. Perhaps he lost a bet.

cincytri

Reaction score
Snippet of a conversation from this past weekend.

Queen Mother Weasel: “How about some magical brown Dundee’s that I found in the warehouse in your size?”

Me: “Take my credit card, please!”

**poof** Dundees appear.
View attachment 1340076
I love having those types of conversations.
I remember when I used to get calls like that...sadly, not so much anymore.

xghostsniperx

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the Ralph Lauren AE lines? I bought a pair of “Saunders” chukka boots in snuff suede but can’t find any info on the last other than a few posts on here that say they fit true to size. Any info would be much appreciated!

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the Ralph Lauren AE lines? I bought a pair of “Saunders” chukka boots in snuff suede but can’t find any info on the last other than a few posts on here that say they fit true to size. Any info would be much appreciated!

I got you, buddy. I have a pair and have worn them hard for the last 2/3 years. It’s on the 222 last, so it’s a pretty narrow fit, but mostly true to size. I think the dovetail heel and sleeker last give it a little more up-town on the Dundee.

xghostsniperx

Reaction score
I got you, buddy. I have a pair and have worn them hard for the last 2/3 years. It’s on the 222 last, so it’s a pretty narrow fit, but mostly true to size. I think the dovetail heel and sleeker last give it a little more up-town on the Dundee.

Great stuff, thanks! Very glad I went true to size in that case (not like I had a choice). Got them for $178 with barely scuffed leather soles off grailed. Wish they were dainite, but I can’t be too picky. If you happen to have any pics I would love to see how they’ve aged - but again, thanks for the excellent info.

Overall I’m blown away at the slim pickings for a slimmer lasted snuff suede chukka in the sub-$400 range. My opinions came down to Carmina, Meermin, and Spier & Mackay - having no experience with all of those and having numerous AE shoes I have high hopes for these. I know Alden was in the $550ish range but that’s just too much for my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics