• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gv7123456

Reaction score
A great choice! I considered it, but I want a suede MacNeil, and I think it's better in burgundy than gray. Gray Hamilton is where I will go for the second order. I'm probably limiting myself (with great restraint) there. My goal is 4-6 shoes this year MAX:

Suede Show: 2
Shell Show: 2
March Madness: 1
Everything else: 1

Very tight!
Funny. I’m likely going with the opposite. I’m leaning gray MacNeil and burgundy Hamilton. I was hoping for a short wing option, but the MacNeil seems like it will be much more of a crowd pleaser for the crew here. Lots of good options available.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A great choice! I considered it, but I want a suede MacNeil, and I think it's better in burgundy than gray. Gray Hamilton is where I will go for the second order. I'm probably limiting myself (with great restraint) there. My goal is 4-6 shoes this year MAX:

Suede Show: 2
Shell Show: 2
March Madness: 1
Everything else: 1

Very tight!
I am hoping to do fewer as well.

1 GS Navy Suede
1 AE Burgundy Suede

Probably an Olive Suede Strandmok 2nd
Strand Weave 2nd, Copper, Olive or Chili
Penny loafer
Football grain Patton ?

@ae_ashley Put me on the email list for Suede TS seconds, 9 EEE. :D

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny. I’m likely going with the opposite. I’m leaning gray MacNeil and burgundy Hamilton. I was hoping for a short wing option, but the MacNeil seems like it will be much more of a crowd pleaser for the crew here. Lots of good options available.
What soles are you considering? I have plenty of burgundy boots already in shell also, so gray adds variety

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark brown suede can be easily used as a dress shoe, if the shoe has clean lines. I have worn dark brown suede captoes with blue suits in the past, that combination looks fine. You can wear dark brown suede with a dark gray suit too, although that’s going to place you on the bleeding edge of dressy.

I’m not sure if other colors of suede would work with a suit. I just got a pair of snuff suede tassel loafers from Alden, and they are very sleek and elegant shoes. But I just wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing them with a suit.

obviously the foregoing applies two traditional wool three season suits in businesslike colors and patterns. Of course you can wear suede, spectators, etc with a summer suit. Suede would probably also work just fine with a wool Prince of Wales suit, or a really colorful windowpane suit. but if you’re talking about a traditional business suit in traditional business colors like navy and gray, chocolate brown suede works fine but I don’t know if any others would work.

It's like you and @EZB are in my head writing this stuff for me. Y'all are correct (meaning I agree :-D ) that a dark brown suede stitch cap or punch cap oxford can "reach upwards" and be paired with suits, especially flannel ones. I've got a brown suede punchcap that IMHO works very well with my navy flannel suit. Also works with odd jackets and trousers.

But .... I don't think I'd wear the snuff in this TS with a suit, even if it were offered in a plain cap toe. Ditto the other colors offered.

However, the Macneil will look great in snuff and some of the other colors.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday, gents! Saddled up for the weekend on this rainy and foggy Friday. Leffot color 8 saddles.

ADD: I do REALLY wish AE would bring back a saddle, especially in two tone. A shell and suede saddle like Alden has done before would really be spectacular.

IMG_20200124_083726.jpg
IMG_20200124_092255.jpg

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Packing a suitcase for a wedding as we speak. Snuff suede strand with navy suit? I feel like it would be to casual but I do love them. I usually go with chili LaSalle but they are a bit boring. Thoughts? Another option is natural shell Grant stone plain toe blucher (look like Leeds).

I feel like the suede of the AE and the less formal shape/design of the GS cancel each other out. I'd probably be more likely to wear the sleeker shape with a worsted suit and not worry as much about the material.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's like you and @EZB are in my head writing this stuff for me. Y'all are correct (meaning I agree :-D ) that a dark brown stitch cap or punch cap oxford can "reach upwards" and be paired with suits, especially flannel ones. I've got a brown punchcap that IMHO works very well with my navy flannel suit. Also works with odd jackets and trousers.

But .... I don't think I'd wear the snuff in this TS with a suit, even if it were offered in a plain cap toe. Ditto the other colors offered.

However, the Macneil will look great in snuff and some of the other colors.
I actually think the MacNeil would go well in any of the colors offered. The clunky shoe is well suited for textures uppers.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm reposting these question since (i) it was after midnight, and (ii) I forgot to tag @ae_ashley :

* What color(s) is NOT Janus suede (reverse calf)?

* Is the “Dainite" like rubber sole offered actual Dainite brand?

* Are red,blue, and olive the only Dainite colors offered? No black or brown?

* I’m guessing MRSP for the Macneil and Grayson will be $395? But what about the Dundee?

*Is this the real Macneil or the 2.0?

Thanks!

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Hello Men--

Men, here is one you don't see every day: the Strawfut. Originally in production some 60 years ago, they were re-introduced very briefly @2010.

IMG_7651.jpeg

I just received this pair of 2-tone brown leather/linen 'Futties yesterday courtesy of Poshmark. What's weird is that a 13D in the Strand--which comes from the same 65 last--is too tight for comfort so I had to size up to an E width, but yet the Strawfut fits me perfectly in a 13D. I took a gamble on these nearly-new 2-toners that hearken back to the 1930s Gatsby era, and I came up gold. Life sure is dealing me aces (at least in terms of footwear).

It was a close call on the homefront yesterday evening, however. I arrived home from work @5 minutes before the missus, which gave me just enough time to open the shipping box, toss it in the trash outside, and hurry back in to try these on. Just as I was pulling them off, She Who Must Be Obeyed got in, took a look, and said, "WHAT--new shoes?!?"

"New? Oh no," I said, "these aren't new--they've been around for about 10 years. I guess you've never noticed them"

She pondered it for a moment, and then continued inside to sift through the mail.

I wasn't lying...

Last edited:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

michaeliany

Reaction score
I spent a good bit of time google searching different combos of suede. This would be my first ever suede purchase, actually. I have some questions. I guess the primary question I have is, is suede better as a casual shoe or can it work as a dress shoe or is it like everything else and just depends on the style and color?

I currently don't have any suede (and I've only ever had one pair (non-AE) that I used so much, they eventually ripped) so I'm likely in and probably for a make-up that is versatile.
First thought: Navy/Snuff Hamilton on Commando with Transparent Brown Edge, Split Reverse.

I did make a rabbithole mistake by going to the CF Stead website to look at colors, hoping to see in more detail. The possibilities!

But I also really want something with a Buff edge.

Also in the running: HM, MacNeil, & Leeds.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That works well! I wouldn't recommend it for black tie--the most formal :)

I agree with you - no brown suede with black tie.
It should be noted that I am a heretic, though. Last year, I wore blue shell wholecuts with a black tux. Admittedly that was partially a packing oversight, but I’d do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads