• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strutting the stuff today. First day at the new office, in training, so I had to wear the black shell Parks. A bit overwhelmed, but you have to just lower your head and plow through!

IMG_20200121_120920.jpg
IMG_20200121_121925.jpg

pbrandes

Reaction score
Debating if I should pick up the Mercer in Olive, I only have two pairs of loafers but it's not like I need them.

mercerstreet-5345-olivesuede-profile-web-c.jpg

mercerstreet-5345-olivesuede-angle-web.jpg

What is the 78 last? It is not on AE's "improved" All About Lasts page. How does it fit compared to 65, 79, etc.? Any other models on that last for comparison? Since it's not available in E width I doubt I'm a candidate, but still curious.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the 78 last? It is not on AE's "improved" All About Lasts page. How does it fit compared to 65, 79, etc.? Any other models on that last for comparison? Since it's not available in E width I doubt I'm a candidate, but still curious.
I'm assuming it's to the 79 what the 64 is to the 65.
@Neo1 hadn't weighed in, but @Genericuser1 did down in the comments on the second page. Bonus, neo added in some comments on Alden lasts!

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BFEF98A8-7740-4CEC-9812-87FA8562DDA0.jpeg

48B64CF1-EA02-474D-84ED-8986CD8F55C7.jpeg

Greetings, fellow enthusiasts. Haven’t worn these in a long while. J Crew flannel-lined Bedford cords and so-so chambray shirt, LL Bean imitation Shetland sweater, AE First Ave boots in brown country grain.

I must say that these are pretty darned comfortable. So why don’t I wear them? Well I suppose it’s the last shape. Either they feel a bit too formal when I’m wearing jeans or five pocket pants or they feel a bit too casual if I try them with dressier trousers. I do like them more with the flat laces from the Higgins Mills, though.

Anyone have success restoring a uniform color to this leather using the AE cream polish? I’ve tried once half-heartedly with results that failed to please me. This leather seems to scuff easily.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1321692

View attachment 1321693

.... So why don’t I wear them? Well I suppose it’s the last shape. Either they feel a bit too formal when I’m wearing jeans or five pocket pants or they feel a bit too casual if I try them with dressier trousers.

Put your concerns aside. In my view they are no where near "too formal" to wear with jeans or five pocket pants. It is a split welt derby boot in grain with exposed metal eyelets and speed hooks. It checks almost every informal box possible.

Everything today looks great, including your brick selection.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score

ducatiti

Reaction score
Hello. First time caller, long time listener! First post here.. I have one incoming Allen Edmonds, and currently have a McAllister in tan to add to my newly acquired collection. Been a fan of Ferragamo since my college days (20 years) ago with their loafers. Started collecting oxfords late last year and have the following incoming :)

AE Cordovan McNeil in Burgundy (arriving Friday)
Carmina Cordovan Black Cap Toe - Forest (arriving Friday)
Carmina Cordovan Green Blucher - Forest (just ordered)
Carmina Plain Brown Cap Toe - Forest (arriving Friday)
Beckett Simonon Valencia Whole Cut in Bordeaux (arriving today)
Becket Simonon Durant in Oak (arriving today)

Currently have dead stock Ferragamo in Tramezza and Originalle lines... So nice that I just can't break them out to wear lol. For sure, I will rock the Beckett Simonon's first as my beaters hehe.

Stranded94

Reaction score
Chili Leiden Weave today. Got these from Dabondo for about $100. They look great but do feel a bit cheap compared to my discontinued Sturgis boots and merlot Strands. Heels squeak, interior lining isn't as soft, and the sole is not as decorative as the Strands used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads