• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello -- new(ish) member, old(ish) guy, first post. I've been lurking and trying to catch up for at least a year -- I think you're all nuts, but of course I mean that in a very good way!
I'd like to ask if you know if AE made the Grey Strandmoks in any form other than CXL. I purchased a new pair the other day and all I can gather from the box and the tongue is that they are "AS" and "5557". I share your obvious pleasure in them -- they're beauties. I'm just not sure what I have here. They look identical to yours. If they are CXL, how would you care for them? If they're not CXL, based on their color and type of leather, how would you care for them if that's the case? Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

5557 is the model number for the grey CXL Strandmok. Congrats on the new Strand purchase!

CXL is nice in that it's a fairly rugged leather. You can literally do nothing to it and have it patina over time if that's what you'd like. I prefer using a little bit of Saphir Renovateur to moisturize the leather and buffing down with a brush.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello -- new(ish) member, old(ish) guy, first post. I've been lurking and trying to catch up for at least a year -- I think you're all nuts, but of course I mean that in a very good way!
I'd like to ask if you know if AE made the Grey Strandmoks in any form other than CXL. I purchased a new pair the other day and all I can gather from the box and the tongue is that they are "AS" and "5557". I share your obvious pleasure in them -- they're beauties. I'm just not sure what I have here. They look identical to yours. If they are CXL, how would you care for them? If they're not CXL, based on their color and type of leather, how would you care for them if that's the case? Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
Welcome to the thread! CXL is a great leather, but it's naturally very oily; Saphir makes a great cream polish especially for it:

(And no; Kirby won't give me anything if you buy it from him.)

I have the neutral, and it works great on all colors of CXL.

Oh, and +1 for @BFT9000's suggestion of Saphir Renovateur; great stuff (which you can also find on the Hanger Project site).

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alamo Plaza. It's about to go down. #illegalreenlistment

20200117_141334.jpg

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. While showing a new pair up for consideration to a friend, who up 'til now has been as consistently voracious a supporter as I've been an acquirer, replied, "You have so many shoes already". ?

"Uhhh... but they're in my size." ?

I don't want to interfere in your personal life, but this person does NOT sound like a friend! He's obviously trying to deprive you... of more shoes. Maybe he's jealous of your shoe collection. Maybe his own collection looks small next to yours. Or maybe he's got shoe issues from childhood. Whatever -- you need to get toxic people out of your life so that you can focus on building your best collection!

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to interfere in your personal life, but this person does NOT sound like a friend! He's obviously trying to deprive you... of more shoes. Maybe he's jealous of your shoe collection. Maybe his own collection looks small next to yours. Or maybe he's got shoe issues from childhood. Whatever -- you need to get toxic people out of your life so that you can focus on building your best collection!
Sad, but true. And if the he's a she, you're in worse trouble still...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do I have a boot problem? I'm beginning to suspect I do.

AE Long Branch (stock) - CXL
AE Long Branch (MTO) - Dublin (thanks Team Charleston)
Wolverine x AE 1,000 Milers - unlined burg shell (thanks Team Charleston)
AE Sauk Drive - "russet" (red) Dublin (cleaning them up for Hogs-'Cats tomorrow)
AE Eagle Country (GMTO) - burgundy
C&J Galway 2 - brown grain
BB x C&J Conneston - dark brown suede
Indy (stock 405)
AE Dundee - burg shell
Loake chukka - dark brown suede
J Crew chukka x ??? - blue suede
Justin (SMU) - burg iquana

That's a dozen, including three wingtip boots. That's crazy. But, if I see something in brown shell or a greenish suede, I'm not sure I could help myself. Do I need an intervention?
I fail to see a problem, seems like a nice start to a boot collection :)

lemmy127

Reaction score
So, I just discovered and pounced on a pair of lightly worn brown shell Park Avenues on eBay for $67 shipped. It was a really strange listing, with these item specifics and no photo of the size, last, and model number:

US Shoe Size (Men's): 13
Size: 9
Shoe Width: B
Size Type: Medium

I honestly have no idea what size to expect to arrive, but if it's 13B, I'll keep them, and if it's 13D, 9D, 9B, or something else, I'll flip them. :slayer:

These arrived today in an eBay-branded plastic bag without any semblance of padding in or around the shoes. One the toes was poking out of a hole in the bag! :censored:

Thankfully shell is shell, so the shoes don't seem to be any worse for the wear. And they definitely were wore once and never again. There's the smallest evidence of a roll in each vamp and the tongues don't even have impressions from the laces. Now comes the decision, do I keep them or flip them to help finance something else? I'm a heavy loafers and longwings kinda guy... I can count the number of times I've worn oxfords since August on one hand. But it's also flawless shell for the deal of the century. Maybe I keep these and dump my brown museum Carmina cap-toes instead. ?‍♂️

Also need to figure out what the hell happened to a pair of vintage Knapp longwings that were delivered earlier today. They weren't in the mailroom when I grabbed these. Hopefully someone accidentally grabbed it in their department's mail and will return them on Monday.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These arrived today in an eBay-branded plastic bag without any semblance of padding in or around the shoes. One the toes was poking out of a hole in the bag! :censored:

Thankfully shell is shell, so the shoes don't seem to be any worse for the wear. And they definitely were wore once and never again. There's the smallest evidence of a roll in each vamp and the tongues don't even have impressions from the laces. Now comes the decision, do I keep them or flip them to help finance something else? I'm a heavy loafers and longwings kinda guy... I can count the number of times I've worn oxfords since August on one hand. But it's also flawless shell for the deal of the century. Maybe I keep these and dump my brown museum Carmina cap-toes instead. ?‍♂️

Also need to figure out what the hell happened to a pair of vintage Knapp longwings that were delivered earlier today. They weren't in the mailroom when I grabbed these. Hopefully someone accidentally grabbed it in their department's mail and will return them on Monday.
But what size ARE they?

schweezly

Reaction score
Chukka’s...can I expect the flaps to close more once they break in? I got these Williamsburg’s but with the heels feel loose. I can’t help but feel that if they had 3rd eyelets it would be a different story.
Or maybe it’s just the nature of 2 eyelet chukkas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads