• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2020 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SWEET, if you decide to offload the Jazz........
Thanks - I'll be keeping the Jazz, though; it's a special bass...
Back in the spring of 2013, I attended one of Victor Wooten's Bass and Nature Camps, and one of the highlights of that experience was getting to meet and spend time with one of my bass heroes, Chuck Rainey (as one of the instructors at the camp put it, "the bass player on the soundtrack of my life").

One day, Chuck was looking at my bass kinda funny, and he came over and asked if he could hold it for a minute. Of course, I said yes, and he held it for a minute with his eyes closed, then handed it back to me and went back to teaching the class.

Later on at dinner, I asked him why he did that, and he told me that every once in a while, he'd see a sort of greenish aura surrounding a bass (and they were always a Fender Jazz bass), and he wanted to hold it to see if he felt anything from it. And when I asked the obvious question, he said he had. I asked him what it meant, and he said, "I don't know. Maybe one day I'll figure it out. But that's a special bass you got there."

So you can see why I have no intention of ever letting that bass go. :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm away from my apartment so I don't have my Mesa/Boogie Mark IV with me. I've owned a Dual Rectifier back in 2001 and didn't like it, and later owned a Dual Caliber 3 head (and later sold). None of those compared to the beautiful Mark IV. The amp just kills it in almost any style. I was so pleased that I sold my old Marshall head. I have one guitar with active pickups and two with passive and have come to realize I prefer passive (although EMG are still great pickups). I put those Fender Jeff Beck pickups in my Blade and it sounds fantastic now. I even learned how to solder guitar pickups with the help of Mrs. Profila.

@smfdoc -- very interesting -- didn't know you also played guitar! Then again, we only got talk for about 2 hours before you took off for the east. :(

To keep this AE-related, I think I'm going to try to exchange my tan Strandmoks for another pair. There is a weird bump inside the insole by the big toe that I'm not sure if it will go away.
Never had a Mesa, been a Fender amp or Vox guy.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks - I'll be keeping the Jazz, though; it's a special bass...
Back in the spring of 2013, I attended one of Victor Wooten's Bass and Nature Camps, and one of the highlights of that experience was getting to meet and spend time with one of my bass heroes, Chuck Rainey (as one of the instructors at the camp put it, "the bass player on the soundtrack of my life").

One day, Chuck was looking at my bass kinda funny, and he came over and asked if he could hold it for a minute. Of course, I said yes, and he held it for a minute with his eyes closed, then handed it back to me and went back to teaching the class.

Later on at dinner, I asked him why he did that, and he told me that every once in a while, he'd see a sort of greenish aura surrounding a bass (and they were always a Fender Jazz bass), and he wanted to hold it to see if he felt anything from it. And when I asked the obvious question, he said he had. I asked him what it meant, and he said, "I don't know. Maybe one day I'll figure it out. But that's a special bass you got there."

So you can see why I have no intention of ever letting that bass go. :)
That's a great story, he is a great bass player. I used to jam with Angus Thomas, but he was light years beyond my skill set, just played rhythm and let him take off.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I beat on the guitar as I am only self taught with limited skills. i played as a teen and a little as an adult. I decided to get a new guitar, so I picked this up in Nazareth. This ended a lusting that has lasted a half century.

View attachment 1421990

My renewed interest in guitar stems from “The other favorites” on YouTube. His name is Joshua Lee Turner and I highly recommend you check out his channel at Josh Turner Guitar. Josh is the first guy playing on this video. An old favorite for people of the right age. This video was his Thank You for passing 10 million views.

So what model is that?

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much everybody at that camp was light years beyond me, too - the instructors included Chuck Rainey, Victor Wooten, John Patitucci, Matt Garrison, Steve Bailey, Anthony Wellington, and Dave Welsch... And that's not even counting the "jam band" Victor brought in on the last night of camp: I never thought I'd be on stage as the bassist with the Wooten Brothers (Regi, Roy, and Joseph) and a half dozen Nashville studio players/singers. It was an awesome experience.

Regi Wooten taking a solo while I play bass (can't remember name of the Nashville picker behind us; great player, though):

regi-me-and-victors-stack.jpg

And me with Chuck Rainey the day he saw the aura:

chuck-rainey-and-me-small.jpg

(Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics, and whoever took the picture of me and Chuck apparently had the shakes, but the rule is "pics or it didn't happen"...)

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there something special about cigar Leeds? I have not seen one without bad bend or straight up loose grain.
546D1AEE-CA6B-4482-9F14-F94E663A828B.jpeg

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, I am going to find a way to get a burnished olive weave strand. Even if I have to stuff it with paper.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tropical storm is churning up the coast and that means a solid wet day. Time for the Thousand Oaks. I was under the impression these were reverse chamois. The 2016 catalog hedges their bet and says they are "nubuck-like", whatever the heck that means. That and rubber lug soles means they are the go to shoe for such a day.

View attachment 1421560
Hmmm. What's the difference between these two?

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rain later today means Tupelo now.
C9A8BE6F-2C12-41E8-986A-2AA0145C3B4C.jpeg

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.