• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@polojock615 coming? @madhat flying in again? @smfdoc, don't get lost in moving boxes.
I wish. Unfortunately work obligations will prevent a trip this time... I'll try to get out to another one though!
I still have my doubts, last 3 pair of new, retail AE I have bought have not been "excellent". And I'm a long time, many pair owner, who likes AE a lot. (over 90 pair in the closet at the moment). But stuff like that makes me leery......
You're pretty set in the shoe department, you're talking about not buying much this year, and no one is forcing you to participate.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello mreams99--

I am a decided AE fan and I own roughly 2 pairs for every day of the week. That said, I present Exhibit A: a pair of new-in-box Bartlett being offered now on the popular auction site...

View attachment 1324437

Does this "raw edge" bespeak a premium $530 shoe...?

It looks like something you get from one of my South Texas flea markets.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Independence shoes are pretty excellent, my son has a pair of walnut Bartletts and the Bartlett really is a premium Strand. I have a pair of Palm Beaches and the quality is amazing.

I also have a pair of Hopkinsons in black calf. The last is great, the quality of the learher is great, and the level of fit and finish is very high. however, I still haven’t managed to get a mirror shine on them, and that is kind of odd. The Hopkinson is a captoe, and that’s the kind of shoe that lends itself to a mirror shine. But the Independence line uses really soft leather, and I think it’s harder to get a high shine on such soft leather.

Then again, a lot of people don’t like a mirror shine. I do like it, but honestly a case can be made for soft leather that doesn’t take a high shine, especially on higher end shoes like the Indy.

Last edited:

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nevermind the europe trip, ******* festival sold out in 9 minutes and i never had a chance to even enter the ticket shop. just sat there on the splash page.
But you bought that snazzy suit just for where was it, Lithuania? Slovakia?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just received my Patton 2nd's today.

There is a noticeable indent on the right boot's toe area. Dealbreaker or does it just add a bit more charm?

Otherwise a very beautiful boot IMO.

Im so freaking far behind that his was likely answered 50 times. It’s a deal breaker for me. A dented toe cap never looks right even when you try to smooth it back out.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stumbled upon this Amazon review this morning in regard to the McAllister and thought may ring true with some if not most here in regard to AE..

18787c49-a561-4e5e-b8ff-0cd9fbe6d17e._CR0,0,500,500_SX110_.jpg

Evan Streamer·3 December 2013
5.0 out of 5 starsVerified Purchase
Great American made shoes!
Allen Edmonds is the great American shoe company and these shoes are a testament to fine American craftsmanship. Wearing them takes you back in time to a time when men dressed like men. When you shaved with a straight razor and put on a suit every morning for work. The leather soles quietly click beneath you and the cork inner soles conforms perfectly to your feet providing the utmost in comfort. These shoes remind me of a time gone by when every man wore leather shoes and had a polishing kit to take care of his investment. You don't throw these out like a thrashed pair of sneakers when the sole is worn, you have them recrafted and wear them for another five years then wear them and repeat. If you appreciate true, American made quality buy a pair, you will love the feeling of becoming an Allen Edmonds man. Just be warned, you will become addicted. Since buying this pair of AE shoes I have bought 15 more pair and now I refuse to wear anything else. They feel so good you will throw away your sneakers and start dressing much nicer on a daily basis.

6 people found this helpful

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Independence shoes are pretty excellent, my son has a pair of walnut Bartletts and the Bartlett really is a premium Strand. I have a pair of Palm Beaches and the quality is amazing.

I also have a pair of Hopkinsons in black calf. The last is great, the quality of the learher is great, and the level of fit and finish is very high. however, I still haven’t managed to get a mirror shine on them, and that is kind of odd. The Hopkinson is a captoe Blucher, and that’s the kind of shoe that lends itself to a mirror shine. But the Independence line uses really soft leather, and I think it’s harder to get a high shine on such soft leather.

Then again, a lot of people don’t like a mirror shine. I do like it, but honestly a case can be made for soft leather that doesn’t take a high shine, especially on higher end shoes like the Indy.

It isn't really odd that it doesn't take a mirror shine. Like you said, the leather doesn't lend itself well to the wax, and most people have issues getting them to a mirror shine level. Also, the Hopkinson is definitely not a blucher.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish. Unfortunately work obligations will prevent a trip this time... I'll try to get out to another one though!

You're pretty set in the shoe department, you're talking about not buying much this year, and no one is forcing you to participate.
I know that no one is forcing me to do much of anything, but blue suede HM's have a bit of an appeal visually.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It isn't really odd that it doesn't take a mirror shine. Like you said, the leather doesn't lend itself well to the wax, and most people have issues getting them to a mirror shine level. Also, the Hopkinson is definitely not a blucher.

You're right, not a blucher. An Oxford? In any event, I realize that a mirror shine is not for everyone. Some people think it's too flashy and prefer a more matte look. I'm an outlier in terms of my love for mirror shines, it's true. That said, the Hopkinson is indisputably a very classic dress shoe. It seems like a dress shoe should be able to take a mirror shine. If that isn't possible I get it, but I wish it were possible.

OmBom

Reaction score

I also have a pair of Hopkinsons in black calf. The last is great, the quality of the learher is great, and the level of fit and finish is very high. however, I still haven’t managed to get a mirror shine on them, and that is kind of odd. The Hopkinson is a captoe, and that’s the kind of shoe that lends itself to a mirror shine. But the Independence line uses really soft leather, and I think it’s harder to get a high shine on such soft leather.

When released, the Independence line used a high end calf-box produced by the Tanneries du Puy. I have the Williams in black and it has the attributes of your Hopkinsons. The finish reminds me of the dead matte beauty of early Van Briggle pottery. The secret to producing that celebrated glaze was rediscovered after having been lost for more than 400 years. As far as the appearance, either you get it, or don’t. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads