• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gorgeous trio of Strands!
And that shot helps me answer whether the Brogue Strands are too close to the glorious brown shell version.
Oh hell no!

I know, right?

Quick but sincere thanks to Ashley and RJ of Team Charleston for digging out a 13 A Grayson and the heretofore nonexistant 13 A Randolph for me to try on in advance of making my trunk show picks, and getting both to me, pronto. Amazing customer service.
Bonus, the 13A Grayson fits very well, and the 13 A Randolph well enough for my skinny flat feet. Randy has a big cone! :p but width-down, he's manageable.
Can you compare the Grayson to Randolph? I've only tried 11.5EE; I think E would have been better. I feel like it had a wide heel and lots of instep volume, but not necessarily more than Randolph. I guess an important question is toe taper between the two...I couldn't tolerate a narrower area at my toes than Randolph

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And that shot helps me answer whether the Brogue Strands are too close to the glorious brown shell version.
Oh hell no!

I know, right?

Quick but sincere thanks to Ashley and RJ of Team Charleston for digging out a 13 A Grayson and the heretofore nonexistant 13 A Randolph for me to try on in advance of making my trunk show picks, and getting both to me, pronto. Amazing customer service.
Bonus, the 13A Grayson fits very well, and the 13 A Randolph well enough for my skinny flat feet. Randy has a big cone! :p but width-down, he's manageable.
You may find that suede Randolph is a better fit.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All voyagers. All the time

how i live.gif

F38etz

Reaction score
Different size, but I wear a 6.5 EEE in the Randolph and can't wear the Grayson. The Randolph is wide enough for my toes, but a just a little tight across my instep. The Grayson is a no go due to being tighter in the instep.

This is a quote from my shoe notes: "Grayson: 6.5 EEE too tight across the top of my foot, hard to even put on, toes and heel fit fine".

For comparison, 6.5 EEE in the Bradley or Leeds are my best fitting shoes from AE. The MacNeil is 6.5 EEE is a little loose, but comfortable.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A width Grayson has a much improved (narrower) heel with just enough toe room. My normal B width Grayson is good up front but sloppy in heel. For me the Grayson has less room up front than Randolph

A width Randolph has good toe room forward and good heel but still has some room under the strap—where a normal instep is usually found. If the suede Randy runs a little tighter than the calf I’ll be in bidness. if not I may have to put a tongue pad under the R strap.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I seem to think that you recently retired? Is that correct? If so, please describe the retirement feeling related to your shoe collection. Did you instantly feel the need to add a bunch of Wilberts and sneakers to the stable? I got to know.

I am "semi-retired" since I continue to do consulting but I no longer go to the office. This has had a HUGE impact on my shoes. My need for "office shoes" such as shell LWBs has dropped considerably and now I go towards more casual offerings. Suede and scotch grain and now common and my wearing of boots has increased drastically. I will be moving to eastern PA where winter makes itself known, unlike LA. I can see myself wearing boots the majority of the time and suede shoes. I will be keeping cap toe oxfords for those suit occasions, but I can see I will be selling some of the office shoes once I get moved and settled in.

These are either on order or received. Some more adapted for bad weather than others, which is clear from the material and sole.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 1.54.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 1.53.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 1.52.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 1.59.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 1.59.05 PM.png

Not pictured, snuff suede Leeds from the trunk show.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
completely agree with that, but also realized I have some pairs that have turned the corner on actually being decent “investments”.

I was cleaning this pair yesterday, purchased in spring of 2014 during the Anniversary sale for $249.

View attachment 1339300
I still wear them once a week, and at one point probably 3x a week. So estimated 600-700 wears, and haven’t even recrafted or needed to change the heels. I noticed the v tread is peeling back a bit, but otherwise, not bad!
I'll be at 24 pair when my two Alden pre-orders arrive in a month or two (and 25 in the fall, when my third Alden pre-order arrives), and all but three of them (IIRC) have been acquired since I joined SF not quite a year ago. Coincidence? I think not...

I'm wearing one of my more recent acquisitions today; Coffee McAllisters (I really wanted a pair of the Brown Jeffersons that were on clearance a short time ago, but they didn't have any left in my size, so I got these instead):

View attachment 1339304
Another McAllister guy here. Probably my second most worn work shoes, after the black Parks.
F75B7379-4478-4090-BDF4-683BB8CE4A58.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am "semi-retired" since I continue to do consulting but I no longer go to the office. This has had a HUGE impact on my shoes. My need for "office shoes" such as shell LWBs has dropped considerably and now I go towards more casual offerings. Suede and scotch grain and now common and my wearing of boots has increased drastically. I will be moving to eastern PA where winter makes itself known, unlike LA. I can see myself wearing boots the majority of the time and suede shoes. I will be keeping cap toe oxfords for those suit occasions, but I can see I will be selling some of the office shoes once I get moved and settled in.

These are either on order or received. Some more adapted for bad weather than others, which is clear from the material and sole.

View attachment 1339454
View attachment 1339456
View attachment 1339457
View attachment 1339459
View attachment 1339460

Or just dress nicer inside your home so that you can wear those more formal shoes. I'm sure everyone will understand if you explain it like that.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or just dress nicer inside your home so that you can wear those more formal shoes. I'm sure everyone will understand if you explain it like that.
Hell, if you can’t wear denim with OCBD and some LWBs. If can’t wear um.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1339454
View attachment 1339456
View attachment 1339457
View attachment 1339459
View attachment 1339460

EXACTLY the footwear dilemma I went through 3 years ago, with the exception of the move. Need for "dress" shoes went down to almost 0, and boot wear increased from 10% of the time to 90+% of the time. Welcome to the club!!!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hell, if you can’t wear denim with OCBD and some LWBs. If can’t wear um.

Heck, denim and shell and LWBs were MADE for each other. Bourbon Leeds, natty MacNeils, bourbon MacNeils and vintage Florsheims.

IMG_7391.jpg

IMG_7789.jpg
IMG_7634.jpg

IMG_7820.jpg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY the footwear dilemma I went through 3 years ago, with the exception of the move. Need for "dress" shoes went down to almost 0, and boot wear increased from 10% of the time to 90+% of the time. Welcome to the club!!!
I define my own need for dress shoes. The standard at work is flip flops or trainers. Wear the shoes you like!

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh hell no!

I know, right?

You go on n git you some now. ;) Naw, it’s a totally different brown. I’ve always wanted a brown suede oxford. I’ve a nice grey flannel suit to wear them with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads