• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed, Ashley took a deep dive and these surfaced in my size.
And this is where I have a dilemma. I like buying at my home store but they just don’t have the access to the deep abyss. I feel like I am missing out. When I go to the Shoebank, Jean can usually find something interesting right away. She is like a no dot wizard.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And this is where I have a dilemma. I like buying at my home store but they just don’t have the access to the deep abyss. I feel like I am missing out. When I go to the Shoebank, Jean can usually find something interesting right away. She is like a no dot wizard.
I miss the Shoebank. It’s been a few years since I drove up there.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The abyss still yields good catches?
The wild thing is some of these are things that were not in the system even as no dots a year ago. A pair of MCW5 Strands popped up in my size...it's like how did those disappear from inventory for years?

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right? If they were my size, and I didn't already have them in natty I'd have bought them. I was going to put toe taps on some of my pairs initially but I decided rather than paying to ship them off and have it done I'd wait until they get resoled and have it done then. Especially since most of my pairs get worn like 4-6 times a year. I've also seen a rubber type flush toe tap but rarely ever see it posted, I guess it isn't nearly as popular.
My gait is very weird. I’ll wear out the toe 100% in about 10 wears sometimes!

Isn’t it odd that we think about about filling a hole in our collection/rotation that constitutes 6 wears a year????

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gait is very weird. I’ll wear out the toe 100% in about 10 wears sometimes!

Isn’t it odd that we think about about filling a hole in our collection/rotation that constitutes 6 wears a year????
Yes, I realized a while ago that the "investment" in good shoes and recrafting went away like 30 pairs ago. Making purchases like yea I don't have something like that as if I'd somehow find myself without shoes to wear for something.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I realized a while ago that the "investment" in good shoes and recrafting went away like 30 pairs ago. Making purchases like yea I don't have something like that as if I'd somehow find myself without shoes to wear for something.
Since I only started late 2018, I used 2019 to build a sizable collection while figuring out my style, sizing, and preferences. This year the target is 4-6 pairs. I am likely to decrease that to 2-4 pairs annually for 2021 and beyond. Some of my collection will get resoled, while others may get resold. I am at about 30 pairs of good shoes and luxury sneakers. The sneakers collection is almost certainly going to remain as is at 5 pairs. They get worn somewhat often, but with 5 in that rotation, they will last years; I won't be buying more until one is ready to be tossed. The shoe collection is broken down into formal and rotational pairs. Formal pairs are those which I really only wear with suits, though I could wear them with slacks. (I don't wear slacks.) Since my current job is totally casual, those are boxed up for the 4-6 wears I can find excuses (e.g., attending a wedding, giving testimony to school board or local government, or some fancy event). That collection will probably remain stable at 5 pairs, except I could add a chili shell PA this year to it. So that brings me to the 20 pairs of shoes and boots that work in a casual rotation for the approximate 275 days I am not wearing sneakers or the more formal rotation. I think more than 40 in that collection starts to get out of hand, and based on 6 purchases this year, and 4 from then on, I will hit that in 2024. Then I can make decisions about selling off pairs.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cavanaughs and stealth socks. sshhhh..

Attachments

• 20200218_112928.jpg
    20200218_112928.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 28

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

completely agree with that, but also realized I have some pairs that have turned the corner on actually being decent “investments”.

I was cleaning this pair yesterday, purchased in spring of 2014 during the Anniversary sale for $249.

4EE2EF95-0438-4D54-95CF-6D1A75043DDD.jpeg

I still wear them once a week, and at one point probably 3x a week. So estimated 600-700 wears, and haven’t even recrafted or needed to change the heels. I noticed the v tread is peeling back a bit, but otherwise, not bad!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
completely agree with that, but also realized I have some pairs that have turned the corner on actually being decent “investments”.

I was cleaning this pair yesterday, purchased in spring of 2014 during the Anniversary sale for $249.

View attachment 1339300
I still wear them once a week, and at one point probably 3x a week. So estimated 600-700 wears, and haven’t even recrafted or needed to change the heels. I noticed the v tread is peeling back a bit, but otherwise, not bad!

V-Tread is a beast. It's what I get most of my shoes in now. I don't seem to chew through the toes, so it doesn't need taps, and it is usually easy to break in with the right profile.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
V-Tread is a beast. It's what I get most of my shoes in now. I don't seem to chew through the toes, so it doesn't need taps, and it is usually easy to break in with the right profile.
Agreed, I ordered my TS Higgins Mills on v-tread.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be at 24 pair when my two Alden pre-orders arrive in a month or two (and 25 in the fall, when my third Alden pre-order arrives), and all but three of them (IIRC) have been acquired since I joined SF not quite a year ago. Coincidence? I think not...

I'm wearing one of my more recent acquisitions today; Coffee McAllisters (I really wanted a pair of the Brown Jeffersons that were on clearance a short time ago, but they didn't have any left in my size, so I got these instead):

20200218_mcallisters.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads