• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aenonymous

Reaction score
When released, the Independence line used a high end calf-box produced by the Tanneries du Puy. I have the Williams in black and it has the attributes of your Hopkinsons. The finish reminds me of the dead matte beauty of early Van Briggle pottery. The secret to producing that celebrated glaze was rediscovered after having been lost for more than 400 years. As far as the appearance, either you get it, or don’t. :rolleyes:
Mmmmm, pretty sure it was from Tannery Haas. Specifically Haas Novocalf.

Last edited:

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were in charge of revamping the Indy line of shoes, which styles would you choose?
That’s a great question. I mean, I think I’d include the standard, but more:
  • Plain toe oxford
  • Cap toe
  • Oxford
  • Semi-brogue oxford
  • Wingtip oxford
  • Longwing blucher
  • Chelsea boot
  • Chukka
I might also instead make it a line of 7-eyelet oxford-boots like the fifth street. So 7-eyelet versions of
  • Cap toe
  • Punch cap toe
  • Semi brogue
  • Wingtip

Rithrin

Reaction score
These Fifth Avenues were Walnut last week. Something stained one shoe and I couldn't get it out. Not even sure what it was. Ended up having to lightly sand to remove. They were already stripped so I said, *******, why not try and re-dye them. This was my very first attempt at doing a custom patina.

View attachment 1325112

View attachment 1325113
Nice work! Looks dark chili-esque, but with more character.

OmBom

Reaction score

This subject has been discussed before on SF, and I thought the consensus was du Puy, but I'm just as happy to learn it is from Haas! AE is certainly cagey about their source tanneries, unless it is shell from Horween. Paul G. said when introducing the Independence Collection in 2011 that the leather was sourced from the same French tannery that John Lobb uses. Now we know, thanks!

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were in charge of revamping the Indy line of shoes, which styles would you choose?

Stitch cap oxford (Hopkinson)
Wing tip oxford (Jefferson)
Punch cap oxford (like 5th Ave)
Shell tassel; e.g. Grayson to Indy spec
LWB to Indy spec
A real balmoral dress boot
Shell chukka to Indy spec

A Super Seven of heritage type shoes, MIUSA with a full range of sizes. Real QC.

Maybe a loss leader but a great way to “show the company flag.”

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sold the shoes or the ugly jeans? :p

I never realized how ugly my "dad jeans" were until about a year ago. I gave them away to my wife's father. I sold the shoes because I just am not that much into suede. I always feel like I have carpet on my feet. Not trying to sound inflammatory by saying that (aka not trolling).

WNovizar

Reaction score
Bring back 1.0 stuff. Williams, Rutledge, Harrison

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fifth Street today.
C36B0D97-2A4D-49B8-BDFE-121799D3D5F0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads