• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is your Strand really the same color as that being offered in the TS as "loden"?
That label "loden" has been used in the past for a gray-green suede which was nearly indistinguishable from the "dark taupe," like shoenut is wearing above^

The "Loden" Hamilton shown in Ashley's photo looks more like a forest or hunter green, to my eye.

Lighting makes a big difference in color. I have the taupe version as well, and it has contrast stitching. In some light, it is the same with taupe and loden; in other light, the loden is much greener.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent a good bit of time google searching different combos of suede. This would be my first ever suede purchase, actually. I have some questions. I guess the primary question I have is, is suede better as a casual shoe or can it work as a dress shoe or is it like everything else and just depends on the style and color?

Dark brown suede can be easily used as a dress shoe, if the shoe has clean lines. I have worn dark brown suede captoes with blue suits in the past, that combination looks fine. You can wear dark brown suede with a dark gray suit too, although that’s going to place you on the bleeding edge of dressy.

I’m not sure if other colors of suede would work with a suit. I just got a pair of snuff suede tassel loafers from Alden, and they are very sleek and elegant shoes. But I just wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing them with a suit.

obviously the foregoing applies two traditional wool three season suits in businesslike colors and patterns. Of course you can wear suede, spectators, etc with a summer suit. Suede would probably also work just fine with a wool Prince of Wales suit, or a really colorful windowpane suit. but if you’re talking about a traditional business suit in traditional business colors like navy and gray, chocolate brown suede works fine but I don’t know if any others would work.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent a good bit of time google searching different combos of suede. This would be my first ever suede purchase, actually. I have some questions. I guess the primary question I have is, is suede better as a casual shoe or can it work as a dress shoe or is it like everything else and just depends on the style and color?

Suede is more casual for sure. With the texture, a lot of people pair it with other textured clothing materials as a casual, but still traditional, wardrobe. So a traditional style (e.g., Oxford) suede can still be a great dress shoe. If there were a spectrum from casual to formal, both materials take up a lot of the spectrum, but suede would be missing from the very top end and more concentrated at the bottom and middle.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark brown suede can be easily used as a dress shoe, if the shoe has clean lines. I have worn dark brown suede captoes with blue suits in the past, that combination looks fine. You can wear dark brown suede with a dark gray suit too, although that’s going to place you on the bleeding edge of dressy.

I’m not sure if other colors of suede would work with a suit. I just got a pair of snuff suede tassel loafers from Alden, and they are very sleek and elegant shoes. But I just wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing them with a suit.

obviously the foregoing applies two traditional wool three season suits in businesslike colors and patterns. Of course you can wear suede, spectators, etc with a summer suit. Suede would probably also work just fine with a wool Prince of Wales suit, or a really colorful windowpane suit. but if you’re talking about a traditional business suit in traditional business colors like navy and gray, chocolate brown suede works fine but I don’t know if any others would work.
Suede is more casual for sure. With the texture, a lot of people pair it with other textured clothing materials as a casual, but still traditional, wardrobe. So a traditional style (e.g., Oxford) suede can still be a great dress shoe. If there were a spectrum from casual to formal, both materials take up a lot of the spectrum, but suede would be missing from the very top end and more concentrated at the bottom and middle.

@VeritasAequitas - as many here know, I’m a fan of mixing formality (eg Bloor Streets). Chocolate suede captoes can indeed be toward the formal end of the spectrum:
Carmina alert:
45D3E046-0CB1-4C0B-9C94-D295CEFFEA24.jpeg

Style, last, and finishing make a big difference too. These look more formal to my eye than many full strap loafers:
AFA3DC41-03C8-4655-9A49-CFA9F349D949.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@VeritasAequitas - as many here know, I’m a fan of mixing formality (eg Bloor Streets). Chocolate suede captoes can indeed be toward the formal end of the spectrum:
Carmina alert:[ View attachment 1323528 /SPOILER]

Style, last, and finishing make a big difference too. These look more formal to my eye than many full strap loafers:
That works well! I wouldn't recommend it for black tie--the most formal :)

backofthenet

Reaction score
Packing a suitcase for a wedding as we speak. Snuff suede strand with navy suit? I feel like it would be to casual but I do love them. I usually go with chili LaSalle but they are a bit boring. Thoughts? Another option is natural shell Grant stone plain toe blucher (look like Leeds).

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep , you are correct, Burgundy then.
A great choice! I considered it, but I want a suede MacNeil, and I think it's better in burgundy than gray. Gray Hamilton is where I will go for the second order. I'm probably limiting myself (with great restraint) there. My goal is 4-6 shoes this year MAX:

Suede Show: 2
Shell Show: 2
March Madness: 1
Everything else: 1

Very tight!

gv7123456

Reaction score
@ae_ashley can you confirm piping colors that will be used? Looks like almost all of them are the suede color or close (chocolate and snuff have brown, gray has gray, loden has either loden or gray.) On the burgundy I can’t tell if that’s brown or black. For something like that where it’s different than the suede color would that always be the same or would it depend on edge ordered? It seems like ridiculous detail, I know, but if the burgundy definitely comes with brown piping, for example, I would factor that into edge choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads