• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkclassic

Reaction score
hm 071620.jpg

Nice to hear from @ae_ashley stoking the trunk show coals. Rockin the chili HM today.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
General query for other large footed posters:

What do you do on stairs to protect the back of your shoes from scuffing?

I placed my feet diagonally for a number of years when wearing shell and now I generally aim to place the ball of my foot on the edge of the stair to keep my heel from scuffing on the face of the stair (though this technique can lead to disaster if you have a new sole and/or if the metal edge of the stair is slick)

It sucks to have to think about walking down stairs, anyone else got a trick I haven't though of?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
General query for other large footed posters:

What do you do on stairs to protect the back of your shoes from scuffing?

I placed my feet diagonally for a number of years when wearing shell and now I generally aim to place the ball of my foot on the edge of the stair to keep my heel from scuffing on the face of the stair (though this technique can lead to disaster if you have a new sole and/or if the metal edge of the stair is slick)

It sucks to have to think about walking down stairs, anyone else got a trick I haven't though of?
Our metal grated stairs up to the mezzanine are especially fun because they aren't was wide as some. The ball of my foot hits the edge of the stair even when I push my foot back, so I just slow down going down.
As far as scuffing, I don't have too much an issue with that. The 360 welt on most of my pairs means generally the edge hits before the uppers, and the edges are easy to redress. Biggest thing I'd say is just to slow down. :p

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Q: anyone with Allen Edmonds Macneils and Alden LWB/975s. Wondering about size translation...(also posting in Alden thread). I wear the MacNeil in 10eee; hoping for some 975s. Thanks ?

I don't know about the widths issue versus Barrie, but the general consensus (90%/most all) guys take Barrie 1/2 size down.

That would put you at 9.5EEE; you're probably a sure fit at that size, but if not, it'll give you a starting spot to work on fitting.

Well, as long as @savvysartorial did it, so will I: my Wingtip Wednesday entry is also from that other American "A" brand, and is also Color 8...

My kind of guy! Love those puppies. One of the shoes that really looks nice with the mahogany welt or the antique!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picking up my shoes now.
C4F396A2-FE04-436A-AC66-C8B434A69FA9.jpeg

Initial try on.
D27362C1-6085-44F9-9A51-C104FCE9A468.jpeg

Outside.
233E8750-0904-4F4D-9E93-F01BECAC7888.jpeg

After a little love.
EAE3B6C6-98DD-482F-B9E0-6F07420B86B0.jpeg

The no surprise pair. Bone suede Dylan.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
@madhat
@smfdoc

Can you guy please provide an assist on the fit of the schautal? I searched and noticed that you both have pairs and like them. Would it be reasonable to assume that they'll be lasted a bit tighter than a shell macneil? Would you size the same? Upsize a width a possibility?

Ken McGregor

Reaction score
Leather soles, what and why? I've assumed, and read from all the avant garde fashionista journalists, that double leather soles make shoes last longer. But now I'm being told that double is for comfort and rough terrain, and has no effect on sole lifetime. Also that single leather can last hundreds of miles on concrete. Which someone should tell to my PA, which I only wear sundays and after a few months I've chewed halfway through the tip of the sole (less than 20 miles of concrete walking on em'). I read all this from veteran SF members (not the AE thread), so are they full of it? Because that thread was unanimous about the glories of single leather soles, which I'm beginning to think are distilled medocrity compared to rubber. As a humble college student who tries to dress well, leather soles seem to be the greatest obstacle, but I keep being told they're amazing! Why? And do double soles do anything? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics