• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surrey Cap Toes today:

20200117_surreys.jpg

20200117_surreys2.jpg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, I just bought a pair of these because I liked the color... if only I had known

Have you worn them? If not, you could exchange that credit towards something else.

Cambridge for me today. Not very pleased with my own work on the edges. These might be going to Virginia for repairs in 2020.

20200117_081332.jpg

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I have a boot problem? I'm beginning to suspect I do.

AE Long Branch (stock) - CXL
AE Long Branch (MTO) - Dublin (thanks Team Charleston)
Wolverine x AE 1,000 Milers - unlined burg shell (thanks Team Charleston)
AE Sauk Drive - "russet" (red) Dublin (cleaning them up for Hogs-'Cats tomorrow)
AE Eagle Country (GMTO) - burgundy
C&J Galway 2 - brown grain
BB x C&J Conneston - dark brown suede
Indy (stock 405)
AE Dundee - burg shell
Loake chukka - dark brown suede
J Crew chukka x ??? - blue suede
Justin (SMU) - burg iquana

That's a dozen, including three wingtip boots. That's crazy. But, if I see something in brown shell or a greenish suede, I'm not sure I could help myself. Do I need an intervention?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you worn them? If not, you could exchange that credit towards something else.

Cambridge for me today. Not very pleased with my own work on the edges. These might be going to Virginia for repairs in 2020.

View attachment 1319023
IMO, those look quite good.

Agree. Mine have Dainite. Not noticeable when wearing them because, though "casual", the Surrey PTB is a substantially built shoe, imo. ..more akin to a MacNeil than a Nomad, if I were rating it on a scale.
Having worn both, I much prefer the Surrey PTB to the Nomad. If only my heel didn’t slip out of the 1757 like mad.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. Today, while showing an online pic of a new pair up for consideration to a friend, who up 'til now has been as consistently voracious a supporter as I've been an acquirer, replied, "You have so many shoes already". ?

"Uh... but they're in my size." ?

Last edited:

thecoach

Reaction score

I ordered them last night but I am going to wait it out regardless. Bought for 120, so if they fit I'll take them.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, those look quite good.

Having worn both, I much prefer the Surrey PTB to the Nomad. If only my heel didn’t slip out of the 1757 like mad.
Yes, that is a good point as the Surrey's are quite roomy, if not a little "slippy", even for my own 3E feet, and I went down half a size. But nothing a thicker sock can't alleviate.

Meanwhile, with both the Nomad PTB and Shortwing also being described by "AE" as "a relaxed fit" I confidently went ahead with the same half size down and they turned out to be quite snug. But, I am guessing, nothing a little wear wouldn't fix. Yet to be worn outside however as I have hopes of being pardoned (it's way beyond 90 days) into something also suede but more substantial. TS20.1 dancing in my head. ?

Last edited:

Buck McFate

Reaction score
Grey CXL Strandmoks. These are the reason I'm excited for a potential CXL trunk show.

View attachment 1318007

Hello -- new(ish) member, old(ish) guy, first post. I've been lurking and trying to catch up for at least a year -- I think you're all nuts, but of course I mean that in a very good way!
I'd like to ask if you know if AE made the Grey Strandmoks in any form other than CXL. I purchased a new pair the other day and all I can gather from the box and the tongue is that they are "AS" and "5557". I share your obvious pleasure in them -- they're beauties. I'm just not sure what I have here. They look identical to yours. If they are CXL, how would you care for them? If they're not CXL, based on their color and type of leather, how would you care for them if that's the case? Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. While showing a new pair up for consideration to a friend, who up 'til now has been as consistently voracious a supporter as I've been an acquirer, replied, "You have so many shoes already". ?

"Uhhh... but they're in my size." ?

Haha, call me a naysayer, but those are ugly.

Yes, that is a good point as the Surrey's are quite roomy, if not a little "slippy", even for my own 3E feet, and I went down half a size. But nothing a thicker sock can't alleviate.

Meanwhile, with both the Nomad PTB and Shortwing also being described by "AE" as "a relaxed fit" I confidently went ahead with the same half size down and they turned out to be quite snug. But, I am guessing, nothing a little wear wouldn't fix. Yet to be worn outside however as I have hopes of being pardoned (it's way beyond 90 days) into something also suede but more substantial. TS20.1 dancing in my head. ?

Yes, the Nomad fits way smaller than the Surrey. It's a shame they don't have more online sizing advice, and the "all about lasts" page is obfuscating and outdated. As nice as it is to recommend that everyone "get a master fitter" in store, some people just don't have that option. I travel infrequently, and when I do, the LAST thing my wife wants to do is look at shoes with me.

@Buck McFate Regarding the gray leather, I can't comment on whether or not it is CXL, but I will say that my efforts at maintaining my gray leather pairs have been somewhat fruitless, as the leather tends to do whatever the heck it wants. I have a Meltonian gray cream polish and it doesn't really seem to work right. Conditioning gray leather seems to darken it but only temporarily. So the best thing may be to let it run its natural course with occasional conditioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads