• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't want to color anyone's judgement and also to cause them to consider it for themselves but since you asked, I will answer separately here with:

Randolph
Carlyle
Leeds
Grayson

..and possibly the Plymouth (just not sure about wearing with shorts.. but maybe!)
Good choices. I'd really like to get something that's versatile but slightly more in the direction dress casual. I'm pondering a sand Randolph.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just remember Alden suede is over $600... With basically zero chance if discount unless you're a 9D and buying used.
I think $400 for MTO AE suede is fine. No, it's not a $99 pair of AE, but just because that's what you want to pay doesn't mean that's what they really are worth.

The only reason I'm not going crazy in this one is because I have a very mature collection already (many combinations offered I've got covered), and I bought 11 pairs of TS shell last year (along with other AE and other mfgs)...I really need to be more reasonable this year!

I think it’s a good deal, especially now that AE is using the exact same suede as Alden: full grain reverse calf from C Stead.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't want to color anyone's judgement and also to cause them to consider it for themselves but since you asked, I will answer separately here with:

Randolph
Carlyle
Leeds
Grayson

..and possibly the Plymouth (just not sure about wearing with shorts.. but maybe!)
a Carlyle with shorts? This means war!

I think it’s a good deal, especially now that AE is using the exact same suede as Alden: full grain reverse calf from C Stead.
No. There is no full grain calf suede in this show

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Hello:

At lunch today, I dripped some Chinese cuisine on my relatively new MacNeil longwings. Any advice as to how I may best get these oily spots out? On clothing, I have the best luck putting a dab of Dawn dish detergent on the spot and then pouring boiling water from the tea kettle over it, but obviously that wouldn't be a great idea with leather shoes.

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello:

At lunch today, I dripped some Chinese cuisine on my relatively new MacNeil longwings. Any advice as to how I may best get these oily spots out? On clothing, I have the best luck putting a dab of Dawn dish detergent on the spot and then pouring boiling water from the tea kettle over it, but obviously that wouldn't be a great idea with leather shoes.

View attachment 1325482
hussard oil remover

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello:

View attachment 1325482
Try corn starch to pull the oil from the food out, it has worked for food spills on some of my CXL. Worth a try, takes a few days however.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spilled Sole Guard on my favorite McGregors. The oil set in for a week. Hussard removed it without affecting the leather negatively.
Another product I have to get now. I have heard good things about it in the past, now I feel I should have some in the shoe care box.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the last report was that it was Repello suede? And I also thought Janus was the full grain reverse calf? If I misunderstood please someone correct me! Thanks.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the last report was that it was Repello suede? And I also thought Janus was the full grain reverse calf? If I misunderstood please someone correct me! Thanks.
You have it correct. Repello suede except gray, which is kudu. I asked @ae_ashley to confirm whether it was reverse kudu.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As Ashley pointed out, yes, it is Stead, but ti isn't full grain. Rather, it is Repello, which I'm pretty sure is split.

The question of whether people who gladly pay MSRP for AE shell would do so for suede is an interesting one. AE has cultivated a "wait until it is on sale" midset among many, intentionally or not. The base price for Dundee, Macneil, and at least one other model is $395. Assuming 10% sales tax, that's puts you at about $435.

If you order from certain authorized dealers in the UK, you can get a C&J suede Chiltern chukka in three days for $436, but only in snuff, dark brown, and earth green.

So even at full retail, AE gets points for some unusual colors, a wide range of widths, and (for some) the attraction of ordering discontinued models vs. european competitors.

It will be interesting to see how this TS plays out.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Ashley pointed out, yes, it is Stead, but ti isn't full grain. Rather, it is Repello, which I'm pretty sure is split.

The question of whether people who gladly pay MSRP for AE shell would do so for suede is an interesting one. AE has cultivated a "wait until it is on sale" midset among many, intentionally or not. The base price for Dundee, Macneil, and at least one other model is $395. Assuming 10% sales tax, that's puts you at about $435.

If you order from certain authorized dealers in the UK, you can get a C&J suede Chiltern chukka in three days for $436, but only in snuff, dark brown, and earth green.

So even at full retail, AE gets points for some unusual colors, a wide range of widths, and (for some) the attraction of ordering discontinued models vs. european competitors.

I really don't want the Chiltern. AE at ~$400 for the model I actually want in the color I want.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The C&J is only an option if they fit you, which they don't me. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads