• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's really the difference between Natural, Walnut, Whiskey, and Bourbon shell?

Some more experienced may have a better explanation than I... but that said:

Whiskey - (Alden's special color) is very light, almost honey colored. Akin to AE's lighter colors.

Walnut - Darker than Natty or Whiskey. Similar to Bourbon shell, but darker. Maybe some orange/brown tones on older pairs. See my old pair of Walnut shell Dalton (the ultimate grail), photo below.

Bourbon - AE special, very light like Natty or Whiskey but still a hair darker than either of these two. Very close to a "natural" shell color.

Natural - AE special, almost has an orange tone to it in the pairs I've come across. AE's lightest shade and one of the most rare.

Honestly, Natty and Whiskey are probably the two closest and most comparable shades between AE & Alden. Basically the lightest, most pure shells get the treatment of being turned into grail pairs of shoes.

Walnut Shell Dalton (unlined)
IMG_0759.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG

Who else has a pair of these?
I’ve also got a pair of the woven Brisbane, but I like the fit of these better due to a little extra length.
View attachment 1326305

Used to think those were a bit goofy, but they're growing on me for a smart casual! What is the insole made of? The leather looks very substantial and nice. Do you tree them after use like a dress shoe?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whiskey - (Alden's special color) is very light, almost honey colored. Akin to AE's lighter colors.

Walnut - Darker than Natty or Whiskey. Similar to Bourbon shell, but darker. Maybe some orange/brown tones on older pairs. See my old pair of Walnut shell Dalton (the ultimate grail), photo below.

Bourbon - AE special, very light like Natty or Whiskey but still a hair darker than either of these two. Very close to a "natural" shell color.

Natural - AE special, almost has an orange tone to it in the pairs I've come across. AE's lightest shade and one of the most rare.

Honestly, Natty and Whiskey are probably the two closest and most comparable shades between AE & Alden. Basically the lightest, most pure shells get the treatment of being turned into grail pairs of shoes.

View attachment 1326303 View attachment 1326304

Used to think those were a bit goofy, but they're growing on me for a smart casual! What is the insole made of? The leather looks very substantial and nice. Do you tree them after use like a dress shoe?
These have a removable leather-covered foam insole. Underneath that is more foam.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because there is so much variation in shell already and it changes over time, I don’t really find much news to differentiate between natural, bourbon, or whiskey. Am
I a heretic?

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whiskey, Bourbon and Natural aren't unique to any makers (to my knowledge, the only unique colors these days are Ravello, Cigar and maybe Chili). Walnut was AE exclusive but hasn't been made in years and I understand won't be run again due to color inconsistency. C&J and others currently use Whiskey; Carmina, Rancourt, Bonafe and Viberg (from time to time) all have run natural makeups recently; and Carmina, Viberg and Bonafe have all had recent Bourbon runs. My understanding is that Bourbon and Whiskey use the same dying process but for Whiskey they only use shells selected for high clarity.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I can tell you there is no difference between whiskey and bourbon, other than bourbon having a lower tolerance for clarity. Nick Horween has said as much as well as I recall. I have cats laying on me currently, but I can provide photographic evidence later if required.

Rithrin

Reaction score
I hope to see a Grayson in suede before the show starts. Will the tassels be contrasting full grain or a suede tassel. The way they did the Acheson was fantastic. The Acheson has spoiled me.

I found these through Google. Some of the photos I find look very structured, whereas others seem very soft.

These brown Graysons would be how I hope the TS models would turn out.

Allen-Edmonds-X-Lands-End-Snuff-Suede-Grayson-Tassel-Loafers-Red-Clay-Soul-Front.jpg
Allen-Edmonds-X-Lands-End-Snuff-Suede-Grayson-Tassel-Loafers-Red-Clay-Soul-Side.jpg

Whereas this Navy one looks very unstructured, which is more casual than I'd like.

2385890.jpg

The TS models were all said to be lined, I believe. Would imagine that is the prime factor that determines the soft/structured feeling.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because there is so much variation in shell already and it changes over time, I don’t really find much news to differentiate between natural, bourbon, or whiskey. Am
I a heretic?
No you're not, though bourbon/whiskey tend to have a more golden color, while natural and caramel have an orange tone.
At the end of the day, if you put enough wear and sun exposure, everything from black to green to Rubi to natural will all end up a mid-dark brown. Not that most of us will get any pair there in a lifetime, but that is the result based on testimony from guys who buy a shell Viberg service boot or similar and wear the hell out of only one pair.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No you're not, though bourbon/whiskey tend to have a more golden color, while natural and caramel have an orange tone.
At the end of the day, if you put enough wear and sun exposure, everything from black to green to Rubi to natural will all end up a mid-dark brown. Not that most of us will get any pair there in a lifetime, but that is the result based on testimony from guys who buy a shell Viberg service boot or similar and wear the hell out of only one pair.
It’s interesting how wear and sun can lighten one color and darken another over time! How does that even work

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I’m pretty lazy about maintenance beyond brushing and occasionally using leather lotion or other basic product. I would like to go further with it, so if that helps then I probably would make more of an effort
Actually using wax polish on burnishing can be problematic. Especially if you go the mirror shine route. If you use a nuetral wax on unprotected factory finishes, you can actually start to remove the burnishing little by little. On burnished shoes, I always recommend using a complimentary creme polish first. This will help keep the burnishing in tact for longer. I have even seen leather lotion start to take the burnishing off a naked factory finish. If you did want to use wax after the creme polish you would need to make your base layer a brown wax first and then you can use nuetral on top for that extra shine.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I a heretic?
No. You have eyes.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found these through Google. Some of the photos I find look very structured, whereas others seem very soft.

These brown Graysons would be how I hope the TS models would turn out.

View attachment 1326321
View attachment 1326322

Whereas this Navy one looks very unstructured, which is more casual than I'd like.

View attachment 1326323

The TS models were all said to be lined, I believe. Would imagine that is the prime factor that determines the soft/structured feeling.
both of those look vedy vedy nice to me!

DawgPound

Reaction score
I mentioned the other day I had four pair come in right around the first. Here they are! Gray strandmoks and shell daltons (thanks Charleston for finding both of these!), CXL higgins (also from Charleston), and carbon strands from Zappos.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads