• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmh20

Reaction score
I take the OP's point as I was in that boat at one time. While my rare shell ownership is on the moderate end of the SF scale, I'm with @madhat on this. My rare shell looks great on the rack while my color 8 gets most of the activity. I am always considering moving whats left of my rare stuff.
I don’t think any of this is unique to Shell cordovan shoes. If I could only have one car, probably wouldn’t be an Audi R8. If I could only have one suit, not sure I’d go with light grey.

That being said, I’ve found great versatility in both the Chili and Bourbon shell I got in the fall, I’m wearing the Bourbon with *gasp* light brown chinos today.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That being said, I’ve found great versatility in both the Chili and Bourbon shell I got in the fall, I’m wearing the Bourbon with *gasp* light brown chinos today.
3054029F-2DAE-4F19-B683-4ACC8644250A.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think any of this is unique to Shell cordovan shoes. If I could only have one car, probably wouldn’t be an Audi R8. If I could only have one suit, not sure I’d go with light grey.

When I was brushing my burgundy First Ave pair yesterday, I was thinking about what I would buy next and in what colors. I would certainly try for a shaved shell pair, but bourbon and chili would still be on my list. I love navy, but I'd probably get my second or third order in another burgundy: shaved, bourbon, burgundy.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BFT9000 and gunboat derbies, name a more iconic duo.

IMG_20200210_111735.jpg

Resident weasel @ProfilaBinding sent these to me from his personal collection, and I must say I am enamored. These Williams are my first pair from the Independence Collection, and I'm in love with the leather used for the uppers, the wheeled welt, and that double leather sole.

Thanks PB!

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Um, yea because the obvious buy is the Bugatti Chiron. You could settle for a Maclaren 720S or Lamborghini Aventador S.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@BFT9000 and gunboat derbies, name a more iconic duo.

View attachment 1334684

Resident weasel @ProfilaBinding sent these to me from his personal collection, and I must say I am enamored. These Williams are my first pair from the Independence Collection, and I'm in love with the leather used for the uppers, the wheeled welt, and that double leather sole.

Thanks PB!
At least they're flat welt and sleeker last! Kinda sorta on brand. This brings up a bigger issue; you can wear the 222?!?!

phunk311

Reaction score
What style and color do you guys find to be the most versatile for spring and summer? I wear lighter colored chinos or dark denim with button downs to work.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regarding the "my first suede" question,

1. Snuff Strand/Hamilton, depending which way you swing on the shoe/boot spectrum
2. Snuff HM/Leeds/Dundee
3. Snuff Randolph/Grayson
4. Navy Strand/HM/Leeds/Dundee (depends on above and style preference)
5. Loden Strand/HM/Leeds/Dundee (depends on above and style preference)

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BFT9000 Do they fit you okay??
At least they're flat welt and sleeker last! Kinda sorta on brand. This brings up a bigger issue; you can wear the 222?!?!

They fit me very well. I'm inclined to say that these fit me a little more comfortably than many 65 last shoes. I'm not sure if that's because they're already broken in.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Funny, it's almost as if the guys who have all those rare colors have "been there done that" and recognize that #8 is actually the more versatile color! The other colors are fun, but at the end of the day, #8 really is the capsule wardrobe color for shell.
The guys who don't have any lust after it until they get it and realize it's not quite as easy to wear as they thought...I've seen several guys make that concession after owning several whiskey/ravello/etc. on the Alden thread.
If I were to go capsule wardrobe, I'd be getting rid of most of my rare/odd colors as well.

+1, if I had to choose between #8 and having the same models in an exotic shade (I have a decent exotic collection but I'm not mdubs so I'd need more makeups if I had to stick to one color), I'd choose #8 every time because it goes so well with everything, both formal and casual. Don't get me wrong it's nice to have some variety and I still love my exotics but to me #8 will always be king because of its versatility and beauty.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um, yea because the obvious buy is the Bugatti Chiron. You could settle for a Maclaren 720S or Lamborghini Aventador S.

I'd sooner rock a Testarossa. At least that has room for 2 bicycles and an outboard engine....and case of champagne for good measure. :hide:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads