• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I really like the new olive Strands. But, I'm trying really hard not to buy all the shoes this year. So, if I were to buy them I would need to sell something for it to replace. This may sound like blasphemy, but I'm actually considering my green shell Strands. Bottle green is great, but the olive is more my jam. Two things stopping me, I don't really want to get rid of my green shell and my Rush St might be too much of an overlap! I'll ponder on this one a bit more... @ProfilaBinding might have some words of encouragement for me?
Wow—essentially trading shell for calf!

lemmy127

Reaction score
I have the snuff. It is amazing. As soon as my first LHS came in (hunter green suede), I ordered the snuff. Possibly an even better fit for my foot than the 606, but the Patriot would still get my monies if it was being made. I'm not sure what about that pattern/last makes it more difficult, but I've seen some really rough seconds.

Rancourt has more volume than the Van or 606, so bear that in mind too if you go with their loafers. Honestly, you aren't going to feel much difference between blake-rapid and GYW, and they are resoleable. Caramel isn't exactly bourbon, but it ages beautifully.

I'm very tempted by the unlined and flex sole aspects of the snuff too.

I've got two pairs of Rancourt beefrolls, so I know their fit (need a tongue pad to eliminate heel slip). My main problem with their Blake-rapid has more to do with their materials... in my experience, their leather outsole is pretty thin and wears much faster than a standard AE leather sole. But their half strap loafers look like a Cavanaugh, and I want a Patriot/LHS, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

darkclassic

Reaction score
Good morning gents

rush st 012120.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What size ?
11EEE - I don't think you'd be happy with them if I decide to sell. :p
I'm very tempted by the unlined and flex sole aspects of the snuff too.

I've got two pairs of Rancourt beefrolls, so I know their fit (need a tongue pad to eliminate heel slip). My main problem with their Blake-rapid has more to do with their materials... in my experience, their leather outsole is pretty thin and wears much faster than a standard AE leather sole. But their half strap loafers look like a Cavanaugh, and I want a Patriot/LHS, so it doesn't really matter anyway.
I read you on that. When I want an LHS/Patriot, I want an LHS/Patriot. Rancourt doesn't offer that

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

Question.

At what point did AE go away from the "old box" for the Indy collection?

I am close to buying a pair of the soon-to-be-discontinued Bartlett, and there is single-digit availability in my size. From seeing a pair currently up on eBay, I discovered there was a period @2018 when AE went to a raw edge along the top of the collar; looks terrible (see photo), and because they got so many complaints, they reverted back to the traditional piping in 2019. I understand from member ProfilaBinding that the pre-raw edge issues of the Bartlett had an even softer lining than the current, post-raw edge production does. Thus I am hoping to procure a traditional piped collar pair from pre-2018 if at all possible.

It turns out that 2 of the 4 stores that have my size in the Bartlett have the clean-looking piped edge I'm hoping for, and of those two, one reports the shoes to be in the "old box" and the other the "new box." Does the "old box" for the Indy line indicate a pre-Caleres shoe...?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Here is a photo of the fugly raw edge I'm trying to avoid; as if my young daughter took a pair of scissors to them. Pretty shocking that these are a top-of-the-line factory first for AE...

IMG_7634.jpeg

Shoes4play

Reaction score
Suede Caens today.

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I really like the new olive Strands. But, I'm trying really hard not to buy all the shoes this year. So, if I were to buy them I would need to sell something for it to replace. This may sound like blasphemy, but I'm actually considering my green shell Strands. Bottle green is great, but the olive is more my jam. Two things stopping me, I don't really want to get rid of my green shell and my Rush St might be too much of an overlap! I'll ponder on this one a bit more... @ProfilaBinding might have some words of encouragement for me?

I'm in a similar boat. I am wearing my Cheaney olive shoes today and figured this would be the only green pair I would buy in 2020. It wouldn't be a sin to sell your green Strands if you don't find you use them. Nothing wrong with selling something that you don't use a lot. Some people will not like me saying that, but that's how I see it. If you would get more use out of an olive Strand, then I see nothing wrong with that decision. Having said that, I have no plans to sell my green shell Strands, but I re-listed my Williams on Ebay for $60 (final sale). The last buyer returned them as they didn't fit him (no surprise, as the 222 is a nightmare for many).

I plan to pick up an olive Strand. I'm just waiting patiently for the right time. Olive PA? Probably, but not for a while. That would bring my total to 4 in 2020, which is double what I thought it would be. The C&J is also highly comfortable, which was surprising to me after reading @smfdoc's horrible experience with his C&J Dainite shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads