• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2020 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone recently posted a picture of their olive Strands on FB and they looked stunning and better than mine. I've come to realize that shoes that are larger in size tend to look better. This is one of the downsides of being an 8 D. Anyone else notice this? I look forward to your "surprise" but please don't invite Shiner.
Are you saying that size matters? My wife has always told me that you just gotta rub it right. Below are my Olive Dylan with no work in different lights.
B199730B-6B63-4670-89F8-82143F6324BF.jpeg
A4EB2058-3519-415E-A1FB-A28CDABF3358.jpeg

And here they are after a shine and some use.
B76975C0-226E-46F7-901A-52E05987D4CC.jpeg

Shoes need wear and love to shine to their full potential.

MajorDash

Reaction score
Someone recently posted a picture of their olive Strands on FB and they looked stunning and better than mine. I've come to realize that shoes that are larger in size tend to look better. This is one of the downsides of being an 8 D. Anyone else notice this? I look forward to your "surprise" but please don't invite Shiner.
As a 8EEE I feel your pain. My Cornwallis looks alright, but the shoe looks better when it isn’t short and wide.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before we get to new shoes today. How about a Patriot.
B7FA8415-962B-4F59-AC9F-7FC58414130B.jpeg

Lionel Hutz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General query for other large footed posters:

What do you do on stairs to protect the back of your shoes from scuffing?

I placed my feet diagonally for a number of years when wearing shell and now I generally aim to place the ball of my foot on the edge of the stair to keep my heel from scuffing on the face of the stair (though this technique can lead to disaster if you have a new sole and/or if the metal edge of the stair is slick)

It sucks to have to think about walking down stairs, anyone else got a trick I haven't though of?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
General query for other large footed posters:

What do you do on stairs to protect the back of your shoes from scuffing?

I placed my feet diagonally for a number of years when wearing shell and now I generally aim to place the ball of my foot on the edge of the stair to keep my heel from scuffing on the face of the stair (though this technique can lead to disaster if you have a new sole and/or if the metal edge of the stair is slick)

It sucks to have to think about walking down stairs, anyone else got a trick I haven't though of?
Our metal grated stairs up to the mezzanine are especially fun because they aren't was wide as some. The ball of my foot hits the edge of the stair even when I push my foot back, so I just slow down going down.
As far as scuffing, I don't have too much an issue with that. The 360 welt on most of my pairs means generally the edge hits before the uppers, and the edges are easy to redress. Biggest thing I'd say is just to slow down. :p

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q: anyone with Allen Edmonds Macneils and Alden LWB/975s. Wondering about size translation...(also posting in Alden thread). I wear the MacNeil in 10eee; hoping for some 975s. Thanks 😊
I don't know about the widths issue versus Barrie, but the general consensus (90%/most all) guys take Barrie 1/2 size down.

That would put you at 9.5EEE; you're probably a sure fit at that size, but if not, it'll give you a starting spot to work on fitting.

Well, as long as @savvysartorial did it, so will I: my Wingtip Wednesday entry is also from that other American "A" brand, and is also Color 8...
My kind of guy! Love those puppies. One of the shoes that really looks nice with the mahogany welt or the antique!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.