• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpgaloot

Reaction score
I think there are parallels between AE and BB. Originally geared for "traditional look" buyers, both expanded into a great many retail outlets, both moved some production overseas, both started chasing fashion trends to broaden their appeal; both started an endless cycle of heavy discounting. I won't bring up QC.

PE groups - as a rule - want to come in, make numbers look better, then flip. Frequently that comes from messing with inventory and product lines chasing supposed efficiencies and decreasing payroll, which eventually (sometimes quickly) leads to decreased customer service and then reduced customer satisfaction. They really aren't wired to make a company smaller, with fewer retail channels, and improved quality control. It simply isn't what they usually do. And if some buyer wanted to do just that, they would have to pay more than necessary for their new scheme to work.

In other words, if I wanted to buy BB or AE to "make it smaller but better" I'd still be bidding against the next PE group wanting to buy it to make it larger and worse. And the price would be significant. The brand still has value to be exploited until every ounce of goodwill is wrung out of it, until it is finally 100% overseas (or its suppliers are) and of much poorer quality and/or finally goes out of business all together. Like Florshiem or Hanover. So if I wanted to buy BB and turn it into J Press (or the old BB) I'd have to outbid all the PE groups who want to turn it into H&M and flip it. I can't pay that price simply so I can close a bunch of stores, lose a lot of sales. Not unless I was a zillionaire on some sort of quest for personal amusement. Like some collector paying a ton for some vintage car he has no intention of ever selling.

So, I see no future for BB to go back to what it did well. It is too big. This is what happens when heritage brands decide they want to be in lots of malls (I'm looking at you Neiman-Marcus). They change into something else and then are no longer the company that made them popular in the first place.

Also, I don't see bankruptcy as a long term solution. Companies that reorganize and then succeed usually have big debt problems but otherwise a decent working model. They make some widget that people still want to buy but the company has saddled itself with debt. Restructure that and they can still go out and make and sell their widgets. BB's problem is a flawed concept. They moved into coast to coast brick and mortar stores and ran into fast fashion and there's no going back. Bankruptcy won't fix that.

Which is a shame. I really like Brooks Brothers. Or at least, I like the idea of how Brooks Brothers used to be.

One of the best assessments I've read. Thanks for posting!

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think there are parallels between AE and BB. Originally geared for "traditional look" buyers, both expanded into a great many retail outlets, both moved some production overseas, both started chasing fashion trends to broaden their appeal; both started an endless cycle of heavy discounting. I won't bring up QC.

PE groups - as a rule - want to come in, make numbers look better, then flip. Frequently that comes from messing with inventory and product lines chasing supposed efficiencies and decreasing payroll, which eventually (sometimes quickly) leads to decreased customer service and then reduced customer satisfaction. They really aren't wired to make a company smaller, with fewer retail channels, and improved quality control. It simply isn't what they usually do. And if some buyer wanted to do just that, they would have to pay more than necessary for their new scheme to work.

In other words, if I wanted to buy BB or AE to "make it smaller but better" I'd still be bidding against the next PE group wanting to buy it to make it larger and worse. And the price would be significant. The brand still has value to be exploited until every ounce of goodwill is wrung out of it, until it is finally 100% overseas (or its suppliers are) and of much poorer quality and/or finally goes out of business all together. Like Florshiem or Hanover. So if I wanted to buy BB and turn it into J Press (or the old BB) I'd have to outbid all the PE groups who want to turn it into H&M and flip it. I can't pay that price simply so I can close a bunch of stores, lose a lot of sales. Not unless I was a zillionaire on some sort of quest for personal amusement. Like some collector paying a ton for some vintage car he has no intention of ever selling.

So, I see no future for BB to go back to what it did well. It is too big. This is what happens when heritage brands decide they want to be in lots of malls (I'm looking at you Neiman-Marcus). They change into something else and then are no longer the company that made them popular in the first place.

Also, I don't see bankruptcy as a long term solution. Companies that reorganize and then succeed usually have big debt problems but otherwise a decent working model. They make some widget that people still want to buy but the company has saddled itself with debt. Restructure that and they can still go out and make and sell their widgets. BB's problem is a flawed concept. They moved into coast to coast brick and mortar stores and ran into fast fashion and there's no going back. Bankruptcy won't fix that.

Which is a shame. I really like Brooks Brothers. Or at least, I like the idea of how Brooks Brothers used to be.

and it should be noted that Neiman-Marcus was purchased by a PE group (Texas Pacific Group IIRC) before embarking on their disastrous debt-laden expansion so it is an example of the same phenomena you have identified with BB and AE

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and it should be noted that Neiman-Marcus was purchased by a PE group before embarking on their disastrous debt-laden expansion so it is an example of the same phenomena you have identified with BB and AE
Hmmm. Neimann-Marcus. Is that how you spell Needless-Markup? That is the way we always pronounced it. Might be my Spanish language issues.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok—so here’s my secret. I already go up in the 65! I’m a weirdo, and I hate shoes touching my pinky toes (like at all). So I size up a little so the toe sits in the wide part of the curve.

Interesting. A lot my shoes leave me no choice but to have my left pinkie always touching the wall of the upper. My left foot is wider than the right in the ball. I can sometimes size up, but it sometimes messes up the fit of the heel and instep. Most of the time, I prefer to keep my size smaller so that I get a good fit everywhere else, except for the minor issue of the left pinkie. I wore my Leeds 2.0 to Costco this morning and I could feel it a bit. I'm used to it at this point.

I also realized not all masks are created equal. Tried some other brand today and I could barely breathe. Went back to my old mask and felt fine.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. A lot my shoes leave me no choice but to have my left pinkie always touching the wall of the upper. My left foot is wider than the right in the ball. I can sometimes size up, but it sometimes messes up the fit of the heel and instep. Most of the time, I prefer to keep my size smaller so that I get a good fit everywhere else, except for the minor issue of the left pinkie. I wore my Leeds 2.0 to Costco this morning and I could feel it a bit. I'm used to it at this point.

I also realized not all masks are created equal. Tried some other brand today and I could barely breathe. Went back to my old mask and felt fine.
I’m not the norm—and I shouldnt be :)
Having a wide forefoot, I can give a good tying to hold the shoe at the ankle in place while the toes run wild. This is hard to communicate when buying in stores for the first time. One day—bespoke (maybe). It feels like such a crapshoot sometimes... AE and Alden have been lifesavers. Do you wear a d width?

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there’s a shortage, ask if you can get more than face value for them. ;)

Gustin has a deal on Horween Corner wallets for $35. Supposed to hold 10 cards. I’ma try the reverse 8. Hope I can fit close to ten cards. I want minimalist but need to carry more cards than 4.
Looks great. Thanks. Now deciding on the natural or green. hmmm.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some wingtips for wingtip "W", but I'm going to wear these sneakers that just arrived.

AEWingtip & Leather Sneakers.jpg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Yogi Berra said, "It's deja vu all over again".

Wearing tan suede Strandmok 0.0's again today.

IMG_4668.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, a samurai (with a boba) and me.

(Yes, know my belt doesn't match my shoes. Never understood the bizarre belt-must-match-shoes fetish that infects some people.)

IMG_4659.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, a warm potato and chicken salad and me at Tuscan Son in West Los Angeles.

IMG_4664.jpeg

Making the best of being back to outdoor dining only for at least two more weeks.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WEASEL ALERT

Who here is 8D? ODENWALDS! This is for you!

*Disclaimer - not my listing/no affiliation.
View attachment 1420625

And on sale from their original $500 listing. :rotflmao:

Honestly, pretty nice boot, but I kind of lost interest in the Odenwald after the Higgins came to dominate the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics