• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did it again.

(For those keeping score at home, these are Brogue Suede Strands. They were one of the answers in the recent Strand Quiz.)

View attachment 1321153

Around a year ago had the worn Dainite heels replaced with ordinary rubber heels. Found doing so did not seem to affect the performance of the shoes although it cost around $15.00 as opposed to the around $50.00 it costs to get new Dainite heels so did it again.

Can buy lots of cookies with the $35.00 saved.

Wonder if this will become more common now that A-E is using Itshide Danite-like soles in various colors?

While on the subject of money-saving ideas, having the keyboard as a separate piece saves money if the keyboard is damaged.

View attachment 1321175

On a totally different subject, glad to have lived most of my life before shops had to include instruction books in their tie displays.

While still on the subject of money-saving ideas, all of the information about how to tie a tie can be found online for free.

View attachment 1321181

Took this picture a few days ago at the Getty Center shop. Did not buy a tie there. Still get nightmares about museum store ties from when I worked at the Metropolitan Museum Of Art Store (or, as some of us called it, "The Little Shop Of Horrors") in Century City.
Has anyone ever actually worn the main part of a dainite sole through? I've seen heels replaced as well as replacing the dainite before it was dead for various reasons, but I've never seen a hole in dainite. Admittedly, the people who would take pics of it are probably not the people who would wear a single pair enough to get to that point...

I just shake my head when I order bow ties and they come with a "how to tie" insert.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever actually worn the main part of a dainite sole through? I've seen heels replaced as well as replacing the dainite before it was dead for various reasons, but I've never seen a hole in dainite. Admittedly, the people who would take pics of it are probably not the people who would wear a single pair enough to get to that point...

I just shake my head when I order bow ties and they come with a "how to tie" insert.
I think if all the studs and worn down , the balance of the shoe would be terrible, fording a resole of Dainite anyway.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No love for the Rainier boot here? It's on the 1757 last, can anyone weigh in on the fit compared to the Higgins Mill?

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HM is the 1757 also, but I have found HM runs larger than other 1757. Try same size as on HM or 1/2 size up.
I don’t understand this.
A 1757 last is shaped the same regardless of what boot is made on it.
Sure, there are some fit differences between open-laced (derby/blucher) versus closed lace (Oxford/balmoral) designs. If the shoes were built on the same last, then the heel and toebox fit and the length should all be similar.
I have found variance between different shoes made on the same last, even in the same model. I attribute that to some slight variances between lasts of the same size, and some differences in how the workers build the shoe.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, it is getting hard for me to imagine ever having any of my shoes resoled. No single pair is worn all that often.

In fact, since become an “enthusiast” I’ve only had two pair resoled: a vintage pair of Florsheim shell and my MTO Long Branches with that soft translucent lug.

I have two pair from other makers with double Dainite soles. Not real comfortable but they will never wear out. But I wouldn’t recommend double Dainite to anyone.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t understand this.
Sure, there are some fit differences between open-laced (derby/blucher) versus closed lace (Oxford/balmoral) designs. If the shoes were built on the same last, then the heel and toebox fit and the length should all be similar.
I have found variance between different shoes made on the same last, even in the same model. I attribute that to some slight variances between lasts of the same size, and some differences in how the workers build the shoe.
It doesn't make sense, but I have also noticed HMs fitting larger than other 1757 (Sonoran, Bowery). I think Neo had experienced similar.
Yeah, it is getting hard for me to imagine ever having any of my shoes resolved. No single pair is worn all that often.

In fact, since become an “enthusiast” I’ve only had two pair resolved:a vintage pair of Florsheim shell and my MTO Long Branches with that soft translucent lug.

I have two pair from other makers with double Dainite soles. Not real comfortable but they will never wear out. But I wouldn’t recommend double Dainite to anyone.
Gawd. Yeah, double dainite sounds like hell...especially if it's C&J (which seem to feel harder from the start)

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Rothsay boots (also on the 1757) fit a little more narrow than my Higgins in the same size. I've often read that cxl fits a little larger, and I've found that to be true for the most part. It could just be variation within how they were made. It took me years to realize that I can't give anyone any absolute fitting advice because I've experienced so much variation in sizing. I've got an 8.5 D PA that fit tighter than an 8 D pair. "Just try it on" as my local AE guy says in Century City.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No love for the Rainier boot here? It's on the 1757 last, can anyone weigh in on the fit compared to the Higgins Mill?
I have a pair ofRainier boot. As far as fit, they seem about the same to me as the HM’s. I don’t wear them very often, as they looked good in the photos and an AE NST boot was interesting to me. execution was......less than exciting however. Guess I’ve been spoiled by other companies NST boots. Decent dog walking/ mow the yard boot however.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we all on the same page with our understanding of “double Dainite?”

I understand this to be a full leather midsole in addition to the Dainite. Is that right?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand this.

I think it’s some proton thing maybe with the Surrey and other 1757.

Yeah, it is getting hard for me to imagine ever having any of my shoes resolved. No single pair is worn all that often.

In fact, since become an “enthusiast” I’ve only had two pair resolved:a vintage pair of Florsheim shell and my MTO Long Branches with that soft translucent lug.

I thought so, too, but my leather soles wear a ton. My McGregor pair is soft almost and ready this year for Bedos.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I understand this to be a full leather midsole in addition to the Dainite. Is that right?

I think that's correct. It makes a huge difference in comfort too. My recent C&J Lanark purchase have this too. My Higgins boots are the most comfortable Dainite shoe in my collection.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I imagined two dainite’s would click together like legos and sewn on-double dainite!

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be getting the restocking fee refunded on these ones...

View attachment 1321136

0 for 2 now. I think I'm going to pass on trying the third and final pair in the system and just wait for the trunk show and get a pair in bourbon.
Should warn you that you won’t see a Patriot in a TS. AE doesn’t want to make them. Too many errors in production, part of the reason they are going away.

RMB35

Reaction score
Brown Shell Dundee today
813790D4-7934-4CF6-BF48-3C9415880864.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads